American Britpop?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davideleo, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

US band The Lilys scored a UK chart hit during Britpop with this song:

I think Olivia Tremor Control also fit in with that general 60's retro vibe that was a part of the scene. I saw them supporting Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (one of those nineties bands who never really fit in with the Britpop image), and they seemed to be kindred spirits.

davideleo likes this.
  2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Coming soon...

"Brexitpop"... :)

3. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

When are we gonna hear that grunge album from Donnie Wahlberg or Justin Timberlake?

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

When are people going to stop suggesting random tracks and artists fit a genre they were never a part off? Robbie Williams - that is having a laugh!

6. dmiller458

Britpop and Heartland rock aren't just the sound, but also the ideas and values presented in the lyrics.

Lights out tonight
    Trouble in the heartland

7. davideleo

davideleo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

How would you people classify the music of Starlight Mints?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  8. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Do you mean Powerpop?

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I think the Dandy Warhols are a US Band, who would fit in as 'Brit-Pop' or at least a UK Band.

10. davideleo

They aren't according to the official definition, which is what I'm questioning. The main purpose of music genres is a reasonable music classification. Non-musical ideas or values should be taken into account only if this really helps making the classification more sensible, but if one or more bands do not fit a genre only because they're not British, then I'm inclined to think the britishness of the genre is definitely over-rated.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  11. davideleo

I think so, too. Some of their early songs perhaps lean a bit towards shoegaze, but IMO they're definitely out of place in the neo-psychedelic category where they're usually put.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  12. davideleo

No, powerpop is an evolution of beat music. Britpop, although variously inspired by british pop-rock of the 60s and 70s (more by glam rock then beat music, actually) is basically a mixture of the indie styles which dominated the UK and European scene by the end of the 80s and early 90s.

P.S.
    But if you are referring to Rooney, listed in that lastfm page I quoted in the OP, then I agree they're rather powerpop.

13. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

As someone in their 20s in the 90s, living in London, Britpop was just a tabloid myth, no music fan I knew at the time even
    mentioned the word. There were great bands, many infact, but musically most had little in common.

14. davideleo

That doesn't surprise me, since this is usually the case with any music genre. Music fans are not musicologists in the first place, they're not expected to have a a a thorough overview of all music, which is what you need to make a reasonable classification. Secondly, as I have said elsewhere, music genres are tools to understand music history, they address and define the past, rather than contemporary trends, when it is still too early to understand where they're heading to, and how relevant they'll eventually turn out to be. Genres that start off as self-referential are usually marketing means or delusions of a single artist or music critic.
    Nevertheless, when naming a genre, musicologists like to stick to terms that are already in use for whatever reason. That's why the meaning often needs some cleaning up, in order to avoid confusion between a consistent musicological definition and the original traits of the term.
    In the beginning "Britpop" was indeed just a marketing term to throw the British counter-offensive to american Grunge, but it eventually defined a musical trend which makes sense recognizing as a genre, even if people were not aware of it at the time. By the way, this is the reason why I think the british pop legacy is overrated in defining britpop, and should be more or less discarded in favor of a less geographically connoted definition.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The late great Shatterproof from Minneapolis. They even opened for Oasis when Oasis played the Twin Cities, and for good reason.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Killers "Mr.Brightside"?

17. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Brit pop is British pop of a certain time

Non British is pop

It was more of a cultural label to start with anyway and the various music doesn't necessarily have much in common to deserve the same genre

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Maybe bands like Straylight Run or (some) Blitzen Trapper?

I'm thinking they write strong original tunes that can go from gentle to really quite noisy and with their influences unashmedly there to hear.

Not the same sound as britpop but maybe the same vibe?

19. dmiller458

"The official definition." And just whose definition is the definitive one?

Your location is listed as Italy. Are a native Italian or are you an expat Brit or Yank?

20. davideleo

Mine, of course.

A native italian, but britpop is not that exotic to the italian music market.

;)

21. dmiller458

So you as an Italian are somehow qualified to tell us Yanks what heartland rock is, and to tell the Brits what Britpop means. Interesting...

22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Britpop by way of Austin, Texas.

Diamond Star Halo and davideleo like this.
  23. davideleo

So, being Italian means what I state I state "as an Italian"? That's even more interesting.

24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I hope that was meant in jest.

25. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Another brilliant blast of 'Britpop' from Minneapolis/St. Paul in the mid-90's - The Beatifics

ralphb97 and davideleo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.