American Artifact: The Rise of American Rock Poster Art DVD.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dance_hall_keeper, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was while walking in another neighbourhood of Hoffmanland (that would be here) that I discovered this 2009 video gem, American Artifact: The Rise of American Rock Poster Art, distributed by Freakfilms, Inc. Conveniently, there is a swell website which tells you just about everything you want to know about American Artifact:...right here.

American Artifact: The Rise of American Rock Poster Art trailer.

Here is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    American Artifact: The Rise of American Rock Poster Art, externally and...
    [​IMG]
    American Artifact: The Rise of American Rock Poster Art, internally.

Producer/Director Merle Becker is the ringmistress of this two-disc set, which looks at the humble
    beginnings of the art form, followed by it's proliferation over the years into the mind-boggling output we see today. It's because of the astounding efforts early visionary artists (most famously but by no means exclusively) known collectively as "The Big Five", a group that created the indelible link between art and music in concert/dance settings (yes, people would dance to the music being played at these soirées).
    [​IMG]
    The Big Five, from L: Alton Kelley, Victor Moscoso, Rick Griffin, Wes
    Wilson and Stanley Mouse, in the classic image by Bob Seidemann.

Disc 1 is the documentary proper, Disc 2 is bonus material and deleted scenes. Disc 1 weighted approximately 1/3 with it's beginnings and 2/3 with the modern era. Both are well worth watching. On Disc 1, I spotted two posters I have. I'm just about to begin a repeat viewing.

There was really only one disappointment for me. I was hoping to see two very famous poster artists (each from either end of the time period dealt with) featured in greater detail, complete with appearances. One is mentioned, the other is not and neither make appearances. If I knew how to do a Spoiler, this is where I'd do one. I don't want that to takeaway from the greatness of this work.

Big huzzahs to Ms. Becker and her team for this near-perfect project which was done, by her own admission, with limited funding. However, don't be deterred by that fact.

This is a topic I've always had an interest in. I'm not going to glorify what I have by calling it a "collection"; I have a total of six, beginning with this one, and I like them very much.

With all that I gleaned from watching this presentation, the prominent stuff I've learned from my initial viewing was:
    1): In most cases, you don't get rich from this line of work; it's a labour of love.
    2): In this line of work, you can get sick from it but not of it.
    3): I've always mispronounced the word "Grande" in the Grande Ballroom venue in Detroit MI.
    Results may vary according to each individual.

Has anyone else watched this? Opinions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.