American Horror Story (S7) "Cult"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Sep 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I imagine some of the clowns are real. But the Twisty scene in ep #1 was definitely a visualization of what the kid was reading in the comic. It's like a kid reading a Jack The Ripper comic today. I don't remember the context of how he was shown in episode #2, but I imagine it was similar.

2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

That certainly could be. It's not real clear what is real and what is imagined yet. But that would make some sense.

Yeah, the comic thing makes sense.

But some of the clowns are definitely real - the ones who killed the city councilman and his wife. They left markings in the house which were clearly visible to Ally and Ivy as they left the house (now owned by the strange beekeeper dude and his wife).

jsayers likes this.
  3. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

LMAO That kid's seen at least four people violently murdered in about a week or so. He's definitely going to kill before the show is over.

pablo fanques and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. I like it. So far it ranks pretty well with the better seasons. A few things:

***Might contain spoilers for Ep3, Season 7***

1.) Winter should have been fired on the first day. Period. Worst babysitter ever.
    2.) Either they want to make it obvious that the psychiatrist, the detective, and the blue-haired guy are all in-on-it, or we have some red herrings floating upstream.
    3.) The Killer Klowns have changed their modus operandi by painting the smiley face in, or on, a house before they kill. Either that's a gaff or a chuckle.
    4.) The kid cold busted his other mom with that Oedipus stream. I laughed aloud. They don't care about that kid anymore (see point #1).

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So.....I caught the premier episode and wasn't impressed. Meh. Missed the 2nd episode due to the hurricane. I'm sitting here watching the 3rd and I'm truly bored to tears. Really not feeling this storyline whatsoever. The socio-political overtones are especially annoying. Oh wait, a hamster just blew up in the microwave, the horror! Pretty sure I'm out.

Darksolstice likes this.
  6. agentalbert

What does that mean - Oedipus stream? Is that the name of some new video platform? I only know Oedipus as in Rex and what that usually implies.

So far I'm really enjoying this. Things could fall apart, they certainly have before. But I think I like this so far as much as anything since S2, which I consider the high-water mark. Some of the spoofs of progressives really give me a laugh.

"Oh honey, you know we don't use cis-normative pet names." Hahahaha!

stuwee and jsayers like this.
  7. You know, there's the ol' Oedipus complex, to wit, "the psychoanalytic theory, a desire for sexual involvement with the parent of the opposite sex and a concomitant sense of rivalry with the parent of the same sex; a crucial stage in the normal developmental process."

The kid was watching a video of one of his moms having a "moment" in the bath with Winter, so I just dubbed it that because it fit. :)

On to Episode 4, though, even a political dunce like myself could see the politics creep in heavier. What's interesting is that the "cult" will take anyone from either side of the fence as long as they fit the profile. 'Nuff said about that, even though it's fiction based on reality.

My only slight problem with this season is that everything appears at the moment to be really on the cuff. I mean, it was cool to see how so-and-so became recruits, but most of it was seen a mile away. You can pretty much place which characters are behind the masks. So, unless it's all a red herring, it's a bit of a bummer.

"Clean up on aisle 4!"

8. agentalbert

Okay, thanks. He's probably a bit too young to be having an attraction to his mother, but I know what you meant know.

The Evan Peters character was initially shown in a way that would make us think he's a supporter of the President, but I think its clear from this episode that he's really just some sort of anarchist/revolutionary who was excited because he felt the victory would help provide an environment for him to harvest anger for for his "movement". He doesn't care where politically anyone stands as long as they're pissed off enough that he can channel that.

Kyhl and jsayers like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Surprized by the lack of responses in this thread. Maybe American horror story has run its course.

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I haven't had this much fun watching AHS in quite a while - I was laughing out loud quite a few times in this latest episode, the twisted, vulgar yet-honest humor kind of reminded me of John Waters a little bit - wonder if he's watching? I'll bet he is...:laugh:

stuwee, mds and agentalbert like this.
  11. agentalbert

Last season was so bad it very well could have caused viewers who watched from the beginning to just throw in the towel and swear off the show for good. I know I certainly considered it, but as every season is new, I came back hoping for better. And so far I'm really glad I did.

Ghostworld and jsayers like this.
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This is a good season. I actually liked last season. . . and this one is definitely as good. I like how the politics is a part.

jsayers likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I didn’t like the freak show season and the Roanoke season was just awful. But as you say I will give this season a chance as everyone is a clean slate.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched 3 episodes of season 7 and I'm really liking it. A refreshingly normal change. More like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" than the usual gore and ghosts, which I'm a little tired of. By the end of episode three, this has built wonderfully and is really intriguing.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    agentalbert and jsayers like this.
  15. agentalbert

Well, that was a revealing episode, though an ugly one. A bit of torture there. I'm not squeamish about that stuff, but it just wasn't as fun as events in past episodes, even if it did have some revelations.

16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I watch AHS for the humor and I thought Roanoake was hilarious.

17. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

After this episode, I can't help but think of the Catch-22 line, "Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you."

Literally, everyone in Ally's life is in on the conspiracy!?!!? (Well, maybe not the son...or?!!?)

18. This last episode was kind of sucky. Not all the way horrible, but those reveals (which you could see coming) seemed to loosen the tension of the show.

There seems to be very little mystery left, save for if the show will continue to decline this season, and what will happen in the end.

jsayers likes this.
  19. I thought last night's episode was pretty much on point. It was better.

My only point of contention was that there were no witnesses to tell the cops who the real shooter was?

20. agentalbert

I haven't watched yet. I saw the news earlier in the week where Ryan Murphy talked about re-editing the episode, which bugged me. I hate when that happens. But I saw the note before the airing last night indicating it was edited, and that the full un-edited version would be available On Demand. That pleased me, and I'll just wait a few days and watch it. I'm glad they decided to make the original version available. :righton:

Kyhl likes this.
  21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I went to On Demand and that version also has that disclaimer at the beginning of the episode. :confused:

22. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The cameraman with the female reporter had his camera trained on the stage the whole time, up to the initial shots at least. Since Kai set up the shooting, I assume they wanted footage of it for propaganda.

But yeah, everyone else there that wasn't shot probably witnessed that it was Meadow that fired the shots, so unless the entire crowd was part of the cult, then there should be someone who can verify it wasn't Ally.

Kyhl and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I’m thinking no witnesses. When a shot is fired in a crowd, most people run for cover and avoid eye contact with the perp. Maybe Kai purposely instructed Meadow to turn towards the crowd and fire the gun to keep everyone from looking at her.

So who killed the chef at the butchery? Ivy?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. Both versions have the same disclaimer.

jsayers likes this.
  25. That's a good theory, except that in the real world Kai would have realized that a bullet hole in the leg could have very well ended up a shot in the femoral.

Season over. The most stupid world domination plan ever.

I mean, I liked the episode, but Kai was also counting on Ally running across the street, sneaking in, getting the keys from the pants, and taking off with nutjob chick. Errr... Okay, guys; yeah, let's script it just like that. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.