American Idol Season/Series 9, 2010 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emmett66

Emmett66 Forum Resident

Crystal, Lee, Siobhan, and Casey :thumbsup:

And Crystal looked mmmmm gooood!

2. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Aaron has to go, or Lee.

3. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

And I thought I was the only one. :agree:

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

That makes no sense. If she's going to win, it means she's popular with the voters, dreads and all, so why would the producers want to change her?

As far as I've heard, there have been no reports of the producers "making over" the contestants, though I'm sure there are stylists available to them. I recall hearing that all the clothing worn is the contestants' own; don't know if that's still true.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I sure hope not. It just seems to me they would like someone who isn't "different". I like her dreads.

Evan

6. phish

phish Jack Your Body

if they are getting makeovers, they shouldn't let that little 16 year old wear the same jacket every single week.

7. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

If memory serves, Idol Gives Back only saved someone the first year. I think that they teased Michael Johns with the prospect of being spared two seasons ago, only to say, "but not this year." I remember that he was kind of pissed about it. Also, that was the pre-judges'-save era, so I think an additional save would be overkill.

8. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to Jeff Beck and Annie Lennox this year. Annie blew everyone else away during her past two appearances.

9. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Aghhhhh please....why does a show that prides itself so much on "real" singing insist on these horrible mimed group numbers? At least the old live ones were entertaining with the failed attempts at blending. Also, the better singers tended to blow the weaker ones away when they took solos, so maybe that has something to do with it.

10. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Can you honestly see Victoria Beckham going to Kentucky? She looks like a cross between an alien and a wax doll. It's a shame, she was quite attractive during the early years of the Spice Girls.

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Jesus, the Black Eyed Peas are terrible. There's lots of cheesy pop I like as aa guilty pleasure, but I really REALLY hate them.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

+1

13. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

+2

14. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Steve Vai is on Idol. This really is the year of the guitar. (I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but Casey's weekly playing as well as some smokin' lead players in the guest performers bands and Orianthi).

15. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Quite the misnomer to say the show prides itself on that. The judges often point it out (when it suits their fancy) but they're far too interested in many, many things other than just a voice and how well someone can use it. "In the end it's a singing competition." Say the judges (on occasion). Malarky.

16. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

How long is this show?

17. guidedbyvoices

annie lennox sang great, and that part made my 5 year old cry, which made me misty myself. I think she learned tonight how lucky he really is. its weird watching life through a little kid, wow.

18. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Elton John just said "condom" on AI. Not that I can't handle it, but they go to such lengths to make it a family oriented show.

To answer the question at hand: Justin Bieber is supposed to be the headlining performance, so they still have to fit in at least one more segment, unless they cut him completely (it's pre-taped).

Edit: Wow, they cut Bieber after all.

19. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It got turned after the results. The musical performances were ok, Annie was great as was Jeff Beck and Joss Stone. Stairway to Heaven wasn't a total let down, but they should have let Steve Vai break out more in the solo than Orianthi. Also, Ryan should get some pointers from Dick Clark about how not to go over time, since he's his heir.

20. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Good to see Tim Urban finally hit the bricks--and great to see Siobhan not in trouble at all...

21. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

I thought the same thing: it's nice to see Orianthi flash some chops, but...you come to the big solo section and you have Steve Vai play RHYTHM guitar??? What were they thinking?

22. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm glad I knew in advance to set my DVR to record an additional half hour, though I have a feeling that when I watch the show I'm going to be fast-forwarding through a lot of it.

Sad to see Tim go, but it was his time. I finally watched this week's performances last night and agree with some of the previous comments about the general unimpressiveness of everyone this week. The only good performance, once again, was delivered by Crystal. Siobhan had her moments, but her breathing and phrasing detracted from her otherwise good performance. Everyone else could have gone home this week, especially Lee DeWyze. I still don't understand the judges' uniform praise of this guy; apart from his interesting tone, the guy's singing is horrible.

23. I was hoping Tim would leave for the longest time but the last few weeks he actually performed a lot better than some of the others.

24. guidedbyvoices

agreed. he seems like a genuinely nice kid, but he was never a threat to win, so fine with me he got booted. hopefully casey takes this as a wakeup call to stop sleepwalking through this

25. phish

phish Jack Your Body

we watched the whole show in 15 minutes. thank goodness for dvr's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.