Analog Setup Help Needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by axelsrd, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axelsrd

axelsrd Forum Resident Thread Starter

You guys have been way too kind to me in the past but this may just may just be the perverbial straw.

I have a 5.1 set up. Denon receiver Paradigm monitor 7's (NOT BI-WIRED)for the front. I want to get a 1970's version 2 channel receiver (Pioneer or Marantz) to drive my Pioneer PL-71 turntable and for radio use. Now hold on because here comes my question:

Sinse my Monitor 7's are NOT BI-WIRED, can I use the second set of terminals on each speaker to connect to the 2 channel without harm to the Paradigms? If so, do I have to remove the jumper from the speakers even tho I am not actually bi-wiring them...just using two separate sources?

Second question is...I am currently using a single cable from my Denon to my sub. Can I run a set of speaker wires from my Denon (speaker "B") terminal to the sub? And since there is no separation for bass, can I use just the, say, positive terminal from Denon to positive on the sub.

The thought being I can use my existing front speakers and sub for my analog set up without having to go out and buy separate speakers for.

Thanks guys and if you feel the need to flame me vigorously, it's ok, I can take it.

Thanks Randy

2. Dingusboy

Dingusboy Forum Resident

If I understand the first question correctly and simplify it I get this:

Can I hook up two amps to one set of speakers simultaeously using different binding posts on the speakers (with or without crossovers)?

If this is indeed the question the answer is: NO!
    With crossovers engaged you will send the wattage into the second amp causing damage, smoke and a visit from the audio police. The speakers will remain unharmed.

Without crossovers, you will get low end in one system and high end in the other and never will the two meet.

From what I know, you would really need a selector switch to select whichever option you choose with speaker cable from the both amps running to the selector and then only one run of cables running out to the speakers. I believe Parts Express carries these but I'm not sure.

3. axelsrd

That DOES answer my question. Then I guess the next question would be...what speakers do I use for the 2 channel setup since I cant use the existing ones. Klipsch RB15/RB25 or maybe another set of Paradigm Mini Monitors?

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Does your 5.1 set up have any 2 channel (front only) inputs? If it does, you can take the tape output of the 2 channel receiver and feed it into the 2 channel (front only) input of the 5.1 system. The 2 channel receiver will serve as the phono pre-amp and correctly feed the signal to the 5.1 system.

Just a thought..

5. axelsrd

I want to use the 2 channel receiver for my turntable. I was trying to figure out if it was possible to use my existing front speakers with two separate power sources instead of buying a second pair of speakers just for the 2 channel/TT setup.

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I understand what you are trying to do. I was trying to suggest a method that would allow you to use your front speakers with their current power source, since you mentioned buying another set of speakers for use with the TT.

So, does your 5.1 system have a set of 2 channel (front only) inputs?

7. JMT

JMT Senior Member

At one time both my home theatre and my audio only system were sharing the main speakers. I used banana connectors so I could do a fairly simple swap of cables when I wanted to switch from one system to the other. It was still a tad cumbersome, but functional. I have since purchased separate front main speakers for the home theatre.

8. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Niles makes some switchers that should accommodate this pretty easily. Google Niles switchers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.