An alternative counterweight for the Rega RP6...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinBob, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello All,

Recently upgraded from a Rega Planar 2 TT to an RP6. I wanted to make use of the Technoweight counterweight I had been using which I have read, does wonders on an RP6 also, as people seem to have this installed. However, according to my dealer whom I have asked to perform the install before they ship out to me, they have stated that the Michell Technoweight is not compatible with the RB301 and RB303 tonearms [​IMG]

This was their comment:
    The Michell Technoweight will not work with current 303 or 301 tonearms due to Rega making a change in the threading of their tonearms and Michell not following the switch.

When I questioned, I got the following:
    Our technician did discuss it with Michell, and the issue is the installation process. It is possible to put it on there, but it is a pretty involved process to get it on there, and once you do you will probably never get it off. If the installation does not go smoothly which they cannot guarantee it would effectively kill your tone-arm. So short answer is yes you can probably get it on there and people have, but it is not something we can do for you due to the risk and the possible damage it could cause the tonearm

Any other thoughts/ideas on a counterweight upgrade that would work, or is this a simple sign to leave things as they are? I really wanted to use the Technoweight as it is better than the standard one that is on there, but I am not prepared to risk damage to the tonearm...

2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I am not a Rega owner but I am aware of Groove Tracer who make what seem to be highly regarded Rega upgrades.

Just a thought.

Here is their URL:

http://www.groovetracer.com

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. VinBob

Thanks for the recommendation - I am actually aware of Groovetracer and I see they have one - I wonder how it compares to the Michell Technoweight - anyone have any info and compared the two?

Why can't companies simply keep things to a standard size/fitting...?!?! :doh:

4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Artech, Michell's US distributor, claims that it will fit.

http://www.artech-electronics.com/us/products/michell/mich_upg.html

Perhaps you can email Michell yourself?

TecnoWeight with built-in stylus force adjustment - Fits Rega RB100/101/202/250/300/301/303/600/700/900/1000$179.00
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    John Michell, one of audio’s best known and most respected audio engineers, designed this versatile, precision-engineered, geometrically correct counterweight system, suitable for all Rega arms and their various derivatives. This all stainless steel device will fit the Rega RB100/101/202/250/300/301/303/600/700/900/1000 arms and their variants such as Moth, Audio Note, Goldring, and Origin Live OL-1 arms. (Will NOT fit any other OL arms). The TecnoWeight will handle a wide range of cartridges, with weights from 3g to 13g. This versatility is achieved by supplying two different counterweights for cartridges in the 3-6g and 6-13g ranges. (For heavier cartridges Like the ZU, you will also need to purchase the Extra Heavy Counterweight below). The chosen counterweight is fitted to a slider bush that travels on a new, stainless steel stub shaft. An aluminum vernier knob that screws onto the rear of the stub shaft allows precise, calibrated adjustment of tracking weight in increments of one tenth of a gram. The Counterweight itself is underslung below the main axis of the arm tube to bring the centre of gravity of the whole arm tube assembly in line with the stylus tip. The TecnoWeight’s precision engineering and fine adjustment capability provides a significant sound improvement. The replacement of the plastic stub shaft and large diameter counterweight, allow for much more control, precision and detail in musical reproduction. When used with RB300/301/303/600 arms, the TecnoWeight dispenses with the need to use the arm's own somewhat questionable tracking force system, which further improves sound reproduction. The TecnoWeight is standard on Michell's flagship TecnoArm. Will not fit on RP1 tonearms.

5. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

6. jupiterboy likes this.
  7. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I have a Rega and highly recommend the Groovetracer products....

8. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

I do not see the point of buying a same design counterweight.. The underslung ones yeah I could see buying.. But the same circular weight strikes me as a waste of time?
    I would like to buy one of the underslung types.

utahusker likes this.
  9. VinBob

Thanks for this and I did contact Artech who were very helpful. It seems that Rega are doing something with the RB300 series tonearms with respect to the thread - the thread itself is no different, but the belief, is that Rega may be putting some kind of bonding (almost glue like) into the threads as this is noticeable when trying to simply remove the original end stub, which is difficult to remove, and should not be the case!

So the Technoweight should fit but after a little hassle of having to remove the arm from the plinth, applying some lubricant on the stub and threads in the tonearm and then going back and forth to loosen things until it easily fits...what a PITA!!!

33na3rd likes this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

x2, however I would call and be sure it works. This is a well engineered design that anchors the weight deeper inside the stub and avoids the screw-in stub end altogether. Not the best looking mod, IMO, but works well and is cost effective. The weight is not underslung, as some, but you can place the set screw pointing north, and the improvement in rigidity and moment of inertia are where the biggest improvements are, IMO.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. Also, Pete is an excellent communicator and very honest. Send an email if in doubt.

12. VinBob

So this is now my position:

The dealer I am working with got back to me after they spoke with the Michell distributor here in North America and are wiling to put the Technoweight on, but have basically asked me to agree to terms that would essentially invalidate my warranty on the tonearm with them. While they feel it can be done and are willing to do this very carefully, I would essentially be in a non supported warranty state for the RB303 arm. Sad but true…

There is obviously something going on with the newer RB301 and RB303 arms which would suggest Rega are making it more difficult for people to add their own third party counter weights for improvement. I guess they have maybe taken the stance that customers should not have to remove the end-stub piece as they should be content with the table in its original configuration… :rolleyes:

So unfortunately, I was not willing to take a turntable with no warranty on the tonearm and therefore, will not risk putting the Technoweight onto my arm. This also means I now have to find a more accommodating solution which uses the original end-stub.

Oh well, another item I now have to sell as part of my TT upgrade...

13. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

That's unfortunate, but at least you should be able to get a good price for it, that stuff tends to hold it's value.
    Upgrades can have ripple-effect costs sometimes (don't I know that!)
    Again, I'll suggest the Kerry F2 Ti counterweight.

Cheers,

–R

14. VinBob

Thanks for the recommendation. However, I would prefer an underslung style counterweight as I am not so sure how much of an improvement the Kerry CW would be over the standard one supplied by Rega on the RB303. And of course, it has to work with the existing bloody end-stub!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Vin.

15. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

That Kerry F2 Ti does look interesting. It will fit the stock Rega stub, and the majority of it's weight is below the arm.

16. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I have it on my RP6, it fits perfectly, and the weight is heavily biased to the bottom of the unit. But most importantly is the sound. I could not believe the bass extension.

17. VinBob

Thanks for the recommendation. I wanted something similar to Michell, so I ended up ordering the Groovetracer Technoweight. I am really impressed by the Groovetracer products - they are brilliantly made, the support from the owner is excellent and as I plan to get the Subplatter later in the year, I figured I would go with the same brand of product all the way.

If the Groovetracer doesn't work out for whatever reason, then I will definitely consider this as my next go to option...

18. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Good to go with a set of products at times. I hope it sounds brilliant!

19. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I had an odd experience with counterweights - I bought one for use on a P5, where it fit nicely. When I changed to a P9, I tried installing the non-Rega counterweight it didn't fit. The tonearm stub is too big to fit in the counterweight.

20. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Hi raferx,

I have one question about your Kerry F2 Ti because I'm interested in it.
    I'm using 2mm Rega sim to adjust VTA on my RP6.

Does the Kerry F2 Ti work well with the dust cover? May Kerry F2 Ti contact the dust cover?
    Please let me know it.

21. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Rega changed the outside diameter of the stub.

22. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I have a groovetracer on the rp6 and it's a definite improvement. As you live in N America it makes more sense for you than for me - I was clobbered with customs charges.

The groovetracer is dead easy to fit, and also allows for spacers to be added to the arm without fouling the lid.

oregonalex likes this.
  23. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Did it fit the stock end stub? Seems like GT now make them a tiny bit larger so there no longer is a risk with it not fitting the stock end stub.

In what way did it improve your sound? Getting it to Sweden with shipping + VAT is like 230USD... :shake: If they only had a European distributor. They would increase sales.. a lot..

24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Realise its probably a bit late for a question, however...
    When upgrading the counterweight on a REGA, are you guys disengaging the VTF adjustment on the arm and using the weight to then set tracking force?

25. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Yes, you actually set the VTF on the arm to it's maximum setting, then use the counterweight to set tracking force as you would on a more conventional arm.

If you leave the VTF on the arm set to zero, the arm's VTF spring can resonate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.