Amp Decision: Rogue or Yamaha - which amp brings the warmth?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Minty_fresh, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I looked at your profile to see what speakers needed this power with guts and I'm a bit perplexed since the speakers are the Focal 807v. Are there other speakers involved, or am I missing something? I'm not sure what you're expecting out of the Focal 807v, but the issue isn't the amplification, it's the speakers themselves. Nothing wrong with your speakers, but you can't defy the law of physics. Guts requires something that can push a lot of air. You want something your speakers aren't going to ever provide. Your speakers aren't hard to drive and they don't need a lot of power. They just aren't the most "gutsy" speaker, largely due to their small size. You might not want to hear that, but this is the truth. You wouldn't put a pickup truck on a race track because that's not its function.

Do with this what you will, but a $3500 Yamaha amp isn't going to transform your Focals to provide guts. Nothing will. Good luck.

Strat-Mangler and Slimwhit33 like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My McIntosh is not dull and muted. And mine also is reliable in a way few are (it's used every day for hours at a time). The Yamaha amps I like best are the separates from the days of yore. My all time favorite auto lift DD turntable is the Yamaha GT 2000 (Japan Domestic Market) and I love early Yamaha receivers (and have owned three of them). Have you ever owned McIntosh, and for 5 years or more?. I've owned Yamaha for more than 5 years. And if someone hadn't offered me twice what I'd paid for mine, I'd still own my old CR 3020 receiver, I loved it. And if I ever run into another, it's welcomed back in one of my systems. It was reliable, did like to run a bit warmer. And it made nice music. And if I were shopping for a new amplifier, the Yamaha integrated in that price class posted about here, would be a top contender. It's one of the nicest from Yamaha in years, reminds me heavily of the good Yamaha classics.

ThorensSme and Helom like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

100% right.

You can't turn gear into what it isn't. No amount of spending would make my bookshelf speakers sound like Magnepans. It's just not how this works.

btf1980, lonelysea and McLover like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That is very true. Gear can't be turned into what it isn't/

5. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Just a thought about the refurb or even new Yamaha vs the Rogue long term. Rogue only charges a flat $180 bench fee for service and the CM is a far simpler design that the Yamaha. This pretty much eliminates most concerns buying used Rogue gear.

I bought all my Rogue gear used in the past and wouldn't hesitate to do so in the future.

McLover, JNTEX and 500Homeruns like this.
  6. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

You sold a Yamaha CR-3020??? Shame on you! o_O :)

To the OP, did you at least try the Yamaha's Loudness function with the Focal's? It's there to add body at low levels. I guess I don't understand why that wouldn't have worked? If I had small(er) 2- way speakers, a Yamaha integrated, with Loudness, would be at the top of my list. Plus, those Yamaha's have tone controls too. A slight treble cut can enhance the body of the music too. :whistle:

7. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I think we ran him off. Sometimes the truth just isnt what a person wants to hear.

Strat-Mangler and StimpyWan like this.
  8. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Apologies for implying your McIntosh gear is any less than stellar. Just trying to make the point that modern Yamaha amplifiers are anything but "bright sounding". Your 3020 was a legendary beast, but it's not fair to compare a 40-year-old receiver with the latest Yamaha equipment the OP is considering.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I was like that in my youth. Had a specific idea in mind and regardless of all the experience and knowledge others had, I just *had* to do what I had in mind... which resulted in lots of wasted money, time, effort, and lots of regret.

But there's no better teaching tool than to go through it. :)

HankM likes this.
  10. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I dont remember my youth. Do damn old

F1nut and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Wow...speaker shaming the OP until he left the thread and hid his profile.

Maybe he could just add a sub?

HankM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.