Amazon Prime worth it?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Beholdentonoone, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wasnt sure where you were quite going with your comment but I think the issue is we didn't ask for a streaming service, most of us already have a streaming service we are paying for, therefore their's adds no value. You are being asked to pay more for services you didn't ask for in the first place. I agree totally with your statement that if you feel like I do about their streaming service, then there is definitely declining utility especially when we are being asked to pay more. $79 for two day shipping was a nice deal....now they are complicating the service with totally meaningless add ons, at least for many of us. Stick to selling merch and shipping as best you can....streaming video? Really? How do they connect the two? I know a lot of people that still don't get fast enough internet speed to even use streaming. Bad move Amazon. I think they should have a regular Prime at $79 and then a Deluxe Prime with the other perks for the $99. And I bet we will see that within a year, unless they purposely want less people using Prime.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Your ranting is about 2-3 years late. Streaming video was added back then, with no price increase until now.

GentleSenator likes this.
  3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Still worth it after all these years.

PennyLanes likes this.
  4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The only thing of value to me in Prime is the streaming service.

RSharpe likes this.
  5. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

My subscription runs out in September, will not renew. Third party seller prices usually much cheaper and I've gotten more patient in waiting thru the years. I'll use that hundred dollars on new music. :)

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And for you, well worth it then...awesome! But I only wanted the superior shipping service, which I will pay extra for on an as needed basis. I do think their streaming service is fine, but I already get the same media paying for other streaming services. They need to remember their core business, imo. Now if a deal is marginal, Prime won't be the deciding factor as it would have been before. I still think this is a bad move on their part.

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Good point, but remember not all of us may have used streaming services back then. My family and I only went nearly full time streaming mid last year, and Amazon isnt offering anything significantly better on their service than the others I already pay for. I find nearly 100% of our streaming is through Netflix and Hulu Plus. Only so many hours we can watch TV in a day. I never figured my Prime membership fee as having extra value due to streaming and renting books, only for the better mailing service. $99 a good deal for the package, but not so much if you only use the shipping service. I wish companies would stop forgetting their core customers. I still don't see the connection between shipping and streaming moives. There should be a tiered arrangement....then they could have kept everyone. I will still buy a ton from them, will just be more patient for most items. And sometimes I may just go get it at the store now, like I used to.

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I just had my first same day delivery with Prime. I ordered the two new Led Zeppelin 2 CD sets yesterday morning and they were delivered by ONTRAC to my house by 6:00 PM last night. Anyone else ever get same day delivery? When I first saw the shipping notice I saw Tuesday, I assumed it was going to be next week and then I realized it was yesterday.

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Unfortunately, the one time Amazon promised me same day delivery (on a Sunday no less, so I was super amazed) the delivery window came and went with no sign of my package. The delivery status was updated later that night with a message that the driver attempted delivery but the "business was closed," which was not true because the address was a residence, not a business, and had the driver attempted to ring me the call would have shown up in my call log. The driver ended up delivering the next day around noon.

I do think Amazon's shipping is getting worse. I took advantage of a couple of their promotions recently on items I didn't need quickly and was surprised that some things took more than a week to ship out. And on a few Prime shipments recently, even though the items were in stock and "guaranteed" for delivery by a certain date Amazon didn't even get them to the delivery company by the guaranteed delivery date. The last time that happened, I guess to add insult to injury, FedEx decided to mishandle a package shipped via overnight and instead had it sit in a local delivery center for four days before they delivered it to me. For that package, the guaranteed 2-day delivery became 8 days.

I still like Prime. I've watched some of the Prime videos and checked out some of the Prime music. I do like being able to get stuff on a specific date based on when I place my orders (for the most part) as well. I'll probably keep Prime when my renewal is up in a couple of months.

10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I get that "attempted delivery" a lot. Mostly it is USPS deliveries that entail getting out of the truck to deliver the package to the front door, i.e. the package is too big to fit into my over-sized mail box.

Paying for "Prime" is a no-brainer—especially if you buy more than just music from Amazon.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Can North Americans stream
    content from Amazon UK with
    Prime ?

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

No. AmazonUS Prime does not bring with it Prime benefits from other Amazon websites.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The value to this family recently went up again. My son has been ordering HVAC tools for his career, and with the size and weight waaay up from my usual Blu rays, and CDs, God only knows how high his shipping costs could be !

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

If one were to get Prime on the UK
    site , would the content be streamable
    in N.A. ? (etc)

15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I think it's the same thing in reverse: UK Prime customers get Amazon UK benefits, not Amazon worldwide benefits, though Amazon's UK website seems to lack specificity in this regard. Amazon's German website clearly indicates that its Prime streaming is only available to customers in German and Austria.

Scope J likes this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Ok , thanks

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

18. wiki

wiki Member

I'd say Prime is worth it if you shop on there a lot. You save on shipping in the long run and get stuff faster. Caveat though, Amazon has gotten kind of bad about slowly shipping stuff and missing delivery deadlines. For example something might say order within x hrs to get by Monday, but it won't be delivered until Tuesday. Amazon is slowly getting crappier in service but as of now it's still worth it

Clanceman likes this.
  19. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Not a huge deal, but I just pre-ordered something and apparently the only way to get it on release day was to pay $2.99 for one-day shipping--I guess it's no longer an automatic with Prime two-day. Kind of a bummer now that new releases are on Friday, so it says it won't arrive until the Tuesday after.

20. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Contact them and complain about it. (But, nicely. :D ) I think you can provide feedback right from the order itself, so all of the info is attached. Otherwise you need to provide at least the order number, if not full details. Tracking information would show when the order was delivered.

Last time I complained, I forgot which I received (account credit or credit card refund for $10), so at least it was an offering.

black sheriff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.