Amp wattage question for bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nogoodnik, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart Thread Starter

So, here’s the sitch.

I’m looking to get a desktop amp for the purpose of driving a pair of bookshelf speakers that used to be part of a Sharp bookshelf combo 5 disc changer system. The speakers connected to the Sharp system with just speaker wire, not RCA connectors.

I will be playing from my Mac and/or iPhone via the Dragonfly Black DAC to a 3.5 mini plug cable out to RCA connectors into the amp.

Here’s my question: If the Sharp system’s wattage output was 105 watts, do I need an amp with that much wattage output in order to drive the speakers and get comparable output? I’m currently trying to drive them with a Fosi amp (which I’m pretty sure is only 50 watts), and the overall fidelity is decent at best, but there is very muted bass response. I know the speakers have the capability of putting out deeper bass, but that was when they were part of the overall bookshelf system. I initially bought the Fosi amp a few years ago for its Bluetooth capability, but I no longer need that option.

The speakers have a maximum input power listed at 100 watts.

I’m looking to spend under $200, so I’m looking seriously at the Atom Amp from JDS Labs. I’m hoping that‘ll do the trick. I do know if I go for the Atom, I’ll have to get an RCA-speaker wire adapter.
    JDS Labs - Atom Amp - HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER + PREAMP

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The 100 watts quoted is the maximum
    They will take.
    The 50 Watts you are presently using
    Will be sufficient.
    The lack of bass can be helped by moving
    Closer to the wall behind them.
    I suspect the 50 Watts you are using
    Are cleaner Watts due to a better amplifier.

rcsrich likes this.
  3. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

What model are the speakers?

4. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

The JDS is a headphone amplifier, not intended for speakers. Definitely not what you want; it puts out about one watt per channel.

Are you sure the Sharp was 100W output? Or was that possibly the power consumption rating, printed on the back along with the voltage/UL info? (If it consumed 100W total, it probably output less than 25W per channel).

Also, I would guess the Fosi amp's claim of 50W is probably nonsense. Manufacturers can pretty much say whatever they want, and those tiny, cheap amps are usually pretty anemic. Any half-decent 50w amp would have no trouble at all with those speakers.

I noticed a recent thread about a $100 Sony receiver that's getting a lot of praise. I haven't heard it, but it might just suit your needs: Inexpensive Sony stereo receiver getting attention from youtube reviewers

There is a possibility that the Sharp amplifier had some built-in equalization, designed for those speakers. (For instance, it may have boosted the bass). If that's the case, you'll need to tweak the EQ for anything you get to replace it to sound similar. A receiver like the Sony should have EQ/tone adjustments. That may not be necessary, though.

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  5. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

@kamchatka is right do not use the JDS Labs headphone amp for speakers you'll damage it as he says its not designed for speakers there is a big difference between what headphones will present to the amp and what speakers will do ..so thats not a way forward ..

6. Nogoodnik

The speakers are Sharp Model CP-DK255.

7. Nogoodnik

I think you’re right about the power consumption rating. Thanks so much for your input!

8. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

As far as those speakers, the sticker on the back says 5 cm tweet, 12 cm woof, rated 50 W power handling, max 100W.

9. Nogoodnik

Yeah, I was scratching my head as to why they weren’t producing the bass they should with the Fosi. At the same time, I’m woefully ignorant about wattage, ohms, etc. I also kept a pair of slightly larger Sony bookshelf speakers (with the same max wattage of 100) from an even older Sony system and essentially the same thing happened with them. The Sharps are sitting on my desk, maybe an inch from the wall. I suppose moving them closer could help.

10. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

A typical bookshelf speaker will play at 80-something dB at 1 meter distance and 1 watt of power. In other words, loud. Maximum power handling of the speaker has no relevance to that.

11. Nogoodnik

So, since I've written off the amp being the issue, I'm wondering is it just sheer placement of the speakers.

Like I said, they are sitting on my desk, but my desk is really a makeshift one made out of a piece of wood (maybe plywood?) made for a door, and it's affixed via velcro on two sawhorses (the ones from Ikea). I'm just wondering since it's not a typical desk, the construction of it might play into how the lower frequencies travel. Also, this is a small 2nd floor office in a townhouse; could it be the aspect of being further from the ground? (I realize this might be desperate clutching at straws, but I'm looking to understand what's happening.)

In addition, I'm wondering if I would get better bass response from using foam isolation pads underneath the speakers. Do those typically aid in bass response, or are their results not that specific, fidelity-wise?

I wouldn't necessarily be going for the MoPad ones, probably just the $15 ones you can get on Amazon.

Again, I'm grateful for any opinion.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.