An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

And were they successful, as a result?

By that time? Probably not but that doesn't mean they didn't want to sell records.

Imagine if Sgt Pepper was a 39 minute long version of "Revolution 9", versus what ended up being released.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I notice that a lot of people on this forum always express a love for a first album while ignoring the subsequent ones. The truth is, like you said, it sometimes takes two or three albums for an artist to find their voice. Most artists don't come out with their best on the outset.

bob60 and Aftermath like this.
  3. Grant

I am one of those people who have two first or two last names. People always want to switch them around and it's annoying. "Kendrick Lamar" may not roll off the tongue as easily, but it is what it is.

Chris Schoen and John54 like this.
  4. Grant

But, what wound up being on the radio made music what it was during a given time. So, you can judge music by a local radio playlist.

Also, remember that when MTV started out, it had a very limited number of videos, and then they further narrowed that available list to a certain kind of music to appeal to a certain audience until artists started calling them on it. They were scared to diversify until they were forced by coercion.

5. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

To be fair, I've seen more under-30 ABBA fans than Eagles fans. If they love pop music, ABBA is basically ground zero for a lot of the stuff they love today (take it as good or bad). I've actually run into more young ABBA/Bee Gees fans than Beatles fans, namely ones who love pop music and consider those artists "as old as we will go".

Jrr and bob60 like this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Are you serious?!

There is absolutely tons and I do mean tons of music from back in the day that means something to people all around the world that had absolutely nothing to do with a particular target audience!

An example, all those freedom songs from the Civil Rights movement. Those songs mean and meant something to people all over the world!

broshfab4 likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ummm, with all do respect, no; you can judge popular music by a local radio playlist. But you cannot, for instance, trace Brian Eno's dallience with ambient music to A Flock of Seagulls. Or, Paul Simon's world music to Toto's "Africa".

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm sure that's very true.

Not sure what does that have to do with new music threads.

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, seriously, 50 I love from any year would be a piece of cake (well, except for the current year and maybe the last couple years, simply because it takes me a while to fill out the most recent years because of the systematic way that I collect stuff . . . but I'd have at least 50 I love from 2016 by 2020, say).

Heck, for 1992, for example, if I look at the rym top 1000, there are five I love just in their top 10.

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Did you read the quote that was posted?

It was in answer to a question on this thread.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yep.

Quite a few of your posts actually, and replied back once before. Still not sure what any of this has to do with new music threads.

12. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

*pokes head in*

*reads two pages worth of comments*

*removes head*

eddiel and Gary like this.
  13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

idk I grew up in the 80s and 90s and still think the 50s,60s and especially the 70s were the best.

I'm not too old ..37

MsMaclen, 389 Tripower and broshfab4 like this.
  14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Someone asked me a question, and I was just answering.

All conversations go in different directions, that's the nature of conversation.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Got it.

I'll remember that the next time I'm in a Macca thread and I start replying about my thoughts on how much I love PB&J sandwiches.

Diamond Dog and Synthfreek like this.
  16. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I scored this at Half Price Books tonight:

[​IMG]

Released in 1971. I have known of Barclay James Harvest since the early 1970's, yet have never heard any of their material until tonight. I got about halfway through the original album (none of the bonus tracks), and I LOVE this cd.

Morals of the story:

1-It was released in 1977, so it is vintage.
    2-It is new to me as of an hour and a half ago, so it is new.
    3-I was searching for some new music (perhaps better term is unfamiliar vs. new). Plowing new ground, musically.
    4-This experience prompts me to search more of their output, and other artists like them. (Strawbs sounds similar, and have been a major-league Strawbs fan since 1973).
    5-I am over 60 years of age, with good (not perfect, tho) hearing, and a full head of hair.

It's really fun to invest in something new, musically, that hits a home run.

GT

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Jrr likes this.
  17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Hey, if that's the way your conversation goes, feel free.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That's because Van Morrison is one of the last musicians one would normally think of when referencing great albums from the early 90s.

Bowieboy likes this.
  19. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I ride hard for Days Like This, which I think was from 1995

20. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

It can also happen that the artist has years to prepare for a first album while getting their career started (playing clubs etc.) and as a result, the first album has a lot of strong songs. Then, subsequent albums are not as good because they are rushed, for whatever reasons.

MsMaclen likes this.
  21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Let me rephrase...if someone is complaining about no good music from the early 90s and they only give dinosaurs as examples of the few good things there was then they have given up.

Django likes this.
  22. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Well that's a pretty neat trick, I must say.... Thanks for stopping by, Ichabod !

D.D.

Gaslight, bumbletort and Cherrycherry like this.
  23. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

1990 - didn't Midnight Oil "Blue Sky Mine" come out that year? I thought that was pretty good.

24. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

If my class is filled with a bunch of apathy-filled no-talent students, is the best of those kids now considered a genius? Music artistry isn't a bell curve exam.

bumbletort likes this.
  25. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Is talking about Mozart lunacy? Is talking about the Mona Lisa lunacy? Is talking about Citizen Kane lunacy?? The classics are classics for a reason and I would bet that many of the so-called "oldies" being berated in this thread will long outlast the here today / gone tomorrow items.

MsMaclen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.