Amy Winehouse's legacy as an artist- what is it now; one year after her death?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Not from me. I didn't follow any of it, I just like her songs and that's what I will remember her for. You will probably remember her for her lifestyle.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  3. Still primarily a cautionary tale, but her talent will out I think. "Rehab" and "You Know I'm No Good" will have legs beyond their harbinger status.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I watched it and loved it. May Amy Rest in Peace and be fondly remembered by those who knew her at her peak, before she became consumed by her demons.

5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

One year is nothing to evaluate her musical legacy. I hate these illicit t-shirts that flood the market stands when a performer dies. After Kurt Cobain's demise every other teen had one on.

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Who's Amy Winehouse? She'll be almost totally forgotten in five years.

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

:rolleyes:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

a lot of dismissive garbage in this thread, typically.

she was fantastic and will be remembered for her voice and her music.

well said.

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

She made one album. Good, but that was it. Not groundbreaking.

Hardly a lasting legacy can be based on that. We will remember her for her drug abuse and how media was counting the days until she died.

10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I think that the greater part of her legacy will be due to having died young than for any other reason. She was certainly talented (although by no means the extraordinary talent that many have claimed) but her music was too conservative for her to stand out in musical history.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That might be true. I was at the Hawley Arms (her drinking hole) last year (not by choice may I add, never cared for the place even before it became the place to go) and there was a miniature version of Amy. Dolled up the same way. Quite sad really.

Anyway, one year is way to soon.

12. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

This is what I was thinking - too soon to tell. Needs at least 5-10 years to see where things go.

As mentioned, Adele is a good example given her record-shattering album. More R&B influenced albums like that and one could eventually say that Ms. Winehouse could have a lasting impression historically.

13. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

+1.

I remember setting up her stuff twice and her not showing up twice.

A couple of radio stations had some memorial thing for her yesterday in which she was called "queen of soul", "the best female singer ever from the UK", "a vocal goddess", and some more superlatives.
    She DEFINITELY was NOT the queen of soul, I know several better singers from the UK, and she certainly was no deity when it comes to singing.
    She DID rule the bottle and anything with a needle or in the shape of a pill though.

14. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Not as a challenge, but out of curiosity, who are some better UK singers. I love Amy, but maybe I'd love them too.

15. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Unfulfilled potential, that's her legacy....

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

While I think she had potential, one good album does not cement a legacy. Maybe I'm missing it, being too old, but there was nothing gound breaking about the album. It was a great soulful album but nothing that changed the direction of music.

Unfortunately her lifestyle is what will be remembered. The first time I saw her on TV I turned to my wife and said what is this freakshow. It was then that I realized I was simply too old to "get" her.

Those that compare Winehouse to Janis, yes they both were druggies no doubt about that, but Janis was able perform hundreds of concerts over her brief life without passing out.

17. Mary Hopkin
    Charlotte Gainsbourg

18. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

Really? I think it had a huge impact. Most significantly, I don't think we'd have ever heard Adele had it not been for Amy Winehouse.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh, I think Adele would've come along and found popularity just fine without Amy Winehouse or her one big hit.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. This is not an Amy Winehouse appreciation thread. Some people seem to think that Amy's legacy will be mainly as a poster child for the dangers of alcohol and drug abuse. I agree with this view.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Have never heard any of her stuff.

22. PaulKTF

Yes.

And if that's her legacy above and beyond the music, then so be it- at least it might wake some people up who otherwise would follow in her footsteps.

23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Kinda like Janis Joplin's legacy? Or more like Whitney Houston's?

24. PaulKTF

Maybe, but I think Janis had a lot more mainstream success and lasting popularity owing to having a longer career.

25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Janis has had more "lasting popularity" because she was born much earlier and has been dead much longer.

I don't think her career was longer than Amy's, either - she was more prolific in a shorter span, I guess.

My point was that Janis' legacy is more about the music than the drugs, and Amy's will be the same (no matter how much the haters desperately wish otherwise)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.