An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Here are 51 to get you started:

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
    Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
    The Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray
    PJ Harvey - Dry
    R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
    Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies
    Ween - Pure Guava
    Sheila Chandra - Weaving My Ancestors' Voices
    Neil Young - Harvest Moon
    Kyuss - Blues For the Red Sun

The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion
    Jawbreaker - Bivouac
    Michael Brook - Cobalt Blue
    David Parsons - Dorje Ling
    Trouble - Manic Frustration
    Monster Magnet - Spine Of God
    Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Danzig - III: How The Gods Kill
    Skinny Puppy - Last Rights

Steroid Maximus - Gondwanaland
    Nine Inch Nails - Broken & Fixed
    The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
    Saigon Kick - The Lizard
    Tom Verlaine - Warm And Cool
    Alice In Chains - Dirt
    Melvins - Lysol, Eggnog and all the solo EPs
    Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion
    Swans - Love Of Life
    The Cure - Wish

The Prodigy - The Prodigy Experience
    Orbital - Orbital II
    Brian Eno - The Shutov Assembly
    Coil - Stolen & Contaminated Songs
    Cabaret Voltaire - Plasticity
    Polygon Window/Aphex Twin - Surfing On Sine Waves
    Henryk Gorecki - Symphony No. 3
    Balanescu Quartet - Possessed
    Thomas Koner - Teimo
    The Orb - UFOrb

Steve Roach & Robert Rich - Soma
    Steve Roach - World's Edge
    Lustmord - The Monstrous Soul
    Lull - Dreamt About Dreaming
    Laraaji - Flow Goes The Universe
    Curve - Doppelganger
    Earth - Earth 2
    The Flaming Lips - Hit To Death In The Future Head
    Lush - Spooky
    The Jesus Lizard - Liar
    Shudder To Think - Get Your Goat

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

REM - Automatic for the People
    Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    George Harrison - Live in Japan
    10,000 Maniacs - Our Time in Eden
    Pearl Jam - Ten

Those are five that I actually do love. I agree that 1992 wasn't the strongest year for new releases, because everyone was still listening to tracks from Nevermind, Achtung Baby, Use Your Illusion I/II and Metallica's black album from 1991. I almost love Springsteen's Human Touch/Lucky Town, but not quite.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There was a recent poster who epitomized this in the KISS thread, as far as devaluing music.

This person was upset about file sharing and the devaluation of music, in general, and just the problems in the industry and the hard time musicians have establishing themselves. But then in a followup post they mentioned that the most excitement they are getting from a 2017 release is The Pepper reissue.

So....aren't you part of the perceived problem then? You would think that anyone so concerned about this would be going out of their way to support newer talent and would be praising them in threads to get the word out.

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i'll get right on this. can I substitute this

[​IMG]

for Prodigy? and somewhere Prince is frowning,

strummer101 likes this.
  5. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Which record or records changed the world? The Beatles? Stones? Grateful Dead?
    Name one.
    In the 60s, or for that matter, in the history of recorded music. Name one.
    Name one song that changed the civil rights movement. One song that changed the Vietnam war.

As far as I know, Rosa Parks didn't make any records, nor Martin Luther King Jr...........

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  6. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Maybe a better way to phrase it is "Music changed people back in the day". And really, if it changed people, then doesn't that in turn change the world? I get your drift, though.

jsayers, Grant and audiomixer like this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Context:

I assume you didn't mean Dylan here...you run an Indie web site. If you didn't mean Indie artists, then who were you referring to?

As for Dylan...again context:

You were discussing money. Then Dylan was brought up, so I replied in kind.

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Music influenced people, I think that most could potentially agree on that.

But that doesn't mean music doesn't do the same thing today.

Grant and Diamond Dog like this.
  9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Rage Against The Machine - S/T

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Music motivates the people. You are citing the figures, but change comes from the people.

eddiel likes this.
  11. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

If there's nothing to discuss here why did you write 183 words in response to this thread? Just venting?

Others here have had added some interesting contributions to the discussion. It's in its 22nd page- obviously some here find it worthy of discussion. If you don't like the thread, you might consider not wasting your (and our) time responding to it.

12. John54

John54 Senior Member

I saw her on 60 Minutes and found her music unlistenable.

Your results obviously vary. Fair enough.

broshfab4 likes this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's difficult to appreciate in this Internet age when public attention can be brought to any social or political issue in a matter of seconds. In the early 60's there were 30-minute news shows on three national television broadcasters, and a morning newspaper. In those times, the folk musicians of the early 60's (Baez, Dylan, etc) and Rock musicians of the late 60's played a vital role in creating public awareness and helping to bring about the significant social changes and opposition to "establishment" (embodied by the military industrial complex's role in the Vietnam war) that defined the era.

Jackson Browne discussed this eloquently in his induction speech at the RRHOF earlier this month. He mentioned being a kid in Orange County California seeing Joan Baez marching with Martin Luther King, and being inspired to take individual action.

eddiel, Dante Fontana, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I didn't say she was good, I was just saying that she made the comment about 90's music being the best music and the crowd roaring in agreement. I disagree, but I didn't grow up in the 90's, which was really my point.

John54 likes this.
  15. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Absolutely! The integration of music and cultural change permeated the period, and is part of why it was such a golden age for music. You really had to be there to understand it fully. Absolutely thrilling time to be alive back then and I miss it somewhat. The world today is much different and not necessarily in a good way.

Dante Fontana and Brian Lux like this.
  16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Yes, and well said, drbryant. Everything right on your desk or phone at the click of a button. Yest still, some like Joan Baez are taking advantage of these new means of communication to continue to play that vital role.

I respect that we are to avoid political issues on this forum so I won't post the link but Joan has a new "Nasty" little song that is quite relevant today. And I have a feeling we'll see more like this from a whole new crop of singers and song writers- at least I hope so. Interesting times make for interesting music!

17. Durm

Durm Forum Resident

I agree with your very logical view that "Ohio" and "Eve Of Destruction" had about as much affect on world peace as hastags do today. I'm just hoping that there are fewer people than you think that are so naive as to expect that power from songs. I've never actually seen that particular opinion/delusion expressed here.

Also, my opinion is that the amount of negative comments about "new music" is greatly exaggerated. Those comments exist, which shouldn't be a surprise in this era of keyboard punditry, but can be easily brushed aside, as can comments insulting "dad music." There also seems to be too much willful misunderstanding: saying "I think Revolver is the greatest album ever" often is read as "The Beatles are great and dwarf all new music." Likewise, someone saying Beatles fans should try out the new Dr. Dog might translate that to "this knucklehead thinks Dr. Dog is as good as The Beatles!"

I suspect you're more experienced on this forum so I present my opinions rather tentatively. I'm making my response based mainly on what I haven't seen on this forum, so hardly a good position to dispute your view.

Brian Lux likes this.
  18. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Are you really maintaining that music has a similar role in our culture today post internet and phones with little screens as it did prior?

19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

broshfab4 and Brian Lux like this.
  20. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

With all due respect, have you read this thread ?

D.D.

Durm and Gaslight like this.
  21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

It's just a fact, music was far superior 30-40 years ago. When somebody releases something even close to being as good as Dark Side Of The Moon, Led Zep II, Whos Next, Disraeli Gears, Highway 61 Revisited, Court And Spark etc. in 2017 I will change my mind.

broshfab4 likes this.
  22. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

So now music doesn't change the world, it changes people who then change the world. But only the music that you deem to have that transformative power, correct ? That being the music of your generation, I assume ? So Dylan had the power to mobilize people into action with Masters Of War but no one was moved to act by, say We Are The World or Do They Know It's Christmas ?
    One can only wonder what was the music of Gandhi's mind ? Wasn't Bob Dylan or The Beatles, obviously. What would have been on Rosa Parks' smartphone today ? Maybe Formation.

I'd be interested to hear from you how music changed you fundamentally, @broshfab4 even more so. And I'd be interested in your view on what changes you feel were made by your generation that were inspired by the music of your generation. Not some TV commercial broad-brush blather about"change" like the kind they burp up when they're setting you up for a pitch for AARP or some new wonder drug, though. Tell us about actual, substantive, lasting change that you and your contemporaries achieved after being motivated by "your" music. Illustrate its power for the unconvinced with actual, specific examples instead of vague and nebulous pontifications. Show us your work...

Your argument has the appearance of evolution and that's a sort of progress, I guess. But you've taken the music that in your previous opinion "changed the world" and brought it down to the level of a high school fight song or a drunken caterwaul at a soccer match. A potential source of motivation to move the ball down the field at a football game. Still a "game changer" in a sense, just not quite as big an accomplishment as changing the world, is it ?

D.D.

Andrew J, strummer101, Durm and 2 others like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Ten" was 1991! :)

Grant likes this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Just a tad on the cynical side, eh?!

25. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I think at one time he played for the Lakers. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.