An Appreciation: Graham Parker & The Rumour.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dance_hall_keeper, Mar 2, 2017.

1. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Most people will say this...so I won't. :p

Other GP records to check out include...
    12 Haunted Episodes
    The Mona Lisa's Sister
    Acid Bubblegum
    Another Grey Area
    The Real Macaw
    The Up Escalator
    ...for starters.

2. His first studio albums are essential. His debut and even the much maligned second album are pretty terrific as well.

3. The Rumor albums are all good to very good.

4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you reverse the first two-thirds of your response it makes for a funny trivia question/answer.

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

The earliest albums are Graham at his most fiery, pub rock, angry young man - the Rhino comp is a very good overview in that if you like bulk of the first disc, you can't go wrong picking up the first handful of albums. Moreover, each of the albums has very good to great deep cuts.

For instance, maybe my favorite ballad of Graham's is "between you and me" off his first album. It's a kiss off song but it's bittersweet and wistful which is not a well he mined too often.

For mid-period Graham, the big winners are Mona Lisa's Sister and 12 Haunted Episodes. These two are no brainers I would think especially if you love Struck By Lightning.

Alive! Alone in America is a good solo acoustic outing and there are a couple tracks on that that are not available elsewhere -

6. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Wow. Not sure how I missed this thread. I really like GP. Wonderful songwriting and performing...and easy to collect. Most of his records are easy to find (especially promos), and are cheap.

I was initially attracted by the similarity to Joe Jackson, but moved beyond that in a hurry.

Great artist.

7. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Which one is the maligned second album? Because Heat Treatment seems to be held in fairly high regard, at least here on this board.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  8. strummer101

I think the maligned one is his third, Stick to Me. Good record, though.

fenderesq, dee, Sandinista and 2 others like this.
  9. Sorry--it is the much maligned third album (I got my albums mixed up) which had to be re-recorded because, after the album was completed, the master and multi-tracks began shedding oxide like crazy making it unusable. A pity. Parker had to go back with the band and quickly re-record it with Nick Lowe. The second album is one that Parker doesn't care for all that much because of Robert "Mutt" Lange's approach to recording the album--it was overdub city something that Parker felt robbed the material of much of its power so a different situation entirely but Parker didn't like the working process with Mutt and disliked the re-recording (compared to the original recordings) of the third although, lately, he has taken to the third album because he feels the grungy production compliments the material but that opinion didn't occur until the last decade or so.

dee likes this.
  10. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

I actually love the songs on Stick to Me that are on the Rhino compilation, so maybe I'll get that one next. Maligned or not I actually seem to like them better than those that came before, but my music tastes all come out of punk/new wave (again, I highly regard Squeezing Out Sparks) so that's probably why.
    I've never been a fan of Mutt Lange or anything he touches. And in fact with thousands of albums in my collection, I own nothing that he's produced, believe it or not. But the songs I've heard from Heat Treatment sound okay to me. Slickness in the mid-70s doesn't bother me as much as it does in the 80s and beyond.

11. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

heat treatment is my personal fave, which is why I recommended you listen to that next.. but howlin wind is a must have as it is a great debut.. I also love struck by lightning as you mentioned, you may also like the mona lisa's sister which I think is a very cool record and a different sound for GP. I'm also a fan of his live album, Live! Alone in America, 1989
    I got back into vinyl this year and am enjoying collecting a lot of GP I was missing on record, he can be found for a reasonable cost and he is terrific ...
    happy listening!

dee likes this.
  12. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Saw them in Chicago in 1977 at uptown theater opening for thin lizzy. Both bands were great and very loud. The horns played on thin lizzy song "dancing in the moonlight ". A fan ever since.

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Both HOWLIN' WIND and HEAT TREATMENT received five-star reviews in the first (red) Rolling Stone Record Guide. That's how I first took notice of Parker.

The somewhat lesser reputation of HEAT TREATMENT seems to spring from Parker himself, who disliked Mutt Lange's perfectionist building block recording technique.

As an odd aside, I believe Parker admitted the high harmonies on HEAT TREATMENT must have been sung by Lange after hours, because no one in the band could have performed them!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    wayneklein likes this.
  14. Coco Laboy

Coco Laboy Forum Resident

The Michael Gramaglia doc “Don’t Ask Me Questions” is a must watch for GP fans.

Mr. D and Mike6565 like this.
  15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

If you like Struck By Lightning, you might want to go forward rather than backward in his catalog. I’d recommend Deep Cut To Nowhere and Don’t Tell Columbus as latter day highlights.

RTW and strummer101 like this.
  16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Stick To Me is actually my favorite of the first three (a minority opinion for sure), so I’d say go right ahead :righton:

17. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Just saw the movie "This Is 40" and Graham Parker is trying to stay relevant - lol.

18. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

His 70s work was pretty awesome, love Howlin Wind, Heat Treatment, and Squeezing Out Sparks. Any fan of early Bruce or Van should check 'em out.

19. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Squeezing Out Sparks is his masterpiece, but Stick to Me was the 1st album of his that I bought.....came with a sheet of stickers as well! So that one holds a special place for me. Saw them open up for Cheap Trick when Sparks was released (1979) and they were a smoking live band.

dee likes this.
  20. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

So I'm guessing you don't listen to a lot of Def Leppard :)

21. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Squeezing Out Sparks is GP's masterpiece, the culmination of his great early album run. If it wasn't for London Calling it would probably be my favorite record from 1979.

These early albums were well recorded too and sound excellent on vinyl (e.g. Howlin' Wind mastered by Gilbert Kong, Stick to Me mastered by Bob Ludwig). Find 'em in the $4.99 bins!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    ramdom and SquaRoots like this.
  22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

The first track from their first studio album Howlin Wind:

"White Honey" - Graham Parker & The Rumour, 1976.

23. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Hep Alien, SquaRoots and Marc Perman like this.
  24. strummer101

I'm not liking the new cover design. Great record, though!

25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Finally an artist who managed to have pretty poor cover design for all the work he produced in his career succeeds. In completely ruining one of them that wasn't so bad. :(:shrug:

Jerryb and SteveFff like this.