AMC unveils $20 subscription plan to combat MoviePass

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I’d do the AMC pass if it includes all the Fathom events they show at their theaters.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I bet Fathom has an original agreement in place with AMC, that would protect them from getting involved with something else AMC is doing, unless they actually wanted to be dealt in.

In Harrisburg, I'm not sure if we have two LieMax auditoriums or not, but I bet not. We also have a theater in the Science Center that was a legit IMAX, but they dissolved that relationship with them, I'm assuming they had to replace the projection system, or just continue to use the secondary, backup projection system they may have had as their primary, and just mothball the IMAX machine. Auditorium and speakers of course, stay the same.

Upshot is, customers may not even be aware it's no longer "IMAX", because they still run first-run, blockbuster features at a grossly-inflated price, and those that think it's worth it, still pony-up. How that fits into my hypothesis about preference for IMAX to the exclusion of LieMax is moot, because...customers interested in seeing IMAX where there is no IMAX, may very well chose to see the lesser-impressive option. But that, of course, depends on whether there is one, or even the other, to choose from. Most markets do not offer that flexibility within which a consumer can choose his option.

I still stand by my opinion that, in yet another tiresome metaphor, if Tesla were to bring out a car more akin to a Yugo than a Tesla, but still call it a Tesla...I do not suppose customers would flock to test-drive the all-new Tesla Yugo. Oatsdad, this is to say, my understanding of how branding works is theoretical, and each case is different; nevertheless I believe in my general point, and it does no good challenging me to prove your point for you. Hire your own focus group.

Ray S, as to MoviePass' survival, it seems to me to be a dandy innovation looking for a side benefit. Like raising up almost enough money to put a Spider-Man show on Broadway, and then assuming by the time you've sold out the first house, you'll have made enough to pay for the development ("...and then all we make from then on, is gravy!"). I expect their initial plan is more like, "and then the more butts in seats, the more popcorn you sell!" Or at least, that's the way they might sell it to the public, with an emphasis on, "...and YOU see more movies! Yaayy!". But, the public could already see more movies...and they choose not to. There's gotta be another, more, let's say, "Facebook-like", sneakier-but-un-realized Master Plan in there somewhere.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I just pay as I go. "Subscription plan "It's like eating as much as you want type restaurants, too much gluttony. But if the cinema is a solace to the individual..somewhere to go , chill out, snzzz..whatever, maybe watch the film, It just could be a good deal. I go to the theatre /cinema a few times a month also purchase media /blu Rays etc..does me.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It doesn't - "special events" excluded...

Shawn likes this.
  5. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

After reading the FAQ I still don't understand if I get to choose my seat. The whole point of me going to a film in the theater is for the quality/experience. If I can't choose my seat there is no value in it for me.

"How do I use my membership?

Visit AMCTheatres.com or the AMC Theatres app to access your virtual card, make reservations and view your account.

If making a reservation through our website or mobile app, just be sure you’re signed in and your AMC Stubs A-List savings will be automatically applied to eligible tickets. You can also make reservations at the theatre box office and ticketing kiosk, just show your virtual card.

To redeem a reservation, members must present their ticket, virtual card, and a matching valid Photo ID."

6. Oatsdad

I assume that you buy tickets as usual. If the process involves reserving a seat, that'll be part of it...

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I knew about the truly unlimited programs in the UK, but it's cool to know the same thing exists in Holland. For all the squealing AMC has been doing, it's obvious that it is a sustainable business model. My wife subscribed to MoviePass back when it cost her $50 a month - and she thought it was a great deal at that. When they dropped it to $9.95 a month (on her BIRTHDAY!) she thought it was an insanely good deal. So we'd be fine paying $20 or $30 a month (20 pounds is $26.54, 20 Euros is $23.34) for genuine unlimited. Like some other things I can't mention, other countries seem to be able to offer a service to everyone for a reasonable fee.

SandAndGlass and LivingForever like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how does this deal work?

9. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I'm surprised theaters are still a thing. It seems it would be less expensive to just release it to streaming services on day one, let people rent it for $10, then after a couple of months release the physical discs and purchase options.

10. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

That assumes that people are content to watch movies only in their home. There are lots of people for whom going to a movie at a theater is a destination event. There is also the presentation factor - I don't care how big of a screen you have in your home, unless you are one of a vanishingly small number of people, it's still going to be dwarfed by the one at the local multiplex. And yes, I am aware that there are plenty of venues with crappy presentation standards. There are also plenty of venues with high presentation standards, and any decent-sized city is likely to have at least one of those.

brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Exactly! I have a 120" screen in my home, and I still prefer to see films in the theater. I have 5 foot tall Carver "The Amazing" loudspeakers...and I still prefer to see films in the theater.

brownie61 and mikeyt like this.
  12. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Count me in as someone who loves going out to see a film in a theater! I love the giant screen, great sound, and seeing other people and surroundings other than my own home. It will be a sad day if theaters go away!

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

IMAX and 3D are the least of the reasons this interests me. Here’s why I would prefer it to MoviePass—and I doubt this would apply to anyone else:

The cell phone I currently have is provided by my employer, and I don’t expect to have one of my own after I retire. Therefore, MoviePass would not be accessible to me, and besides I prefer not to have to deal with the hassle of having to photograph my stub, getting the wrong amount loaded on my card, etc. And I only go to AMC Theatres anyway.

Besides, isn’t MoviePass now four movies a month for $10, or has that changed again?

14. Monosterio

I forgot to mention that, as long as I’m working, I prefer to see all my movies on Saturday and/or Sunday. So that one-movie-per-day plan doesn’t suit me—for now.

Then there’s also how much I save on popcorn going only once a week... :D

15. Chris DeVoe

I don't care about IMAX and can't resolve 3D (I can see out of both eyes, but like 12% of the population, cannot integrate that into 3D). I would like to see Dolby Cinema, but have never been able to justify the additional expense.

Then it does sound like the AMC pass would be your best choice. The photographing the stub thing really isn't a big issue anymore, after they got the bugs worked out.

No, it's currently one movie every 24 hours.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  16. Chris DeVoe

Few things sadder than seeing a comedy alone. You need to be part of a crowd.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Monosterio

So that 4 movies for $10 thing never happened?

18. Chris DeVoe

If it did, it was only for a short while. My wife and I have never had any problem seeing a movie every day.

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I bought the year-long option when it was offered ($79 I think?) so I was/would have been grandfathered through whatever change they made.

But looking at the MoviePass web site today, it looks like the options are:

$9.95 a month for a movie a day

$7.95 for 3 movies a month

20. Chris DeVoe

You (and Vickie and me) are grandfathered in. Those prices are for new subscribers. The only question is will our deal still be available to us when it comes time to renew.

21. Monosterio

I just found out that one of two AMC theaters I frequent has dropped its pre-noon shows, which were about $6. The cheapest adult ticket I can get there now is $11+.

If my other AMC theater drops the morning shows, I’ll have no reason not to join A List. Which I’m guessing is why the first theater dropped the pre-noon shows: to boost their A List enrollment.

22. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The pre-noon shows seem to come and go from any particular AMC without rhyme or reason, but at least one of my three nearby AMC theaters always seems to have at least one or two, on the weekend at least.

Monosterio and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Monosterio

So they may come back to my theater? I sure hope so—I don’t want to join A List till after I retire.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

My nearest AMC also no longer has pre-noon shows, and they don't start anything until about 1PM on weekdays.

The AMC at Tysons - the big mall in the area - still has pre-noon shows, though, even on weekends.

I suspect the change at the closer AMC is more about not having to pay staff than A-List...

Chris DeVoe and Shawn like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Actually I think it's probably the other way around - A*List has eliminated the need for the cheap shows now that folks can get into any show for one low price per month.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.