Amazon introduces Autorip CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bonnerj, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

.. and people say piracy leads to underpriced music. :D
    I bet it will be impossible to find Amazon's 'deal' with the rights owners for this scheme, but I bet there is one.

I actually see places like this, where we care about the particular transfers and masterings, becoming increasingly important in the future.
    People will want to know.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thank you.

3. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I'd be on with a lossless version, but then, why buy the CD at that point.
    It's almost the same with new vinyl records with a free Mp3 download card attached.

4. sunsetandgower

sunsetandgower Forum Resident

So, does this put the whole assumption that its illegal to keep ripped copies of CDs that you have discarded or sold in question?

Interesting precedent that is being set here.

BeatleJWOL and drivingfrog like this.
  5. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

There might be a way to initiate this manually. Maybe going to the order page for the CDs?

6. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Not everything is eligible for AutoRip.

7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

The latter is very much what I prefer: a code for mp3 (or ideally iTunes) for a download to play while I'm out and about and the record for a full music listening session.

coldethyl likes this.
  8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Some of these don't have all the tracks- I bought the deluxe 2CD reissue of Medicine's "The Buried Life" and only the original release tracks show up in the player...

9. drivingfrog

Are all the tracks in that set available as buyable downloads? It might only have the bonus tracks for that release on the database.

10. Col Kepper

I bought Sunfighter by Paul Kantner & Grace Slick and only THREE songs shows up on the cloud player.
    One other album that I bought from Amazon, Blows Against The Empire that shows it is available for Autorip... NONE of the songs are on my cloud.

11. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I checked-that seems to be the case with this one--oddly I bought the 2 cd of McCartney's "Band On The Run" but don't get any bonuses yet the entire "McCartney II" deluxe I bought is all there-- I also purchased the disc of Lee Hazlewood's "Singles Nudes and Backsides"- they sell all 17 songs as mp3s but only 8 of them appear in my player

12. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

and it goes without saying nothing bought from secondary sellers ("Import cds" etc) shows up...

ShallowMemory and drivingfrog like this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This is really cool. Also glad I found out about it here as I received no email. I just logged into my cloud & see hundreds of new titles. It's going back years too. I do notice some things not included - particularly box sets where the individual titles in the boxes are available as mp3s on Amazon. But can't complain.

Interesting how many CDs I've bought as gifts are now there - things I would never add myself!

And of course, all of the audiophile releases are just the standard mp3s. But it's still pretty cool. I hope it means when a new release comes out, I can hear it here right away. I have a few pre-orders out right now so we'll see...

14. drivingfrog

Now to see if they'll implement the same for vinyl.

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

As both a Kindle owner and Prime video watcher, It would be awesome if they did this with my book or DVD/Blu purchases.

dlokazip likes this.
  16. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I bought Af Machine Head from Amazon. Got the autorip, and 5 of the seven songs are the Roger Glover remix. Don't mind, been meaning to pickup that up anyway, but I think this shows we're not getting the same mix/mastering as what was ordered.

17. Col Kepper

There is a cap to the number of mp3's that will be hosted on there before you MUST purchase Amazon Cloud Premium... I knew that there was a catch somewhere!

18. swanlee

swanlee Active Member

Jesus can we kill MP3 already? kill it please, it has polluted audio for far to long and in this day and age of high bandwidth and large hard drive for even portable devices it is not needed.

WalterDigsTunes likes this.
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I don't think titles purchased from Amazon are counted towards the limit.

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Holy crap, I now have the Doors Perception box in MP3 in my Cloud player! :laugh: Plus Deep Purple In Rock, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (which I bought like 5 years ago) and a couple more! Very cool!

Yeah, I'd rather they weren't Mp3, but for free I can't complain.

21. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Now I have Rod Stewart American Songbook albums that I bought for my Mom in my Cloud Player. EEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!

drivingfrog, getitgoin and bonnerj like this.
  22. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

I wonder if they will offer auto-rip on used CDs you buy through marketplace.

I wonder if they will offer auto-rip for CDs that cost less brand new than the MP3 album -- which does happen on occasion.

I think this is a convenience for some, just another little service that can help amazon get a leg up on the competition. Not everyone cares, but some will. Not a big deal, just a little bonus.

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Delete anything you don't want in your cloud player. I have deleted MP3s from my Cloud Player that I had bought from Amazon first, and then later bought the actual CD from a store such as Taylor Swift's "Fearless" as an example.

24. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Shhh, don't tell the RIAA!

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The RIAA will find out about this anyway as there are record execs that surf this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.