American Dad

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pocofan, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

I think this show is ok but the character of Roger is worth watching the show for.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I thought it was pretty clever for the first couple of seasons but then it got unwatchable. A little of Roger goes a long, long way.

3. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I feel the opposite. I think the show was still finding itself during the first two seasons but it was in the third season that it began to capture a unique voice and writing style all its own (i.e. not at all like Family Guy). Seasons three through nine are the golden era for American Dad. I love this show so much during that time. It is just exactly my sense of humor. Non-sequiturs, character-based humor, clever and original plotlines. No cutaway gags, no extended "keep going until it isn't funny anymore" bits. Just fun ideas and hilarious jokes coming at you quickly, that are even funnier if you are a regular viewer and know the characters.This really wasn't Seth MacFarlane's show. He does the voices for Stan and Roger, but it wasn't his brainchild but that of other writers like Mike Barker and Matt Weitzman. He has said he just came in a read the voices and was astounded when the show kept getting funnier and funnier.

It is a wonderful, hilarious hidden gem that gets absolutely no respect. So much better than Family Guy and many people won't even give it a try.

I haven't seen the TBS seasons because we don't have cable.

4. pocofan

Rogers disguises and different personalities are usually funny as can be. Ricky Spanish, who comes up someone like that.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

ALL HAIL ROGER!!!
    Like Paul Lynne came back from the dead, got hip, and was able to say whatever he wanted!

6. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Pretty great show, imo. Can't stand Family Guy.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My favorite character is Bullock.

I don't know how many of their viewers knew the Oingo Boingo song, but it was genius.

"May I have some Gatorade? I'm afraid I left all my electrolytes with your daughter."

daveidmarx likes this.
  8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

My favorite animated series of all time, and by a fairly wide margin. There's so many episodes of this show that just have my howling with laughter. And unlike Family Guy (like it or not, this show will ALWAYS be compared to FG), the family characters here actually show a great deal of love and warmth towards each other.. on occasion. Also, unlike FG, the ancillary characters here are almost as enjoyable as the main characters. Bullock and Principal Lewis are pretty much genius in any scene they are in. And although at first Jeff really got on my nerves, I've grown to love him as well (it was probably 'Lost In Space' from Season 9 that did the trick - I mean, who didn't absolutely love The Majestic?? A song that sounds like a cross between Pink Floyd's In The Flesh and The Trial, but sung by Murray Head. I've certainly discovered Wax Fang as a result of the episode). And most importantly, unlike FG, AD! has not gone into the toilet over the past several years. Fourteen seasons in (or is it fifteen??), and I still find myself enjoying practically every episode, despite the ridiculously high bar the show has set over the years. As for Roger... easily my favorite cartoon character ever, and it's not even close! (Sorry Bugs Bunny). 31 new episodes to air in the upcoming season (which begins in just nine days), and I can't wait!!!! :agree:

9. vince

"I HEARD that, BOB TODD!!!" - Santa Claus.

daveidmarx likes this.
  10. daveidmarx

"Jean jackets... Timothy's bangs!!!!" :laugh:

vince likes this.
  11. pocofan

I like both of them

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Used to like it. But when I started to get too annoyed by Roger I just had to stop watching.

13. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

i like it..however,the stupid talking Koala Bear and Jeff really get on my nerves

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. daveidmarx

Aw, I miss Reggie... They haven't used him on AD! in a number of years.

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yeah, the koala got irritating pretty fast... But, his being on there didn't/doesn't detract from the show in general...

16. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

One of my favorite shows...hence, my avatar.

daveidmarx likes this.
  17. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Fantastic show, and has been superior for many years to it's older counterpart Family Guy. But then what do I know?, I was one of the few people who liked The Cleveland Show.

18. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

i dont mind The Cleveland Show

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Same here... I liked Cleveland Jr. and Rollo the best of the characters... In truth I don't think any of Peter's friends were strong enough to carry their own series, but for what it is, "The Cleveland Show" wasn't bad...

20. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I think it’s ok but I prefer Family Guy.

21. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

22. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

riiickkkky sppaaanniisshhhhh

23. vince

Nice joke about licensing Beatle songs on the latest ep., "Top Of The Steve"!

24. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Have to admit though that while Family Guy is still great, American Dad has been going downhill for a while. Still watch it though.

25. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Roger is a work of genius. He can be anything. Possibly unique in any TV show. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.