An appreciation of "That Thing You Do!"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 25, 2014.

1. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

"You are my biggest fan."

2. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Del: "Uh...thanks ..." ;) :)

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that there's way, way too much bass for the title track to be a real 1964 record. And the snare drum sound has some gated-compression that didn't become a thing until more than a decade later. But from the standpoint of melody and lyrics, it's really good and could've actually become a bona fide hit in the 1960s.

I'm told that Tom Hanks was really crushed by the failure of this film, and you can see he devoted a lot of time, thought, and love to the story and production. I think the two central problems with it are a) a big audience doesn't give a crap about the artists of the 1960s [particularly a fake group], and b) the ending is a bit of a downer and kinda leaves the viewer a bit jaded and cynical about how grim things were for most one-hit wonder groups.

There are a few exceptions where 1960s/1970s musical biographies did well: Ray, Walk the Line, and Dreamgirls are three good examples. I swear to god, if I win De Lotto, I'm gonna make that film on the life of Roy Orbison, even if it kills me. Done right, it could be a hit.

BobbyG, Exotiki, PhilBorder and 6 others like this.
  4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

These babies pop up on occasion:

[​IMG]

5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I remember seeing this 45 at Tower Records back in 1996 (I think with a pic sleeve) and I was very disappointed to see that "All My Only Dreams" was not the B-side. I think instead it was "Voyage Round The Moon." Maybe it's supposed to represent a reissue "oldies 45" from the 1970s or 1980s?

Upsiditus and CusBlues like this.
  6. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I've never looked into the box office numbers for That Thing You Do!. In fact, I never went to see it at the theater but only caught it a couple of years later, via VHS tape. I now also own the DVD, Directors Cut DVD and Blu-Ray releases. Wish I'd have gone to see it when it came out.

The movie still turns up on TV quite a bit. I think it's Audience that's been showing it recently.

It scored a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, even if it wasn't a smash hit.

7. MarkTheShark

I saw it in a theatre, but by the time I did, it had hit the cheap theatres. One of my favorite movies.

8. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Glad to see there's a thread about this movie that's still open. I love this movie but never got the 2 DVD director's cut. I just got the blu ray and I'm looking forward to watching the director's cut. Anyone who hasn't seen it, it's only 10 bucks at Amazon and Walmart.

I just watched the bonus features, which are nice but I was disappointed that there's no indication anywhere (except the credits) that the actors didn't play and sing everything you hear. I'm a HUGE fan of Mike Viola and the Candy Butchers. Are there any bonus features on the DVD set that aren't on the blu ray? A commentary track would have been nice.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Jamey K, sethICE, Jeff Minn and 3 others like this.
  9. MarkTheShark

I was actually confused about this back then. There was an HBO special about the movie hosted by Martha Quinn of MTV which later ended up as a DVD extra. In it, she talks about how the band members had to learn the songs and learn to actually play for the movie. But they never mentioned that it's not their playing that we're hearing on the soundtrack.

I have the original DVD and the director's cut DVD. IIRC there is one bonus feature (I don't remember what it is) on the original DVD which did not carry over to the director's cut version. I don't have the Blu-Ray so I can't speak to what is or isn't on it. But if it's $10, maybe I'll pick it up.

(Although that would set a dangerous precedent for me. I went about replacing stuff on VHS with DVDs -- do I really need to open that can of worms again? I'm just this side of "hoarder" status now!) ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  10. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I thought this movie was a nice tribute to 60s music

dewey02 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I love this movie. Saw it in the theatre when it opened and I love the DC as well. Way more Charlize Theron for one thing and that's great.
    The father reminds me of Herbert T. Gillis, Dobie's father. If you're too young to get that reference, look it up.
    Who is Diane Dane supposed to be? I'm thinking maybe Jackie DeShannon? I'm trying to think of what other blonde early 60s singer the character could represent. Maybe Bernadette Carroll? I don't know. What do you guys think?
    I realize why the movie didn't do well. I guess you either had to be there or else just love the era.

spanky1 likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That too. And Liv Tyler.

13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I never saw it in the theater, but caught it when it hit cable. I really liked it and watched it multiple times. Great sets and a fascinating case study of a one-hit wonder band. Mostly, the differing agendas of each member- no surprise that the SOB is the one who is most serious and ultimately the only one who has a successful career in music. Not to mention one guy leaves for the military, another thinks it all a lark, and the drummer is more concerned with procuring Liv Tyler than hitting it big and thus having access to dozens of Liv Tylers.

I think you would have to understand that is what Hanks was portraying and most people have little interest in really examining music (How else does a group like Foreigner soldier on with no original members?). I also like period pieces and whether it was Erie or LA, they got it right.

Upsiditus likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Actually the drummer could be considered the only one who was really in it for the music. According to Wikipedia:

Guy and Faye married and raised a family in Venice, California, then moved to Bainbridge Island in Washington, where Guy teaches jazz composition at a music conservatory that he and Faye founded.​

So he didn't become a producer like Jimmy did, but Guy did dedicate his life to music (and making a family with Faye.) Sounds pretty sweet to me.

15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Fair enough. I was thinking more of the limelight, but marrying Liv and founding a music conservatory ain't a bad outcome.

16. Chris DeVoe

Teaching "Jazz Composition" isn't a path to riches, but Guy's most joyous moments seemed to be all about either making music, or being with Faye - while Jimmy seemed to be a miserable jerk no matter how well things were going.

I'd rather have Guy's life than Jimmy's.

Upsiditus, BobbyG, Charlie Z. and 6 others like this.
  17. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

So did Faye.

18. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Spoken like a true jazz legend. :)

19. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

The transister radios were gifts from Guy from Pattersons appliance store

20. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Like many here I love this film and I finally bought the Blu Ray last week. Popped it in today and wow, it looks awful! Blurry picture quality, lots of noise.

This might be the worst looking BD in my collection. I seems like a legitimate, normal, non-bootleg disc. What happened? If anyone else here owns the Blu Ray version, care to comment?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. TTYD fan

TTYD fan Active Member

It does look awful. It's the transfer they went with. Really hoping for a 25th anniversiary re-release next year.

My question to you guys: does anyone know what movie Guy and Tina have on at his apartment in the beginning of the extended version?

geo50000 likes this.
  22. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I...am...Spartacus!

SoCalWJS likes this.
  23. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

How about Dusty Springfield perhaps?

geo50000 likes this.
  24. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Patti Page?

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you overstate how bad it looks.

It's no visual showcase, and it's got issues, but it's not a terrible looking BD. I've seen many, many worse!

That Thing You Do!: Tom Hanks' Extended Cut [Blu-Ray] (1996)