Ampex/ATR question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by indy mike, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

There have been several threads talking about Ampex tape machines lately; in the same threads ATR is mentioned - what exactly does the ATR stand for? Ampex Tape Recorder? Izzit a corporate name? :confused:

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I am pretty sure that it stands for analog tape recorder, because this machine came out just as digital machines such as the 3M system and the Soundstream system were coming out, so calling this machine the Ampex Analog Tape Recorder drew a distinct line between the digital technologies and the analog. The ATR 100 series was, and still is a revolutionary analog tape recorder, different from any previous tape machine from Ampex, or any company. It has a pinch roller-less servo controled transport, a "handheld calculator" type keypad for transport controls. All electronics are on pull out cards, that can be removed with no tools. It is really an amazing machine.

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Thank you!

4. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

I believe it stands for Audio Tape Recorder, as opposed to Video Tape Recorder. Ampex also made professional video transports, and several of their classic multi-track machines, such as the MM-1000/1100 series, were originally designed as video decks.

As Joe says the ATR-100 represented a complete re-thinking of transport design. It was in production from approx. 1977-82 as the ATR-100, 102, and 104. The 100 and 102 were quarter inch, 2-track decks, the 104 a half-inch, 4-track machine.

I say "were" because Michael Spitz and others have since built a business on custom modifications to these machines, both electronics and head blocks. Half-inch, 2-track is very common, and there are a few ONE-INCH, 2-tracks out there as well. (Mark Knopfler, etc.) Can you say "PHAT TONE?"

Just before they went out of production in 1982, Ampex was working on a digital version of the ATR. The digital electronics were carried in the base of the stand, but the rest of the transport looked relatively the same. I know I have seen pictures in Mix magazine and the like...

Best of luck with your new machine, Joe.

peace to all,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.