Analogue Productions Prestige SACD Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by therockman, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

The SACD release schedule is so slow that I'd almost forgotten about it. So far, on Amazon, there seems to be just six mono titles available:

Jackie McLean - Lights Out
    Jackie McLean - 4, 5 and 6
    Jackie McLean - Jackie's Pal
    Phil Woods & Donald Byrd - The Young Bloods
    John Coltrane - Coltrane
    The Red Garland Quintet - All Mornin' Long

I've ordered the Red Garland title but I'm really looking forward to the stereo SACD releases of the albums that appeared on the Moodsville and New Jazz subsidiarys (Gene Ammons, Eric Dolphy, Benny Golson, etc.)

triple likes this.
  2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The discs become available on Acoustic Sounds first, so when it comes to new releases, their website is the most up-to-date.

You have to add

Tommy Flanagan: Overseas
    The Prestige All Stars: All Night Long
    Hank Mobley: Mobley's Message

I bought those from Amazon UK Marketplace sellers, for £22-24 plus shipping. I use the links on sa-cd.net

http://www.sa-cd.net/alltitles/51

Emberglow likes this.
  3. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Thanks Claude, three more mono releases to add to my list

4. Changeling

Changeling Aut disce aut discede

5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Can someone post a photo of the packaging? Haven't seen what these mini LPs look like, just verbal praise...

6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I'll send a picture tomorrow, but as far as quality goes, I'd say they're good, but nowhere near japanese mini LPs. They're not laminated and the cardboard is a bit wobbly compared to the K2 and DSD mini LPs. The MFSL cardboard sleeves are also of better quality than the APs.

7. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

how about sonically, have you compared with the mentioned?

8. cds23

They're better than the OJCs, but not worlds apart. Also better than the K2s. I haven't been able to compare them to the DSD versions from Universal, but since I have a lot of the latter from Riverside recordings which sound really beautiful, I guess differences are small to neglectable.

theron d likes this.
  9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Very slowly. They just bumped three of the six remaing mono titles from the beginning of April to "Spring 2014".

10. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

Two titles are currently shipping: Taylor's Wailers and Saxophone Colossus. Hopefully this means that the release rate will pick up somewhat.

11. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

Anyone listen to the newest releases yet?

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I haven't compared the AP Saxophone Colossus to my early Victor Japan, but it is quite good.

My Taylor's Wailers won't play properly- stops, starts and goes into fast forward. Never had this happen before. Anyone else having a problem?

13. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Ive listened to them a good bit and overall the series if very nice (SACDs- Red book layer). A few are a tad bit bright and forward but still enjoyable...guess they were that way on the original tapes (I'm assuming here)....

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Is the new Miles Davis Cookin' SACD out yet? Amazon.com shows a release date of August 12th (at a ridiculous price of $45.98), but I figured it would be available through Acoustic Sounds before then. I have not been able to connect to Acoustic Sounds' web site this morning.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Their web page is not operational, no way to tell unless someone owns it already.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

17. KeithH

Thanks, Barry. Good info. Since I posed the question this morning, Amazon's price dropped to $40.98 shipped with Prime, which isn't much more than the other places with shipping added on. However, Amazon won't have it until August 12th.

I'm wondering how the new SACD compares to the DCC gold CD and original Analogue Productions SACD. Rocky? :)

18. cds23

Am I the only one who thinks prices for PRESTIGE SACDs drop much slower compared to Blue Note, Impulse and Verve SACDs?

19. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

20. KeithH

If you are referring to Amazon, their prices on Verve and Prestige SACDs are not as attractive as their prices as the earlier Blue Note and Impulse SACDs. I guess Analogue Productions is not giving Amazon as a good a deal on the Verve and Prestige titles.

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

The new SACD sounds very clear and it kind of has a warm analog sound to it, but this is the first time that I have heard the mono so I have nothing to compare it to. I have listened to it a couple of times and I am really "digging" the bass groove of the mono as compared to the stereo.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

One more thing. As a subscriber I only pay $30 each with free shipping. I think that it is a fair price.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which stereo are you referring to? The sessions that produced Workin', Steamin', Relaxin' and Cookin' were recorded in mono, there are no stereo versions.

24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Also, 10% off right now at Elusive Disc, so I paid $26.99 with free shipping.

25. KeithH

Thanks, Rocky. Much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.