Amazon Prime streaming video dead after Sept. 15. (On Certain BD Players ) *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

I did, I just ordered a Roku, and it might even be better than this Bluray player, which is a piece of junk anyway. Interestingly, though, TCM has a stream for like $20 a month or something. To get TCM on Dish is like $70 a month, because you have to buy 200 channels you don't watch just to get the one that you do.

Coricama likes this.
  2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Internet TV will destroy cable and satellite eventually, if there was an NFL and college football package where I could buy games on a pay per view basis, I would be done with satellite.

3. I didn't see the reason Amazon ended Amazon Instant Video on so many devices but I did get an email informing me it was going to happen. I do have several devices that will no longer work with Amazon Instant Video but fortunately I have at least one that will continue to work at each of three HDTVs we have.

Off topic but an odd comedy from New Zealand, What We Do In the Shadows, a 99 cent rental right now was worth the price for me. It might be that it is coming to Amazon Prime Instant Video soon, I do't know, but I had a credit to use so I rented it, pretty funny take on vampire movies for my sense of humor.

http://www.amazon.com/What-We-Shado...TF8&qid=1440162794&sr=8-1&keywords=we+shadows

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Have you not seen Flight Of The Conchords?

5. Nope. Do I need to watch it?

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It was a short-lived (2007-09) Musical Comedy on HBO with one of the guys in the movie. I was pretty sure that you hadn't seen it because mentioning FOTC goes hand in hand with watching What We Do In The Shadows. I thought it was fantastic...it also helped launch the career of Kristen Schaal. This show was pretty huge as it was airing.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  7. YES!!!!!!!!!

8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I would argue from the customer's standpoint that since I'm not getting any better video from the new codec, there was no reason to change it and break my appliance.

Jeff Edwards likes this.
  9. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Ironically, part of the reason I got rid of Amazon Prime was because they removed most of the BBC shows they had, and then they hire the Top Gear guys to do a show for them.
    Still probably won't subscribe again though.

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't use commercial paid streaming video services myself, but I did buy a 2nd streaming box last year because my older Sony, which had Pandora, did not offer Rhapsody. I bought the Latest WD box myself. Just be aware, that there is no Netflix streaming app on the WD box. I thought that this is very odd because so many people use it.

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I stream Amazon Prime video through a Wii-U system; do I have anything to worry about?

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I doubt it. The Wii U is still a really new system. I'm sure it will be supported for at least another 3 or 4 years.

13. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

The rule of all things internet is, "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway." My guess would be that they found a codec that uses less data, so Amazon would take a smaller chunk of bandwidth. I'd heard that Netflix consumes 1/3 of the entire internet. But if they "allowed" people to record TV programs, they wouldn't have to use even more bandwidth to watch something twice.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, codecs are very amenable to improvements but especially now when 4K streaming is about to take off and codecs need to be upgraded to support the new H.265 compression standard.

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Sweetness! This bandwidth windfall means they might break a few machines, but the price goes down for everybody, right? I love improvements.

16. JBStephens

Yes, and things at the supermarket keep getting bigger every year. :D

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, if you go to Sam's Club they seem to be! :)

18. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Is that true, or did you forget to insert a smirking smilie icon?

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's true. I probably save at least $3k to $5k a year.

20. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Amazing! Thanks.

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I bought a Sony Bly Ray/SACD player as a backup for my Denon Blu Ray SACD unit.
    YouTube stopped working on my Sony a few months ago.
    A shame really because it was nice to watch YouTube clips without having to plug in a HDMI from my PC.
    But I knew it was never going to last. Once the regular updates stopped for the Sony, the writing was on the wall.
    C'est la vie and all that.

22. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.