Am I the only one that thinks Laugh-In is still funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

Every time this show is mentioned, people act like it's dated and corny and deserves to forever be locked up in the vaults. I don't understand the criticism! Seeing episodes and clips of the show never fails to crack me up. Am I completely weird?! OK, it may be dated, but I don't see how that makes it unfunny.

RickH and Mister Charlie like this.
  2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

its dated by time and events ! same as monty python both shows you can make a best of for about an hour!

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

where do you see laugh in?

4. OldSoul

YouTube, PBS specials, and the Best Of DVDs.

5. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

For those of who where there, it still has its moments (kinda like looking at an album of old photos), but for those who weren't, probably not so much, as it was just way too topical.

Definitely plays better when viewed via "best of" compilations (especially when some context is provided for those who are unfamiliar with many of the cultural references). That said, as much as I still enjoy parts of it, I can't ever see myself sitting down and watching any complete episodes ever again.

rburly likes this.
  6. OldSoul

But I wasn't there, and I viewed full episodes. I must just be weird. I think this show is hilarious and deserves a better legacy than it has.

dkmonroe likes this.
  7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I wasn't there either. I discovered the show in the 80s & I think it's hilarious.

Darryl

OldSoul likes this.
  8. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I still love it. Great performers and a fast pace where any references you might not get zip right by.

Uncle Al just kills me every time.

OldSoul and showtaper like this.
  9. Now there's a comparison I won't let stand! I wasn't around for either Python or Laugh-In, but while the latter is an intermittently amusing period piece of mainly historical interest, Python is still gold, baby!

Rufus McDufus and goodiesguy like this.
  10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah, there was a resurgence of the show in the mid-80s. 30-minute episodes syndicated on afternoon TV, perhaps? I can't recall exactly. I found it trippy and amusing as a preteen, but it's basically insufferable to me now in anything other than small doses. Once you get past the flower power look and references of the thing, it just isn't funny. To each his own of course.

dan c

11. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Laugh-in is still gold too. It's a classic. There's richness there. I haven't sat down and watched an episode since I was a kid but whenever I see a clip it makes me smile or chuckle and that's what's important isn't it? It's still got legs but having said that, it is of its time and there'll likely be nothing like it again. Seeing this post made me go read the wikipedia page on it. Interesting to see that Lorne Michaels was a writer on the show.

OldSoul likes this.
  12. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

13. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

In all honesty, apart from Tiny Tim's appearances and it's groovy theme tune, it's a load of crap IMO. I'm yet to crack a laugh at anything I've seen from it. I do however want to see it's little known spin-off Turn-On which didn't even get through it's first episode.

Dan C likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I still lose it when I see Goldie crack up. She had one of the most contagious laughs in Hollywood, even better than Julia.

15. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

It was a great show, and I still enjoy the few episodes I've been able to find.

16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've seen clips of "Turn-On". It was literally, like, five second random shots of a guy in a diaper, a guy riding a wooden horse, a bunch of Klansmen... I didn't get it. I'd be curious to see the entire episode, though. (Sadly, no one seems to have the second episode, which featured the Monkees.)

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Turn On was most certainly NOT a Laugh-In spin off. It was ABC's intended competition (or rip-off, or bandwagon jumping) for NBC's Laugh-In. I'd love to see it too, as I missed it's only showing.

If ever there was a series crying out for complete seacon sets, this is it, before all us boomers die off. The 2 best-ofs are woefully insufficient.

OldSoul likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, Turn-On was producer George Schlatter's very short-lived "edgier" companion show on ABC. I think Laugh-In was a very funny show for its time, but 40 years later... not so much. It's definitely got some moments here and there, and the fast-paced editing was extremely innovative for its time.

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

OK, so it WAS a spin-off.

20. Do the full Turn-On episodes even still exist anywhere? The two episodes produced would certainly make for an interesting curio-cum-period piece.

21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I don't think that the Flying Circus is nearly as dated. Did you know that there's a lake underneath this forum? ;)

MLutthans likes this.
  22. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

My understanding is that George Schlatter still has all the masters for the show (I believe there were more than two episodes in the can as well).

thestereofan likes this.
  23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I was watching it on Nick at Nite.

Darryl

24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Here's a short clip of Turn-On:

25. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have all of the best of DVDs and still love it. I can see, though where it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, and there are some bits that make me cringe.

I especially love seeing Sammy Davis, Jr. in full nehru jacket/huge medallion/bell bottomed mod regalia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.