Amplifier suggestions for Harbeth?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man-o-man, OK, there's a lot out there, and my budget would be roughly $2,000 ~ $4,000... I'd prefer phono integrated, but not a deal breaker. I've heard everything from low-watt SET stuff being fine, to the opposite that I will need watts to make the Harbeth's sing. I've got the P3ESRs paired with a Brio-R now, but could possibly go to the C7ES-3 or M30.1 within a few years after I move into a bigger space next year. I've heard great things about Audio Note, Ayre, Quad, Simaudio, Roksan, and Naim. This is for a two-channel vinyl rig. Many thanks!
    –R

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

LFD or Sonneteer.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  3. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

The new Naim Supernait 2 is supposed to be killer. I had the old version and heard it with 40.1s, Wow!
    Also check out Decwares higher powered amps if you want tubes.

beowulf likes this.
  4. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I'm telling ya ... the Decware Mystery Amp is on the horizon!

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've heard Albarry monoblocks making nice sounds with the Harbeth HL5. Croft amps are also recommended as a good match by many people. I can't see anyone who likes Harbeth going for the Naim sound.

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Look at some Class A solid state amps, as Harbeth seems to be popularly matched with solid state. Also, get a stand alone phono-pre already, maybe even before you start listening to new amps.

raferx likes this.
  7. Ryan Rocks

Ryan Rocks Member

I use a Simaudio amp and preamp for my Harbeth C7s and I think my system sounds great.
    The amp is 50w and I may upgrade in the future. But what I did first is upgrade from the Simaudio Moon 110 to 310 preamp and that made a huge improvement in sound.
    What I plan to do if I upgrade the amp is consider ones that I can borrow from a dealer and test in my system.

8. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

They should sound great with tubes or solid state.

9. raferx

Hey Art,
    I checked out the Sonneteer Campion online - looks pretty sweet. Especially the stuff you wrote over at Audiogon after you made the switch from the Brio-R (which I have and love as well). You described the sound as a significant step-up compared to the Brio-R... you still stand by that? The Brio-R is still in the house isn't it?
    Thanks in advance Art!
    –R

10. raferx

Ha!
    I know, right?
    Probably not a bad idea, but if I can find a nice integrated with a phono stage that ups the Brio-R, then that would be nice too.
    I should grab a Slee or Phonomena or a Moon 310, I know... decisions, decisions. At least I got my speakers sorted!

11. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Keep the Brio-r.

dhoffa85 likes this.
  12. Art K

Yes, I do still stand by that. The Brio-R is being used by my wife with an Apollo and a pair of Quad 11L Classics. I just bought a pair of Spendor A6R's that I am using the Sonneteer with and the match is excellent. The best part is that the MM phono on the Campion is significantly better than that on the Brio-R. Wonderfully built amp that gets all of the fundamentals correct and really lets the communication between musicians rise to the surface.

13. raferx

Thanks for that Art. Having owned the P3ESRs, in your opinion would the Campion be a nice pairing? And can you speak at all to it's abilities to drive Compact-7s or M30.1s down the road? Harbeth, I've been led to believe, while not the most efficient, present an easy load to most amps. I'm really looking to get an amp and forget about it for quite a while!

14. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Thinking long term is a great idea - I'd suggest picking up a Bryston 2.5B (135 Watt power amp). Keep that sucker for the length of the warranty (20 years) and switch out preamps and/or phono pre's over time... Careful with people's views on amplifiers - instantaneously comparing level matched amplifiers is a real eye opener...

motorcitydave likes this.
  15. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I think you now know, only lots of listening to many amps will pin this down FOR YOU :)

16. raferx

Absolutely, agreed.
    But through experience I have found that recommendations have led me to gear that I love that I would have previously never heard of.
    Sonneteer could be a perfect example.
    Cheers Gord,
    –R

17. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

The mid range sonneteer comes highly recommended, that's the Alabaster btw.

18. Art K

I ran the P3's with an Alabaster and it was a fantastic match. You couldn't play the P3's real loud with the Campion but it would sound fabulous.

19. raferx

As loud as the Brio-R? Because I don't even get past 11 o'clock with it.

20. Art K

raferx likes this.
  21. raferx

22. stever

stever Senior Member

I've never had anything but Naim with my Harbeth and Spendor speakers. I started with a Nait 5i and I loved that little amp. Then I bought Naim separates which I will keep and enjoy for the rest of my time on Earth.

raferx likes this.
  23. Art K

They never completely stopped production. If you were interested just email Sonneteer. They will also make an Alabaster with phono if requested.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  24. raferx

No kidding? Wow, that's great. I should have thought as much since they list "bespoke" on their website. Thanks again Art! An Alabaster with a phono stage could be the cat's pyjamas.

VinylRob likes this.
  25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I had Compact 7s driven by a Nait 5i, it sounded grait!

stever and dhoffa85 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.