Amp or Pre-Amp ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mickey g, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi. I'm having a problem with my stereo set up. The sound is breaking up, and it seems more so as the volume is increased. I think I've eliminated the source, as it happens with all inputs.

Thanks !

2. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I don't see your system in your profile.

3. mickey g

I'm fairly new here, Jim. They wouldn't let me have an avatar until a certain number of posts, so...Anyway, it's a B&K AVP 1000 preamp & B&K ST1430 amp.

4. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

Does the sound "Break-up" when you are turning the volume knob, or when the system is just playing?
    One channel or both?

5. mickey g

I'll have it cranking for a bit, then it starts to break up. When I lower the volume, it still breaks up, but not as frequently.

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I assume you've had this equipment for a while and have used it in the same configuration/set-up you have now?

The reason I ask is that I used to use a B&K Ref. 30 preamp and it took a trip to their repair house and back to me with the same issue for me to realize that the thing simply got too hot and didn't have proper ventilation. I had to put it on top of my equipment rack so the heat could radiate out of both sides and the top in order for it to work properly. The symptom sounds similar to yours: It started out sounding fine but once it warmed up the sound would break up.

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

when my b&k was getting hot it did the same thing. It was in the Amp and then it would blow a fuse.

8. mickey g

Thanks, Iv & Dennis. Yeah, that sounds about right. I'd take it down to the shop, but it's like 16 years old now & been thru a lot of house repair (read sheetrock dust) so, maybe time to invest in new stuff ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.