Amazon Marketplace cutting off low-volume sellers

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by fantailfan, May 9, 2017.

1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Amazon has huge buying power. Look what happened to the book market.
    I don't buy that much music media from Amazon anyway, but agree that they probably did get some pressure over counterfeits. However, wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy directly from the labels and keep all the profit? (I never sold anything through Amazon so I don't know how much they take from you as a third party seller).
    I did get a couple of scores on Amazon over the years- one was supposed to be a reissue of an extremely rare prog album, and the seller sent me an unplayed still in shrink original pressing. Oops. That happened more than once, but it was sheer luck on my part and/or ignorance on the part of the seller- who figured, oh this guy wants that new reissue, I'll just send him this old record, what's the difference? In the first case, probably about a grand or more.
    So, if you are a label owner, presumably you can still sell under the new rules even if your output is small/niche stuff?

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I checked my inventory a few days ago and they wiped me out. :shrug:

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Forum Resident

They took down three of my items out of 295. Not bad. All nice CDs, and not cheap ones either.

Inactive

Turtle Soup [Audio CD] Turtles …
    B000003GZC

Inactive

Mstislav Rostropovich: The Russian Years [Audio CD] Mstislav Rostropovich; Lopes-Graca; Knipper; Vainberg; Tishchenko; Khachatuian and Toyama …
    B0000247G5

Inactive

Live From Isle Of Wight [Audio CD] The Who …

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Forum Resident

In a nutshell what type of seller were you? High end gold disc audiophile or the ...........

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Some OOP MFSL, import boxed sets, all oop cd's, alternative, mostly. I was really surprised. I don't think it matters what type of stuff as long as it can fall under the heading of "popular music". They seem to want all "collector-type" selling individuals like I was GONE. All the bigger "store-front" mega sellers get the playing field all to themselves. :realmad:

Unless, of course, they are next.......:whistle:

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

Amusingly, one of the items they restricted me from selling is a listing that I added to Amazon--a long tail set that basically no one else sells.

"Popular"...? Haha...

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Forum Resident

Label and price range, please.

8. I think Amazon is largely doing these token moves to appease the labels and larger distributors they deal with. Given how random the removed items appear to be, I don't think there is much rhyme or reason behind the choices.

rob68 likes this.
  9. rob68

rob68 Forum Resident

I finally logged in to Amazon today. They removed four of the eight CDs that I had listed. One Doors CD but not another Doors CD, which makes no sense....3CD Simon & Garfunkel set...Carpenters...Jeff Buckley. Ha! What a joke.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Forum Resident

They may be asked to do another round of the choppping block later.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm a "Citizens For Boysenberry Jam" Fan

I think they are pulling stuff because it's hurting their MP3 sales

12. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Since this new rule I've noticed used classical listings have dried up a lot. Discs are now on average $7 and up. CDs that are still in print and can be bought from UK classical dealers brand new for (more often) significantly less than what the third party sellers are listing them for on Amazon for used discs. I bought a complete series of Szigeti for 25 GBP shipped from the UK, this would have been over $100 on Amazon for used CDs, before this rule the price would have been closer (probably slightly higher since they don't combine shipping) to the UK dealer's.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017