American Horror Story - Season 6 Roanoke *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm finding this season very dull. None of the pizzaz of past seasons. None of the tongue in cheek. Very little style.

Darksolstice likes this.
  2. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

It's as cheesy as hell. That's to be expected but just a little too much cheese for me.
    Kathy Bates' accent and her sidekick fella just crease me up, which isn't maybe the right response because she's supposed to be a bit scary. That said, I love Evan Peters and his Terry-Thomas-style schtick - it never grows old and he does it well.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm digging it, it's more suspenseful imo without the density, and there's plenty of humor for me.

I wonder if next. . . the Butcher et al turn up in the present and attack the "real" couple, the narrators.

4. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I guess this is the season I finally quit watching AHS, so far it is neither original nor over-the-top freaky or anything - it is just boring and pointless so far IMO.

I even liked "Slasher" better although it was not really very good.

Darksolstice likes this.
  5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I would have loved a SciFi Horror themed season of AHS for a change - like creepy stuff happening on a Mars Colony or something.

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Just saw this week's episode. Very strange. Not one of my favorite seasons.

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That makes 1of us.

Ghostworld and Lonson like this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Next week will be a real eye opener I think.

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So I actually thought episode 4 was watchable....and than came episode 5. What a convoluted mess it was. So let me get this straight, this brilliant couple finally catch a break when they escape from the pick-up truck, and instead of hopping in and driving away, they opt to stay on foot in the woods!? And the ending was SO predictable, felt like it was written by a hack. The show just seems to have taken such a dip in quality. The sets in past seasons bordered on opulent, this season, between the drab house and the 'Blair Witch Project' video style has been the least visually appealing of the entire run. Waiting for the supposedly 'game- changing' 6th episode, it'll have to be truly special to keep me on board.

Kyhl likes this.
  10. - Kyle -

- Kyle - New Member

Two of us. I really like it for a change of style so far.
    I found the last two seasons just a bit stale for my taste.

11. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em! Thread Starter

I think that's very possible. Maybe the real couple (and his sister) and the actors who performed in the reenactment will all have to contend with the Butcher and perhaps Gaga.

What's curious is that Kathy Bates is an reenactment actor portraying the Butcher. Wonder what the real Butcher looks like. And the real Gaga character too for that matter.

Kyhl and Rufus McDufus like this.
  12. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Good catch. Flew right over my noggin.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought ep. 4 was the best of this season. Just finished ep. 5 and was mostly bored. I might have dozed off, so tell me if I missed it, but where was the "Witch Of The Wood" (Gaga)? At the end of ep. 4, she was getting it on with Matt, and then the ghost mob shows up, and he runs into the house. So the whole time the mob is there, the witch doesn't do anything? Even though she knows Thomasin (Kathy Bates) is trying to become more powerful than her and in a sense replace her?

I'm not sold on this season yet, though its okay. I've watched every season, so I'll finish this one too. I'm looking forward to whatever the big shift is in episode 6. I hope that after the shift, Lily Rabe is involved in some way other than just talking head interviews.

14. Aggie87

Why do you say this? I didn't see anything that led me to believe that. Not saying you're wrong, I just didn't see it.

JimW and noname74 like this.
  15. agentalbert

I thought that was stated in episode #4, but I can't remember exactly by who. It would have been by either Cricket Marlowe (the medium) or the Dennis O'Hare character. I might have to watch the episode again. If nobody else remembers anything of the sort, I must have misinterpreted something.

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The show is still an interesting concept, and clearly something different is going to happen in the second half of the season. But the show is still somewhat of a mess. The accents are insanely awful. I thought Kathy Bates was the worst, and then Wes Bentley came in, and then Lady Gaga. By the end of one scene, Bates's awful accent was the best of the worst.

Too much dependency on "dumb" decisions; I'm willing to suspend disbelief and go with it to a very generous degree. But this thing is still kind of a mess, and I just really dislike the aesthetic the showrunners/producers/creators started with Season 2 where there's zero nuance in any of the violence and sex stuff (and they were doing it somewhat even in the first season). I don't even always mind violent and distasteful if it has some purpose. Not so much on this show.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  17. agentalbert

I re-watched eps 4 and 5, and don't know why I thought The Butcher was trying to replace The Witch Of The Wood. Must have dreamed something. I do wonder why the witch was absent during all the goings on, though. She was there in the cellar with Matt when the mob showed, but doesn't appear at all, even when ghosts (Edward Mott and The Butcher's son) act to thwart their plans.

18. Aggie87

I wondered why she didn't show up during the final mob scene too. Perhaps things went the way she wanted them to go (?). I suspect we haven't seen the last of her though, so maybe it will become clear.

I'm still curious about who the 'real' Butcher and Witch will be played by, since Kathy Bates and Gaga (and all the others for that matter) were actors in the reality show being filmed. The only real characters we've seen so far are Lily Rabe's Shelby, Andre Holland's Matt, and Adina Porter as Lee. And Cheyenne Jackson's producer guy and Doris Kearns Goodwin I suppose, though they have no reality show counterparts.

Maybe Bates & Gaga, if they *do* indeed show up, playing both the actresses and the real characters? My head hurts now.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Wait, so the big reveal is that they're bringing the actors and their true- life counterparts together to the house!? They're literally doubling down on this tired concept! The oddity for me is that I actually find the backstories between the characters interesting. The show's horror moments all land with a thud. Forget about being scared, I haven't even been startled once this entire season. I think it's the pedigree of the cast that makes the interaction between them entertaining. But the title contains the word 'Horror' in it, the only horrible thing I saw was another cliche attempt at a tense shower scene. It was almost as bad as that horribly overused gimmick, which they used last week, of having the bad guy make a leaping attack after seemingly being killed (Kathy Bates in flames!). I'm not sure at this point if I'm hangin'. This isn't must- see TV for me anymore, it actually hasn't been since Jessica Lange left.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

Yeah last night was a dud.
    What did I miss? I can see why the "director" would put all the real life people in the house for a reality show, but why would you out the actors in there too? Seems like a big hole in the plot.

I said the same thing last night, I haven't jumped since Jessica Lange was on the show. I'm also upset they killed off Evan Peters last night.
    What was the point in telling us everyone but one dies at the end. Seems anticlimactic to me. Now we already know.

21. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

American actors get slammed for bad British accents all the time but Sarah Paulsen's is hands down the worst I've ever heard.

Lonson likes this.
  22. agentalbert

Because of the real life drama between them. The affiar between Shelby and actor "Matt", as well as the disdain between the real people and the actors who portrayed them a certain way, like Lee has for her TV version. The producer thinks Lee really DID kill her ex-husband and that Lee might crack and admit it.

It's all about which one is the survivor. And you could very well see Evan Peters again now in ghost form, just like the other people killed in the house.

I knew the people who were praising the lack of campiness to this season early on were going to hate this, and I understand. This isn't a scary show. It's an amusing show. I chuckled when the two nurse's sprang out and started stabbing Evan Peters.

I started a thread here a few days ago about a different show, SyFy's "Channel Zero - Candle Cove" and I'll plug it again. If you want something that ISN'T silly and is genuinely creepy, it might be the thing. There's only been one episode so far, but I like it. And since the seasons will be 6 episodes long and each a self-contained story, its not a big time investment.

Aggie87, JimW and Rufus McDufus like this.
  23. agentalbert

Nah. Really? What about Costner in "Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves"?

24. Lonson

This is the way it's always been for me, except Season Five, which I didn't find amusing from the start and abandoned. I really like this season, it's quite entertaining and I think there's more in store.

Aggie87 likes this.
  25. Lonson

Thanks for recommending Channel Zero-Candle Cove. I watched the first two episodes and I really like this show.

agentalbert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.