An appreciation of "That Thing You Do!"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of my most favorite movies! I enjoyed the extended cut best...Tom nailed it!

905 likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's very true -- way too much gating on the drums. Drums never sounded this good in the 1960s -- they're much too polished and BIG, sort of that late 1980s/1990s sound. But the melody and vocals of the title tune are actually pretty close to being authentic, sounding to me like a clone of “There's a Place” with the arrangement of The Knickerbockers' “Lies.”

Upsiditus likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It really is a delightful little movie. Because of my age, I don't know if the film accurately captures its era, but it definitely captures the pop culture "idea" of that period.

I love much of the film, but I especially adore the scene in which all the characters first hear their song on the radio. It's staged so well and offers so much natural joy!

As for the Extended Cut, it's cool to see as a curiosity but I don't think it works as a film. Like the title song, "TTYD!" needs to be quick and bubbly - almost two and a half hours of the story just means it drags:

http://www.dvdmg.com/thatthingyoudodc.shtml

4. Michael

they nailed it with the Title song...borrowed from here and there and made a classic! Love the song!

Charlie Z., Comet01 and CusBlues like this.
  5. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I've said it before in one of the other threads on this film, but I've always felt
    "Dance With Me Tonight" is a way better song than TTYD. If "Dance" had come
    out in 1965, it would easily have been a Top 10 single (I was 15 in 1965, and I would
    have immediately bought the 45).

6. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Never recall seeing Rita Wilson(Mrs. Tom Hanks) before. Thought she was very attractive in this role.

I enjoyed seeing THE WONDERS' or THE ONEDERS' premier on network TV. I would imagine that Guy's family's reaction would be pretty typical in that situation.

905, Atmospheric and CusBlues like this.
  7. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Says it all for me ...:righton:

heatherly and CusBlues like this.
  8. Remurmur

Yes indeed. Me too.

I would have sprinted to her car to hold open the door for her ...:)

CusBlues and spanky1 like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My favorite part of the film was where the guy first hears the song on the radio and runs into the shop full of joy and turns on all the radios. Brings tears to my eyes every time.

Upsiditus, Comet01, BZync and 4 others like this.
  10. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

If the Blu-ray gets the full everything-but-the-kitchen-sink I hope they can give us the promised-yet-undelivered commentary track.

Upsiditus and CusBlues like this.
  11. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

And sung by Mike Viola, AKA the man who essentially was the Candy Butchers. With that pedigree, the song couldn't help but be catchy.

telliott and CusBlues like this.
  12. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Veering slightly off topic, she's pretty terrific in the Bob Crane biopic 'Autofocus'. She's also on CBS' 'The Good Wife' but they have yet to hand her any memorable dialog there.

CusBlues likes this.
  13. Michael

also played Arnold's wife in Jingle All The Way...

Scopitone, heatherly and CusBlues like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Hmm... where have I heard that statement before? :shh:

Upsiditus, CusBlues and Atmospheric like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just shows how powerful that segment is for me. I've posted this in the past.

CusBlues likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Her career began at age 16, on The Brady Bunch. Her filmography : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001854/?ref_=nv_sr_1

CusBlues likes this.
  17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

One of my favorite movies of all time!

CusBlues, Atmospheric and Grant like this.
  18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Love the movie. Love the soundtrack. An obvious labor of love for TH.

I guess I am in the minority regarding the overall sound. I think the scene in Philadelphia where the band falls apart really captures the way loud clean rock and roll sounded on those old wood stages. It took me right back to Junior High and High School dances in the gymnasium.

I love the soundtrack, even if the drums are recorded with a more modern sensibility. To me it sounds really musical. I wish I could have some of the real '60s music recorded that well.

And yeah... that scene in the jazz club with Del. "Bands come and go, you got to just keep playing." No truer words were ever spoken about the music biz.

smokeverbs, Comet01 and CusBlues like this.
  19. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I have always liked this movie.
    I have a good friend (a woman) who absolutely hated the movie because she says that it casts Faye's role as only a girlfriend. She is there just as arm candy for Jimmy, and ultimately hooks up with Shades. I've never understood my friend's position, because the story was about the band and in fact there were girlfriends in bands back then. In reality, the movie could have delved into the seedier side of things with groupies, etc. which thankfully it didn't. Well...Lenny did have his fling/wedding!
    Anyway, I love the movie, but just wanted to present another perspective (and one I don't agree with).

CusBlues likes this.
  20. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's so many great scenes in the movie, but a couple that stand out for me are-

1- In the beginning, when the original drummer is screwing around on the parking meter and breaks his arm. The Bass Player simply says, "Hey Guys? Chad fell down."
    2- On the plane after the band meeting, and Lenny is annoying Mr. White with his candy wrapper. White says to him, "Lenny, go ask if you can see the cockpit. Tell 'em it's your birthday!".

I know that they are fairly minor moments, but they crack me up every time I see them!

21. Remurmur

Same here...:)

My favorite scene is at the jazz club when Del Paxton decides to give Guy some advice based on his years of experience as a musician.

You can tell that Del likes Guy and perhaps even sees him as a younger version of himself when he first started performing. His last words to Guy before leaving " You keep on playin', and you watch your money. You'll land on your feet" is still great advice to anyone who wants to be a professional musician.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  22. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

The Bass Player did pretty good too (in the extended cut)

905, Remurmur, Upsiditus and 2 others like this.
  23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Don't have the Ex. Cut version.
    Did he ever say his name to the girl?
    Or do we still only know him as T.B. Player?

sloaches likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

I first mentioned the radio segment in my 2001 review, which predates the SHF so I WIN!!!! :pineapple: :D

sloaches likes this.
  25. Michael

yes, she was adorable in this...

sloaches likes this.