An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Start a thread about it, or find one that is open and contribute to it. Simple!

That said, I do laugh sometimes when on page one of the "NEW POSTS" listings I see something like this in the first few listed:
    Band on the Run
    Band of Gypsies
    Monkees
    Giant Steps
    Best Macca album?
    Which Beatles Albums Sound Least Dated?

.crystalised. and Sneaky Pete like this.
  2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I consider that one of the most interesting things about our hobby.

MsMaclen and andybeau like this.
  3. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

The demographics of this forum skew much older than the typical music discussion outlets on the web through reddit, etc. I think it has less to do with audiophilia than it does to people simply being more out of touch with the newer scenes. There certainly isn't a shortage of great new releases and great sounding newer releases.

4. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I agree, but what does that say about the current generation and the popular music of today.
    I don't see much passion. It is just a catchy tune to play on your phone.
    Nothing wrong with that, it is just different than the boomer generation that hung on every note and explored the music of our time.
    I don't think anyone is looking at who produced the album, what musicians played on it, where it was recorded, etc.
    All the things that prompt discussion are missing these days.
    Nothing stopping this generation from joining the forum and starting threads.

5. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I think it's hard to discuss matrix numbers from a Big Sean iTunes stream.

mozz and majorlance like this.
  6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Steve, you have mastered that message wrong. Digital clipping?

7. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Kiss is better than Motley Crüe which is better than Poison which is better than Warrant which is Better Than Ezra.

shirleyujest, Sean, 24voltsdc and 4 others like this.
  8. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

wqerj;wt3; pqwioujr; wqrk j32

I think its one of those encrypted codes that North Korea likes to broadcast.

SixtiesGuy, Sean and mick_sh like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Maybe that applies to a lot of the most popular music of today but there are a lot of interesting acts out there. Last night I watched the Jools Holland Show on BBC2 featuring:
    Kasabian
    Goldfrapp
    Thundercat
    Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals
    Spoon
    Courtney Marie Andrews

...and they were all very good. Not that I'll be buying anything by them though - however Thundercat was quite fascinating with his huge 6-string bass:

Mal, davers, CrazyCatz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

This was pretty good also from Goldfrapp:

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's more a reflection of the demographics on this forum, not music fandom in general.

Two examples I can think of : there's a pop music forum that is to modern pop music like this forum is to classic rock (and perhaps even more extreme) - very active user base there. Another recent example was the discussion I had seen on Reddit yesterday about the new Kendrick Lamar album. Major item on note there...not so much here.

I'm old, so I lurk in many of the classic rock threads and it probably keeps me a bit grounded. But I enjoy the contemporary music threads also.

12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Good suggestion. I have done both.

Mike McMann and MLutthans like this.
  13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

My friend, you're ON the oldies forum. Mwahahaha!

Seriously though these forums skew to an older demo, so older music tends to get the most traffic. It is what it is.

14. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

If I get a reliable recommendation that the new Kendrick Lamar album is mastered reasonably and it sounds beautiful, I'll buy it. Since it's more likely compressed and EQd to the extreme, I probably won't buy it and won't want to discuss it.

mozz likes this.
  15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

I'm always happy to talk about oldies (shoot, at 65 I might be considered an "oldie!) so again, not trying to agitate here. Just hoping to see a bit more talk about contemporary music.

My frustration here is minimal. What's more mildly vexing is being around my peers where I live. If I get excited about a band that is from even the 80 and on (Dinosaur Jr, Boris, Carlton Melton, Earthless, etc., etc.) my peers give me this blank look and say, "Huh?", as if music had stopped being made in 1972!

16. Django

Django Forum Resident

And the audiophile thing appeals to mostly older music fans, its another avenue of interest within music.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's where you and I differ a bit. I would want to know about the dynamics, but generally I can see past that if the music is good.

Plus I can fix CD's (somewhat) if I had to.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Demographics.

I think young people have their own forums which are more geared to their tastes.

on7green and eric777 like this.
  19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

This question/complaint/observation of the Forum Threads Topics pops up now and then.
    Ironically, if it was a constant major concern and issue amongst all the SHF members, with many replies, then this thread would linger on the first page of the forum!

Pointing out the obvious, that's how the Thread Forums work.

Without doubt, the member's main interests gravitate towards certain bands and topics; that's why those threads are thriving. No one can impose nor control what's of interest to others. We like what we like.

What's wonderful about this Forum, is any member can create any Thread Topic they desire (following Forums rules), and test the waters themselves.

General to Obscure. Popular to Esoteric. Classic Rock to ambient punk EDM. Beatles to symphonic Shaggs.

ParloFax likes this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Music had a serious impact back in the day, it meant something to people and to the world!

Songs Like ...
    Everyday people
    Imagine
    Say It Loud I'm Black And I'm Proud
    What's Going On
    Ball Of Confusion

These are just a very few of the type music made back in the day, music meant more!

Also back in the day, you had to have talent, you had to know your instrument, for the most part you had to really be able to sing.

The music scene was way way way better, as far as the acts and the music!

Hardy Melville and Sean like this.
  21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Young people don't use forums to discuss things.

Fox67 and keef00 like this.
  22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Have you tried calling Geek Squad?

starduster likes this.
  23. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

actually if you mean the music under discussion then hell yeah you can. If you mean the discussions yeah then take your pick leave the rest. It's all groovy!

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not just Boomers, I get the same from most GenX'ers I know.

They'll listen to iHeartRadio, either the Classic rock ones or the Adult Contemporary stuff where the same tracks are played over and over and over. I don't get it.

eric777 and Brian Lux like this.
  25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There are great recordings being made today just hard to find them. The big media push for Katy Perry, the kid with the new daft hairdo or whoever tends to obscure a lot of that. I like to hear about new music being made by The Higher State or Temples or Paul Messis but people slam that as a throwback (while we have now had 25-30 years of gangsta rap). Autotune abuse has a lot to do with people who love and know music tending to want the kind of real musicianship and quality of recording that ruled in the past, and there is a vast quantity of past glories to dig for decades and never hear half of it.

SixtiesGuy and Brian Lux like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.