Amazon alternatives for streaming a huge amount of uploaded mp3 music?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by +forum+, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. +forum+

+forum+ Active Member Thread Starter

As I am sure you know Amazon is ending their service for streaming your own uploaded songs. For now they say they will hold what is already there (if you click 'keep my songs'), but I was told by someone at the company not to trust that longterm as they may even pull the plug totally by the end of 2019. If it lasts longterm I am all set even with no future uploads allowed as I already have all I want @ about 75k songs. (all legally ripped from CDs and I have hard drive backups). I am soley into older music and if I buy anything in the future, it would be on vinyl and not ripped.

With that said ... I was shocked Amazon would pull the plug the way they did ... so I currently am looking into alernatives if they cut the service entirely (for user prior uploaded songs). Are there any companies that can support a 75k mp3 song collection for streaming? If need be I could use 2 services and break it up by musical genre. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I haven't done this yet, but I'm pretty sure you can set up your own streaming with JRiver Media Center. You just need to configure your router at the house and you can stream your entire library to any device with a web connection.

3. +forum+

+forum+ Active Member Thread Starter

As an update.... my Amazon music service renewal timeframe passed, and despite what they say about keeping your songs if you select that, they erased about 85 perecent of my music collection in one day. Good thing I have back ups. Nonetheless, this will make me rethink buying from Amazon again in general, as they simply cannot be trusted with your digital information. I chose them thinking that they being a large company would be the 'safer' choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.