An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Very happy to help push some minds towards new music. I was on a forum years back that was a lot more geared towards a balance of old and new. I'd still be there if it hadn't closed down, to be honest.

If you dig it, you dig it, if you don't, you don't. On here, it gets some responses, and some not.

Brian Lux likes this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

We discuss what we want to, contemporary or otherwise. Whatever…

3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yes. That's very clear after posting here for just a few months. The vast majority of active posters are older--I'm probably at just about the average age of regular users, and I'm in my mid 50s. And very predominantly, the musical tastes displayed on the forum are very conservative (regardless of the niche/era we're talking about), pretty rockist in tenor, and most folks seem to not only not pursue newer music/newer artists very much, but it seems that newer music from favorite artists is often rejected, too. It's not unusual to see talk about someone who started recording in the 1960s, where that person has been active for decades and is still releasing music today, where the board consensus is clearly that their work started going downhill and isn't worth bothering with by the early to mid 70s, say.

Not that my aim is to complain. While my tastes are far broader than the meat 'n' potatoes of the board, I like all of our meat 'n' potatoes artists, too, and on some other boards, our preferred artists are brushed under the rug instead (dismissed as "dad rock" (or "granddad rock") or rejected right along with the rockist ideology in an example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater). There are different balances on different boards. This is the only board I know of where the demographic seems to be this old and where the concentration is so much on these particular artists. That plus the heavy emphasis on positive posts here make this board very worthwhile.

But there's no denying the bias (well, unless we just want to be delusional), and I do have a much broader taste (very non-rockist in flavor) than the board's norm, but I can talk about that other stuff elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    mozz, Mechanical Man, Sean and 6 others like this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Um...that's a solo artist. Sheesh.

5. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

ralphb and Brian Lux like this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

tbh, though, "contemporary" here usually means something like:

[​IMG]

And yeah, I'm exaggerating a bit for comedic effect, but just a bit.

Sean, e.s., Jim B. and 5 others like this.
  7. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

If it's a beautiful sounding album, I'll give it a shot. There is no fixing bad limiting and I really can't get around it. It ruins the entire experience for me.

Also, it seems like new releases of dinosaur bands get worse compression treatment than pop songs.

Vinyl Socks, mozz and beccabear67 like this.
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

This has been posted before (I'm sure!) but Shakespeare prevails:

Tristero, Sean, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

My guess is that there are a lot more threads about "new" music than the op or many on the forum realize. They just don't stay on Page 1 as long.

MsMaclen, Sean, eric777 and 3 others like this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Exactly, see my signature for example :)

I think most of us have just become a little reluctant to make new music threads since there isn't much interest, so instead just tack it on to more popular old threads, and of course there's the big yearly release threads where a lot of it goes. Not good or bad, it's just the way this forum is, though it continues to open up as the membership grows. I don't find there's any shortage of interesting new artists and albums, though.

Django, Andrew J and CrazyCatz like this.
  11. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Personally, I would be very happy to see more new music discuss and to participate. There is a lot of good and interesting new music being made, a lot of which doesn't financially reward the artist and deserves more exposure. Not sure how many people are interested on here though. I don't mean that as a criticism. It is what it is and on other forums there might be avoidance of discussing past music due to demographic etc.

Brian Lux and Terrapin Station like this.
  12. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Original poster -- there are a couple of 2017-oriented threads here that get into new albums by new groups, not things like Blue and Lonesome.

I personally haven't posted much on them because some people there want you to have listened to an entire album before commenting (yours truly got in trouble with some posters there for doing that), I generally only hear whatever tracks my DJ plays (I can't really comment on entire albums unless I buy them, since I don't stream new albums much), but --- despite that issue I have with it --- in general there is some good discussion there.

Brian Lux likes this.
  13. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Better than anything the Beach Boys did aside from Pet Sounds :hide:

14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

That's the "lay of the land" here, taste-wise. There are other places where you may find what you like. Happy Easter! :wave:

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I like it...

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I don't think it's possible for a rock act of the 2010s to measure up to the achievements and significance of the rock acts of the 'golden age'. That's not a criticism of current rock acts: it's just the way it is.

stewedandkeefed and beccabear67 like this.
  17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

True, but once they're down to page 43 they kind of cease to exist.:)

tonyc and Gaslight like this.
  18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

If you want to discuss new music start a thread about specific artist or genres instead of a thread complaining about the current threads.

If you think people here will be unfamiliar with the music include a link to a sample. I listen to WFUV radio all day at work and I hear lots of great new and younger artists. I also carpool with a guy who loves Hip Hop and he turns me on to artists almost every week.

ralphb likes this.
  19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I take your point, I'm always complaining that I can't get what I want on vinyl (secondhand) and I now realise that the record store owners are much younger than me and have different musical tastes, so be it!

JG

Brian Lux likes this.
  20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I've done that quite a few times and I figure if 5 or so people get turned on to the artist I posted, that's cool. I don't expect there to be a huge audience here for Perfume Genius or Blood Orange as the forum is basically rockist in mentality.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.:)

Sneaky Pete and Brian Lux like this.
  21. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Thanks for good discussion here :righton:

and again, sorry for any misunderstanding via my clumsy wording.

:hide:

Andrew J likes this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Think of adults talking on Charlie Brown cartoons. "Waaa waaa, waaa waaa, wa wa wa". Noise. He's just saying he completely tunes out the threads he isn't interested in and the rest might as well be encrypted code.

23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Chris Rock, 2007:
    "Nobody's into being a musician. Everybody's getting their mogul on. You've been so infiltrated by this corporate mentality that all the time you'd spend getting great songs together, you're busy doing nine other things that have nothing to do with art. You know how [expletive deleted] Stevie Wonder's songs would have been if he had to run a [expletive deleted] clothing company and a cologne line?"

mozz, Graham, Sean and 3 others like this.
  24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

There's plenty of talk about newer music here, but it's just a different age today. It's almost a mathematical/statistical phenomenon. The shared experience, even of music you don't especially like, doesn't exist any more. It is much easier for people now to shut out music that they don't like because it is not as omnipresent among the masses as it was in the 70s.

People who were listening to music up until the early 1990s were not so splinted into multiple avenues of entertainment consumption. So naturally, you have many more people gravitating to a thread about older music because it was a more shared experience back then. The percentage of people from that era who know something about any given topic from that time frame is higher because of the deterioration of the shared cultural experience. This is not something that is unique to music listening, but probably most noticeable with music.

25. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

This forum is really a audiofile forum but I highly doubt fans of today's contemporary music are even interested in sound quality. In the future, the term 'audiofile' will fizzle out along with genres from the 60's -80's music.

eric777 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.