Amazon Restocking Fees

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by SBurke, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie Thread Starter

Has anyone else ever been charged a 50% restocking fee for returning an item because a cheaper price was found somewhere else? I returned a book last week because I found a much cheaper paperback version. The book I returned was in exactly the same condition in which I received it and I sent it back 4 days after ordering it. The refund processed today was for 50% of the cost of the book. When I asked Amazon why, they said I was charged a restocking fee because I was returning the item for a reason other than Amazon's fault. Fair enough I suppose if that's what their return policy said -- but it doesn't say that. The return policy (Amazon.com Help: About Refunds ) states that Amazon will charge restocking fees for opened or damaged items or items returned past the 30-day return window, none of which applied in this case. What's more, when I processed the return, which included the reason for the return, I got an e-mail indicating I would get a full refund. If the restocking fee was due to the reason I gave, they should have been able to figure that out when they accepted the return. They eventually issued a full refund but insisted this is not a new policy, and had no explanation for why it can't be found on the Web site.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You cost Amazon (or the seller on whose behalf they shipped) shipping plus availability, and you returned it because you changed your mind (found another one cheaper). A restocking fee is fair and makes sense.

3. SBurke

Of 50%? Amazon only allows marketplace sellers to charge a restocking fee of up to 20%, unless the item is damaged. But that's not the point anyway. It would be fair, and I wouldn't have any basis to object to a restocking fee, if -- but only if -- the return policy actually said there would be one. But not only does it not say that, when I submitted the return and Amazon accepted it, the reply said I would be refunded 100% of the price. So what I'm interested in knowing is if it is in fact Amazon's policy.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

A restocking fee seems fair. How much was the 50% if I may ask?

5. SBurke

Sure -- a little over $60. The first book I got was $125. Then I noticed the paperback was only $45. So yeah, it was kind of dumb of me not to have noticed it before. But I've returned books before to Amazon and selected "no longer needed/wanted" as the reason and there was never a restocking fee. Return shipping charge, yes, but restocking fee, no.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

$60 is pretty high, not cool

Dave and SBurke like this.
  7. SBurke

That's what I thought! :)

8. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I would contact Amazon once again. Don't tell them that you've already talked with someone. Don't tell them why you returned the item, etc. All you need to tell them is that you returned an item, the email (or whatever) said you would receive a 100% refund, but instead you only received 50%. You returned the item as new, undamaged, within the 30-day window (actually within 4 days, as you said). See what this new person says, and you may have to give them a wee bit of a hard time if they say otherwise. Amazon has one of the absolute best return policies. I've gotten money back from Amazon when a third-party seller has screwed me. Their goal is to have happy customers who then spread the word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.