Amp for Harbeth SHL5+?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by misterdecibel, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

My Hegel H360 is rock solid. Not saying its Alan's issue is an anomaly but they have a good reputation in the market.

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

If Alan is having trouble with the manufacturer with all his connections, just imagine how much trouble you'd have.

3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

One bad example is not a significant sample size.

One good example is not a significant sample size. But seriously, Alan’s demo amp could have been exposed to a harsh life traveling from show to show. I would expect Hegel products to be very reliable, and since Alan chose it to demo his speakers, I would expect excellent sonics too.

4. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Alan Shaw's tale is here - https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup...ils-a-repeated-caution-in-amplifier-selection.

The key point is whether the manufacturer has local dealer support and service facilities in the UK.

There is more detail here - https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup...3-5-roksan-ka1-mkiii-or-primare-a20-for-p3esr

"This is absolutely vital to understand.

Since I accidentally killed my demo amp in February (there were no indications on the rear panel that the outputs were in bridge mode, so my earthed oscilloscope shorted the output to ground*) I have been in sporadic negotiation with the overseas brand* trying to get it collected and repaired. It has been a struggle.

Bemoaning my lot concerning this with a chance mutual acquaintance at the Munich show last month, the CEO of the brand made contact with me. I told him that his very affable - but young - colleagues simply did not have the developed sense of brand value destruction that I (and I assumed he) had, in situations where after-care is needed. He had to agree that the whole handling of the case had been disappointing, doubly so as I am a fellow manufacturer, and one with a forum. Selling is the easy bit. Keeping the customer 100% satisfied months and years later requires a different skill set, and an investment in the brand's long-term perception.

I'm still awaiting the repair four months on. Can we recommend that brand here any more?

Be very, very careful when buying complex electronics. If you have money to burn and a casual attitude buying and throwing away, then feed on reviews. If you, like me, find that concept quite repulsive and seek long-term value for money, pick up the phone and call the local agent and ask some probing questions about after-care. Get a sense of whether they have the staff, equipment, space and interest in getting you going again or whether it's a load of BS. Perhaps the best example in the audio business is QUAD's service dept. in Huntingdon, the yardstick by which you can compare others.

* Interestingly, there is no marking on the carton or amp as to place of origin/manufacture. Not even the oft-seen 'Designed in X, made in Y'. Surprise then that one of the reasons for difficulties in servicing that brand in Europe is that despite appearances, the reality is that the products are entirely made in PRC, and have been for many years. That translates into excellent value, but the flip side is potential starvation of spare parts and service equipment/skills in Europe."

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered Thread Starter

Well, I've gone with a Threshold S/300 II. I've only just installed it, so it's too soon to tell how it works in this system, I've got it burning in on NPR right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.