An album track or obscure song from the past that takes you right back.. Bee Gees "Please Read Me."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This is another one I heard again recently. I'm not sure if it was a hit here, but I know it from somewhere! I still love it!

Paperback Writer and bmoregnr like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

And another one. This was a #1 here in 1974.

Not obscure, but I hadn't heard it in forever.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Brian Kelly likes this.
  3. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

DC5's Everybody Knows....brings me back to my school days and an early crush. Sigh. :)

4. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Virtually every track and single or b-side from the Bee Gees has that effect on me straight on through the "Jumbo"/"The Singer Sang His Song" single. Some stunners on the b-sides that were my own little secret stash hardly anyone else seemed to know about, things like "Sir Goeffrey Saved the World", "Sinking Ships". That group mesmerized me.

Another Time Machine for me is S&G's "Fakin' It"/"You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies" single--and I must emphasize that: the SINGLE. Something sure happened on the way to the Bookends album.

forthlin likes this.
  5. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Close Another Door from the Bee Gees 1st mono, bought it at WA Family Store in Sumter, SC along with Mono Magical Mystery Tour.

I also remember walking to a friends house with my Zenith transistor radio listening to I Am A Rock and marveling at the depth of the lyrics.

6. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

What else was on the Bee Gees comp?

7. davers

davers Forum Resident

Elton's "Burn Down The Mission" takes me back to my first memory of listening to FM radio as a kid in the early 70s. I was noodling around with the kitchen radio after school and still remember the details...including the DJ (who was doing FM AOR radio in Seattle for the next 40 years or so).

Nothing against top 40, but hearing that song really opened my ears to deeper album-oriented tracks.

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I don't really have an anecdote connected to anything, but strangely, I recall the stores where I bought many of my albums. Buying records was a huge deal for me as a kid, so the retailers are somewhat indelibly etched in my brain.:)

Paperback Writer and davers like this.
  9. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The KLAATU album takes me back to my freshman year at college. That was the year I went from Beatles fan to fanatic. I so wanted to believe it was the Beatles, but I knew it wasn't. Still "Sub Rosa Subway" has a real McCartney MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR era vibe, the "with your mind in mind" part of "Dr. Marvello" is very Harrison like and the middle section "...please interstellar policeman..." section of "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" has a Beatles like style.
    And it was fun looking at the album cover for "clues" too!

10. 1900 Yesterday by Liz Damon's Orient Express and I Love You by The People always take me back to the 1969 - 1970 time. Listening to KIMN radio 95 in mile high Denver.

11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Fantastic post. I am an early Bee Gees freak, have been for 20 years...and this type of memory jogging happens to me all the time.

Hence the cliche..the soundtrack of your life.

JeffMo likes this.
  12. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I have a lot of obscure record triggers. For example, because I had to listen to b-sides before the a side of anything, this record places me smack in the months just after Woodstock. I never necessarily liked the record all that much until the line "you know what I wanted more?" at about 4 minutes in....., but it's deep in my 1970-or-so dna now. I'm right back there and see every vivid detail of my life that year-

56GoldTop likes this.
  13. John54

John54 Senior Member

I love Please Read Me, it's my favourite track off First! In the "simple but effective" category. Perhaps another is Never Say Never Again from Odessa, another favourite. One great song they released which didn't do as much as it should (as I recall) was If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else. Classic melancholy there.

There are plenty of songs that place images in my mind whenever I think of them, although hits are more likely than obscurities. One song that seemed to be ubiquitous in the summer of '65 but has somehow been forgotten is Operator by Brenda Holloway. Great lyrics, classic Motown, one of their most underrated songs. I just get an image of the streets around the house I grew up in as a child in Burlington. Lots of songs do that; Action by Freddie Cannon is another. Two more that bring back memories of the school bus in fall of '64 are She's Not There by the Zombies and Little GTO by Ronnie and the Daytonas. There's also a public swimming pool where I had lessons in '65 and '66 that certain songs bring back memories of it, like Eve of Destruction and I Fought the Law.

I'm still finding obscure, often brilliant tracks from the '60s that I've never heard before, with If You Ever Need Me by Margaret Mandolph being top of the list probably. And there are few songs that conjure up more atmosphere than Yellow Beads by The Avant-Garde (Chuck Woolery's band). Too bad they didn't get the chance back then, but somehow these tracks can feel nostalgic even though I discovered them in 2013 or something like that.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. glewes

glewes Forum Resident

"No Surfin' Today" by The Four Seasons (B side of "Dawn"). Driving around on an evening in the fall of 1964 with my buddy, up on the central Maine coast. WMEX from Boston used to come in really clear at night and on the coast. Listening to Woo Woo Ginsburg, who played it and announced that anyone going to Adventure Car Hop (just outside Boston) and, when ordering their burger, said "Woo Woo Ginsberg" would get a free copy of "No Surfin Today." We looked at each other, turned the car around, and headed for Boston (just for the hell of it--it was an over 3 hour drive). Adventure Car Hop closed at midnight and we tried to beat the clock--but missed by 15 minutes or so. All that way for nothing! Until we discovered that that very night was when the clocks were set back for the end of daylight savings! It was only 11:15! We got the 45 and drove, more slowly, back to Maine. And played the heck out of that song for weeks! (Yes, I still have the beat-up old 45 and spin it from time to time to recall that car hop adventure.)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  15. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Redd Kross -- Mckenzie

16. OldShiftyEyes

OldShiftyEyes Forum Resident

At this point, hits rarely transport me back since I've heard them so many times by now that they've mostly lost that effect. It almost always has to be a song I haven't listened to in a while. The last time it happened was a few months ago when I heard the theme from TV's "Moonlighting," as sung by Al Jarreau. It was a hit at the time but never gets radio play now. So when I heard it I was immediately 12 years old again, lying down on the floor of my dad's office where the second TV (the smaller, kid's TV) resided, doing my math homework with my sister beside me doing her elementary schoolwork, watching Dave and Maddie on "Moonlighting."

17. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

The "Nazz Are Blue" by the Yardbirds. B-side. Takes me right back to my boyhood bedroom in FTL.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  18. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Back in the early '90s, the Fastbacks released a fantastic album called Zucker that had a completely heartfelt cover of "Please Read Me" on it. Because I had not discovered the early Bee Gees yet, it was my introduction to the song, and hearing it still takes me back to the first of many cruddy college apartments, where I used to play that CD endlessly when I had friends over. That and another Seattle favorite from the era, the Posies' Dear 23. (Ironically, though I don't think I knew this at the time, the Posies' Ken Stringfellow and the Fastbacks' Kim Warnick were married.)

davers likes this.
  19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This one always does it for me.

Paperback Writer and 56GoldTop like this.
  20. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I wasn't actually walking the planet in '68; but, when I listened to my dad's 45 rpm single of this for the first time in the mid to late 70's, in my single digits, this song made an indelible impression, especially the hauntingly beautiful "coda". Not even my jazz snob years or my metal headbanging years were able to erase this from endearing memory. On the album, the "coda" is separated at around the 2:02 mark, with two songs in between. Twenty something years after the fact, I hunted the full album down until I found it and bought two copies. My daughter now owns one of them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Well, if it's taking me back to 7 years old I guess Love Seems Doomed from the Blues Magoos Psychedelic Lollipop LP. Something about that tune takes me right back to the living room of the house we lived in only for that year. I guess the whole album does it.

22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Not that I have heard this in quite some time, but I can, at this very moment, clearly picture the exact friend's room where I first heard this thing, forty years ago at the tender age of nine, [I think that is the gist of this thread]:

23. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

This happens often for me. Like Bob Dobalina, those Rhino Super Hits Of The 70s comps are big memory inducers for me. Even the songs on there I don't directly remember seem suffused with the ether of their times in such a way I feel transported even without a specific memory attached.

The first album I ever owned was Wings' Londontown. Whenever I hear "Cafe On The Left Bank" especially, I recall at once the girl I began to have a crush on that late spring of 1978 (her brother was one I remember speaking favorably of the album) and the afternoon I was hanging out with my best friend Steve in his yard sharing my dreams of Wendy when he stepped on a nail and had to go have it looked at, ending a promising day. "Cafe" was going around in my head when it happened, and what sounded so cheerful on the walk up to his house became a dirge on the way home.

24. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

When i joined the Boy Scouts in '66 we'd play WIXY 1260 in the car driving to campouts (until the station faded out a little over half-way to the camp). WIXY had a 60 song survey so I was exposed to plenty of "bubbling under" and regional records. I call this list of songs the "Boy Scout" songs. I can vision parts of I-90 whenever I hear these songs.
    First the truly obscure:
    "Matthew and Son" Cat Stephens
    "Love, Love, Love, Love Love" Terry Knight and the Pack
    "I (Who Have Nothing)" Terry Knight and the Pack
    "Time" The Pozo-Seco Singers
    Less obscure but also from the same era:
    "Stop, Stop, Stop" The Hollies
    "A Hazy Shade of Winter" Simon and Garfunkle
    "Red Rubber Ball" The Cyrkle
    "Look Through My Window" Mamas & Papas
    "If I Were a Carpenter" Bobby Darin
    Plus some Motown classics:
    "Bernadette" The Four Tops
    "Falling in and out of Love" The Supremes

And from the Bee Gees - "New York Mining Disaster 1941"

For some reason the "obscure" songs stuck in my memory probably because I did not know they were obscure.

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

"Happy Ending " by the Big E. and also "Follow That Dream"

I went with my older sister to see It Happened at the Worlds Fair and a few days after that I bought my first album at Woolworth's with my own money..the soundtrack. I hear the song now and I'm instantly back at the Gateway theater, scrambling on the floor to find my sisters retainer which somehow fell out of her mouth as the song was playing. I found it, so the movie and the retainer scramble story both had a happy ending. :p In retrospect it's not much of song.

I bought the Follow That Dream EP also, which would probably be worth a few bucks these days, but using a dart gun I shot the head off the only model my sister ever made, an Indian princess holding a pie. She was so mad I bribed her with the EP and a couple of 45's to keep her mouth shut instead of running downstairs to tell our parents. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.