Analogue Productions Prestige SACD Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by therockman, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

According to SA-CD.net, the Japanese SHM-SACD is stereo.

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/6923

EDIT: SA-CD.net is incorrect. I pulled up the SHM-SACD on CD Japan's web site (it's out of print, but still listed), and the obi strip shows that it is mono.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

An error, that's what I thought. The recordings were mono. Thanks for correcting the SA-CD.net error. Leaves me with the question which stereo version Rocky was talking about.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  3. KeithH

No problem. The XRCD and Japanese VDJ CD are labeled mono. The DCC gold CD and 20-bit K2 CD are not labeled, but I assume they also are mono. I doubt there is a "fake stereo" version out there.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They're all mono. As said the sessions were recorded in mono only. The only (fake) stereo versions can be found on "electronically rechannelled for stereo" Prestige LP reissues.

Rocky was specifically talking about "the bass groove of the mono as compared to the stereo" in his reply to your question: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...stige-sacd-series.302681/page-6#post-10720097 I keep wondering what stereo he was referring to.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

AF subscription gets deals with APO?

6. KeithH

Yes, I saw Rocky's comment. I am puzzled as well.

Thanks for the information on the fake stereo LPs. I was not aware of them.

7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

You are obviously right, I don't know what I was thinking. Rough morning.

8. KeithH

I knew something didn't seem right about an apparent price drop of $5 for the Cookin' SACD on amazon.com in a matter of a few hours. Amazon.com appears to have two listings for the same disc, one for $45.98 and one for $40.98. Both are listed as Analogue Productions SACDs and show a release date of August 12th. The more expensive one is listed as an import for some reason. Here are the links:

$45.98: http://www.amazon.com/Cookin-Miles-Davis-Quintet/dp/B000066JLP/

$40.98: http://www.amazon.com/Cookin-Miles-Davis-Quintet/dp/B00KC53YJM/

9. therockman

I always subscribe to Analouge Productions SACD series, it is easier for me.

10. therockman

Keith, I will have to relisten to give a better more accurate comment on this title. I apologize for my silly stereo comments.

11. KeithH

No problem! It happens. Thanks for offering to go back to this SACD.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks for the explanation.

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have seen them do that with Bear family releases, same item one release priced much much higher. Caveat emptor.

14. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

It really isn't easy getting your hands on these Prestige SACDs in Europe, at least not in Germany. Amazon doesn't even list the titles that were released over 6 months ago and seems very inconsistent in pricing them. Most of them cost over 40 Euros, that's $55... too bad ImportCDs takes so long to get these titles in stock, but otherwise they surely wouldn't be able to sell them as cheap as they usually do.

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I own most of the 200g vinyl Prestige releases from AP and have been very happy with those. I'm mainly a record buyer but I bought AP's SACD release of Soulville from their Verve collection and I'm really impressed with the SACD format. A few months ago a member had a mint Marantz SA8003 deck for sale in the classified for a great price so I bought it. I'll be buying more SACDs in the future.

SteelyTom likes this.
  16. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

In the following cases, I already have a well regarded version of the album (not SACD though). Is there one case out of these where the AP SACD is clearly better?
    Miles Davis - Bags Groove (XRCD)
    Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin' (DCC)
    Miles Davis Quintet - Cookin' (DCC)
    Miles Davis Quintet - Steamin' (DCC)
    John Coltrane - Lush Life (DCC)
    John Coltrane - Soultrane (DCC)
    Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (DCC)
    Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness (DCC)

CharlieG likes this.
  17. cds23

I'd say you don't need another version.

SteelyTom likes this.
  18. cds23

Those who order through Amazon, please be careful: the 'COOKIN' SACD which costs $45 at the moment is NOT the new one, it is actually the SACD mastered by Doug Sax over a decade ago. Replace .com by .de and you'll see. The new one costs $40 at the moment.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I always buy AP discs at Elusive Disc (free shipping) :D

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Their international shipping rates if the total value of the order is below $99 are a bit too steep for my taste. Did you have to pay any import duty/VAT?

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

You haven't seen my smiley.... I have a shipping address in US.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, I see. I misinterpreted your smiley.

23. KeithH

Interesting. I was wondering why amazon.com had two listings with a release date of August 12th. As far as I know, the original Doug Sax SACD never went out of print, so I think amazon.com is confused. They also list the $45.98 disc as an import. Weird.

24. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

Can anyone who has received the latest SACDs comment on them? Mine will arrive within a few days, but I am eager to hear early impressions. Thanks.

25. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

It's been a slow August listening-wise, but I should get to these soon and can post impressions. Any word on when the stereo series will begin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.