An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I actually like Summer in Paradise on the other hand. Late career albums are often some of my favorites in a given year (not that Summer in Paradise is high on any favorites list, but I do like it). I'm not at all someone who tends to think that only an artist's early material is good. My lists are usually a combo of newer artists for the year in question and albums from artists who have been around a while. I'm not at all someone who tends to think that only an artist's early material is good.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

If you could switch them around would you? If people are always wanting to switch them around, they must sound better that way.
    Not hard to do these days. May be better to choose an entirely different name. :laugh::sigh:

3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

YouTubes a great place to discover new or old music.

MaxxMaxx4 and John54 like this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I asked about Indie artists you know, as that was the topic earlier.

As for Dylan, I would think that by the time he started making commercials that money was on his mind. Not that I see a problem with that myself.

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's also an indication of how perception has changed. When Phil Collins, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood (3 artists who shouldn't have been hurting for cash during the mid 80's) lent their songs, and appeared in Michelob commercials, it was considered an outrage.

Grant likes this.
  6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If nothing else, the mental image of JeatlePyle listening to McCarthy is hilarious enough to make this thread worthwhile.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I went to see Mary J. Blige perform tonight and at one point she said to the audience:

"There has been a lot of great music from all different eras, but to me, nothing will ever top the music of the 90's"

and the crowd let out a huge cheer. I think that whatever music was popular during your teenage years is the music that you will always hold dearest and feel is best, and no argument can convince you otherwise. Just human nature, it seems.

8. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

The first point you make is fair comment and again, I suspect that I am in the same age demographic as the likely majority here so I likely got some of that tar on myself painting with such a broad brush. It's indisputable however that there is an extremely vocal segment of that demographic that is utterly convinced that their generational musical totem is so potent that it stopped wars, ended famine, unified all divisions and pacified all quarrels in a way that no other music could have and as such, all should worship it and all else is unworthy. And they are very fond of making florid statements about how the music of their generation "changed the world".

Two thoughts:
    a) Since all the ills that were supposedly cured by this ultra-powerful miracle music still exist and flourish, such statements are risible. Full stop. It's a massive overstatement and a grotesque romanticization that does a huge disservice to the people who had real skin in that game and laid themselves on the line to try to effect real change. Music was simply the soundtrack to all that actual effort. No one laid down a rifle in the midst of a battle because All You Need Is Love came on the radio. Let's get real here. And keep it real.

b) The self-serving notion that the music of one's own generation alone has the power to touch people of all ages and therefore should be the logical preference of future generations is a fantasy fueled by nostalgia and narcisism. It's naive and its disrespectful. One can enjoy the music of one's youth without acting on the compulsion to evangelize endlessly and denigrate the music others enjoy. I really don't understand why some here have to relentlessly devalue the music that was made after they drove their generational flag pole into the sand. If it is the timeless classic music they constantly proclaim it to be, you don't need to bother. It will stand on its own merits.
    Won't it ?

D.D.

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Absolutely agree. I do think, though, that such "evangelism" on this forum has dropped considerably. A number of the usual suspects have disappeared from the forum, while other fervent evangelists seem, to me, to have toned down their fervor.

Or maybe I'm just staying away from those threads! :D

dustybooks likes this.
  10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I knew someone from high school whose name was Lamar, and that was not yesterday.

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I immediately thought of "Reading Rainbow", but his name was LeVar.

[​IMG]

12. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Spot on.

"It will stand on its own merits.
    Won't it ?"

Indeed.

Case in point:

Clear Light, High On Mount Rushmore, The Peanut Butter Conspiracy, Sons of Champlain, Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Blue Cheer, Beau Brummels, The Charlatans, P.J. Proby, The Hullaballoos, The Merseybeats, Swinging Blue Jeans, The Applejacks, The Nashville Teens, The Honeycombs ....thousands others.

The public at lage remember those bands? How often are they played on radio, even on "classic rock oldies" stations? Who will remember them 50 years from now?
    The Groovy '60s weren't just the Fab Four.

13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

This is a good point and I think maybe true for the majority of music fans, although, that said, I'd have to place myself int the minority that way. In my teens it was 60's music but it didn't stop there for me- not in the least.

14. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I don't really feel that way about the music of my teenage years, but then that was the mid 80s.

MsMaclen and Andrew J like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Nope. I like it the way it is.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ok, so its settled, lets create an oldies forum and leave the rest of the joint for only new music discussion, that should work out

17. Grant

First of all, She was born in 1971 which means that she was in her twenties during the 90s. Also, the nineties was when she launched her recording career. So, your assertion cannot be true.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was actually referring to the audience response to her comments. It's generally the case that the artists that are popular with teenagers are 5-10 years older than they are. Like the Beatles were popular with teenagers in 1964, but they themselves were in their 20's.

19. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

Now I understand. :)

20. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Yes, most of the music discussions center around Dad Rock.

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

What's to discuss? The forum members get to pick the topics they want to talk about -- within the rules of course. So, people start threads on topics of interest, and the music topics that tend to gain the most traction around here relate to classic rock, presumably reflecting the interests of the majority of members. It's not that there's no discussion of other stuff, I see there's a Best New Albums of 2017 thread going, one about the new Kendrick Lamar record, etc but they're just of minority interest (and in my years here, though things have always been classic rock centric, my impression is that things do seem to have tilted even more in that direction).

You know, if you want to talk about contemporary music, start a discussion about some piece of contemporary music. You probably find some people who want to talk about it, even it is not a Beatles-thread level interest. You have a better chance of actually discussion contemporary music by starting that thread then by starting a thread about how no one here discusses contemporary music.

22. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I don't see the word indie in your question. Dylan might have made a commercial but this doesn't mean that every song he wrote was targeted product.

23. Grant

I guess a lot of we SH'ers are outliers. Many of us love music from birth! I was a teenager in the 70s, and I love the music because it was all so eclectic, but I can never say that any era was the best. When I do listen to music, the 70s music is what I pick 80% of the time.

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

No, the oldies are here, now, and to stay forevermore. People want new stuff just have to deal with it. :winkgrin:

25. Django

Django Forum Resident

Totally agree. People writing off whole decades must have a very limited taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.