Amazon and The Format Wars

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoldenBoy, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

I was just wondering, has Amazon backed any particular format, DVD-A or SACD? I notice that they have set up a separate DVD-A 'department', whereas they do sell many SACD's, but they are just mixed in with the regular CD's. The SACD's are also a bit more complicated to find. Unless you do a specific search for SACD, there is really not much mention of it on their site. The DVD section does, however, mention DVD-A and has a link to their DVD-A section.

2. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Outside of the audiophile sites like acoustic sounds, music direct, red trumpet etc... I havent seen any of the main stream big on line places like cdnow, cduniverse, bestbuy have a way to find sacd in a search you need to know what title you want. maybe Im doing something wrong.

3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Well, like I said, if you do a search on Amazon for SACD, it will bring up the whole list of SACD titles they carry. CDNow, I don't think they carry SACD, but they do carry DVD-A. I don't know about Best Buy or CDUniverse. I know Tower and HMV both have links to their SACD and DVD-A sections, as well as being able to find SACD titles by doing a search for SACD, or by clicking on alternate formats when they bring up a title. Also, Tower lets you organize search results by format and lists which formats are available for a particular search result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.