An Oldies Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Wow, an answer doesn't get much more vague than that?
    All the music on the current charts is "short attention span music"? What about when your fab4 is on there in a couple weeks when Sgt Peppers is re re re re released? Is that short attention span music too?

Open your ears. You are missing a lot!

Bowieboy and e.s. like this.
  2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In the early days of record collecting guys that collected doo wop and pre war blues looked down their noses at everyone else. Even Rockabilly was seen as 'old junk'. The slow ballad doo wop guys looked down their noses at other doo wop guys who collected uptempo stuff.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The simplest answer is that people are mostly attached to the music of their youthful years. So you just need to know the average age of a group of people to know what music they are generally listening to. Music is not like cars where people mostly want new.

moodyxadi, Sean, on7green and 2 others like this.
  4. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

There should be a new War on Drugs album out this year. I'm excited about that

Sean, Kevin j, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Keep telling yourself that. It's adorable.

D.D.

Sean, e.s., Gaslight and 4 others like this.
  6. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Back then they would say "what the heck is an inter net? A dang blasted fishing that catches fish interally?, Cornputers were the size of rooms, and the popped vacuum tubes like pop corn. lol. Thanks Charles Babbage:D

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm an old guy, 65 in June, but really I've been an old guy since I was in my 30s, when I started to lose interest in current music & became fascinated with recordings from the 30s-50s. That was added to my love for 60s music & I have stayed largely with recordings from those periods since. Most contemporary music doesn't attract me. When something does I will listen & find out things about it, but I'm not likely to go starting threads. For instance: I recently heard Karen Elson & liked what I heard, so if I come across a thread that concerns her, I'll check it out. Still, my over-all retro focus won't change.

moodyxadi and Sneaky Pete like this.
  8. DeadLoss

DeadLoss Well-Known Member

Snap. A Jayne County thread I posted got less than half a dozen responses. There was a really interesting Don Mclean album analysis (posted by someone else), which received virtually zilch attention. Yet post about Bowie sneezing, or Ringo farting, and you're guaranteed pages of the blighters. (As for criticism of the Fab Four, that's a guaranteed thread nuking. Why?)

9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

As others have stated, I think much of it comes from the idea that audiophiles are often older. People in their early 20s today didn't grow up in the age of the vinyl record. A lot of them started listening to music via MP3. By this time, brickwalled music is all they know. For them terms like "fidelity" and "space between the instruments" doesn't really mean anything.

If you started your musical journey in the 1960s, all you really had was vinyl. There really wasn't much else. By the time the 90s came around, they had been listening to music for a long time. Suddenly they pick up a rerelease of The Beatles and something doesn't appear to sound right. It's oppressively louder and much brighter. It no longer has the warmth they grew up with. Now, the music sounds cold and harsh.

The younger generations didn't have this. I have actually heard complaints from younger people that older recordings sound too quiet and thin. They don't realize that those older recordings captured a much better range of sound then the newer ones and they simply don't care.

Of course you are going to find younger people who care about audio quality, but not as many as the older ones. For this reason, more older generations are going to come here more often and discuss what they love.

I sometimes get a little bothered by this sometimes regarding the endless amount of Beatles threads. These threads stay on page one and most of mine sink to the bottom within a day. This is why I rarely post new threads anymore.

At the end of the day it is what it is. Majority rules as it should. If these threads are the ones most people here want then so be it.

This is just my personal opinion and I am well aware that I could be wrong.

pinkrudy, Silken, Sean and 4 others like this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Whitest band ever.

11. I don't have any ruffled feathers, but these forums are about whatever somebody wants to post about. The aforementioned artists are talked about because they are still relevant to many of us. My musical tastes cover pretty much the entire spectrum. These "oldies" artists are the music of our generation for many of us. Though my preferences may be for those "oldies" artists, I am very ecclectic and every so often I will hear a new artists and like their music. Maybe I live in the Beatles and Rolling Stones era, I have discovered new music over the years such as Tori Amos, Bruno Mars, Lady Ga Ga, Volbeat, etc. So, my interest in new music has not gone by the wayside. To each his own.

mozz and Endymion like this.
  12. duggan

duggan Senior Member

"An Oldies Forum", of course it is, thank goodness.

13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well I guess there are plenty of forums were contemporary music is discussed. It happens occasionally here as well.
    Personally I don t mind modern music but actually dwell more in music popularised when I was young and even before that. Guess that s the reason I am a member here. Not having any problem with it either.

14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Sadly I don't think there are forums that have knowledgeable souls AND an open minded attitude to new music from artists that don't qualify for a senior citizen discount.

If anyone knows of one, please do share.

John Adam and Terrapin Station like this.
  15. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Exactly! It's the participants spontaneously generating discussion on subjects relevant to them, rather than everyone grudgingly talking about whatever's handed for them from above. This is supposed to be fun, not a duty!

MsMaclen likes this.
  16. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

how benevolent of you!
    so thrilled you are still here.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  17. So I guess we have moved on, only two-three years ago the OP would have only found Beatles', Monkees', and McCartney threads on the front, so we have expanded.

jay.dee and Bowieboy like this.
  18. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

I read the thread title and thought you were going to be suggesting that we start up a separate oldies forum.

AutomatedElectronics and Sean like this.
  19. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

It's not just new releases. Also looked-down genres like new age.

That is the same problem seen from another angle.

As a matter of fact, I joined here because I was tired of pointless and shallow music "discussions" on social media. It felt old fashioned but also more proper.

This.

Only that in my teens (early Nineties) I was listening more to Genesis, Oldfield, Vangelis and other artist that started in Seventies than to new releases/bands. So maybe I was born old ;P

Also, another funny attitude I find frequently here is to talk abut "history of MUSIC" like it started in the 40s/50s

moodyxadi and Terrapin Station like this.
  20. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

"Death Songs" now on page 1 - JS

21. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Yes, a lot of them seem to think there's more value in 'going out', 'enjoying themselves' and 'having a life' instead.

They'll learn.

22. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Wait a minute! How did The Clash slip in there? Surely some mistake.

Lost In The Flood and e.s. like this.
  23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I occasionally mention older Contemporary Christian Music because many on this forum are familiar with the CCM of the past and like it over today's all praise stuff, older country is discussed because many on here love it over much of the new stuff from Nashville while many love the Americana/Red Dirt stuff though due to its more rootsy sound.

AutomatedElectronics likes this.
  24. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Well, if you're fed up with the frequency of oldies threads or the endless Beatles chatter, there are other message boards out there. Personally, I can't stand the Beatles and I find a lot of the rest of 60s and 70s "oldies" pretty dull and boring. That's why I also split my time between here and on other boards like:

We Are The Music Makers Forums
    for discussing electronic music

The Doomed Forum - Index page
    for doom metal, other metal genres and post rock discussions

Okayplayer.com Boards - Board Main - Forum listings
    for rap and hip hop discussions

New Wave Outpost Forum • Index page
    for new wave and 80s discussions

Blood and Fire • Index page
    for reggae and dub discussions

Yes, the endless schoolgirl obsession with every Paul McCartney burp and fart, the reflexive dismissal of so much modern music, the axiomatic doctrine that rock music made with guitar, bass and drums is the end-all-be-all to music, and the lockstep groupthink that everything 60s and 70s is inherently better than everything else is very tiresome and one of this board's detriments. Doesn't mean you can't go elsewhere.

Travel broadens the mind, as they say, and if you want to broaden your musical discussion palate, you have to travel further afield than just this site.

Smith, jay.dee, Sean and 8 others like this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, if it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have discovered Kate Bush's music.

Gaslight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.