Analogue Productions Prestige SACD Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by therockman, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I just ordered the mono Miles Davis Relaxin' SACD tonight, I should be able to listen to it this weekend.

I was hoping I'd be able to just download the DSD from Superhighrez, which AP runs, but no luck so far :( I'm also holding off on the Living Stereo AP SACDs in the hope the raw DSD will be made available for purchase.

2. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

Just received Bags Groove and Tenor Conclave. Now these are starting to fly out (by AP standards, of course)! Five more to go. This has been a nice series, in my opinion.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

On the vinyl side of things there are only 4 titles to go, and that has been true since April. Since then the schedule for new releases has been pushed back every month and nothing released. It's been over two years since the first two titles were shipped. I wonder if the last four will even make it out before the end of the year.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What is it about BAGS GROOVE that audiophiles love so much? The tape is drenched in post production echo, added years after the session, is at least 3 generations down and sounds pretty average. Can't figure out why this one gets reissued so much. The music is nice but the sound is pretty bad, even for Van Gelder's redubs. DCC wouldn't touch it for the gold series.

SteelyTom likes this.
  5. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

I was referring to the SACD series, and not to any particular title.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

OK guys, after my big guffaw regarding the stereo version of Cookin' (sorry Keith), I have received the latest shipment of this series which includes Soultrane by John Coltrane and Steamin', by Miles Davis. I have both of these on MFSL SACD and I am thinking about selling the old MFSLs because I do not need two SACDs of each title. The new ones sound real smooth, but there are sonic differences. I have not done a head-to-head comparison yet, but I believe that the AP SACDs are smoother in the bass region and just a tad bit more open and airy. Has anybody compared these two titles on bot AP SACD and MFSL SACD? What are your impressions?

jfeldt likes this.
  7. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Maybe that is why it gets re-issued so much. People know it should sound better. Bag's Groove is one of my top ten favorite Jazz albums.

8. therockman

After just a few listens of the new Analogue Productions SACDs of Steamin' and Soultrane, I must say that I much prefer these over the MFSL SACDs of the same titles. These new SACDs are much smoother than the MFSLs, and are much easier to listen to. The MFSL SACDs of these titles caused a little listener fatigue, while the new AP SACDs seem to have tamed some of the notes that previously screeched out. It is hard for me to articulate, but the MFSL SACD of Steamin' was always very hard for to listen to. It just seemed kind of loud and bright, while the AP SACD of Steamin' is more alive and dynamic, while at the same time it is more laid-back and organic. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I will be selling the MFSL SACDs of these titles in short order because I love the way that these new AP SACDs sound.

mikeyt, SteelyTom and BillG like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't know if you have the DCC versions of Steamin' and Soultrane, but if so, did you compare those and the AP SACDs as well?

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yeah, the DCC discs will be hard to beat. I love Kevin Gray's work though, so I am sure the SACDs are great as well.

11. therockman

No, I do not own the DCC versions of these titles so I can not compare these new SACDs with the now famous DCC versions.

12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Well let's hear:
    1. Miles Davis
    2. Milt Jackson
    3. Sonny Rollins
    4. "Jazz Standard" "Bags' Groove"
    5. "J
    azz Standard" "Airegin"
    6. "J
    azz Standard" "Oleo"
    7. "J
    azz Standard" "Doxy"
    George & Ira Gershwin's "But Not for Me"
    9. Thelonious Monk piano on title track
    10. Prestige "Vol. 1" can go for triple digits

therockman likes this.
  13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I would also be interested how the AP SACDs of the following titles compare to the DCC versions:

Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin'
    Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
    John Coltrane - Lush Life
    Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness
    Miles Davis Quintet - Cookin'
    John Coltrane - Soultrane
    John Coltrane With the Red Garland Trio
    Miles Davis Quintet - Steamin'

14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I have no idea how highly The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions (2006, Joe Tarantino) is regarded here, but how would those in possession of the DCCs or new APO SACDs rate those (Cookin', Relaxin', Steamin') against the former? I'm quite content with that 2006 set myself.

15. therockman

I own that set, the Japanese version. I am happy with it overall but these new SACDs do seem to bring a bit more to the party.

16. therockman

This latest shipment has completed my Mono SACD Prestige set. Impressions on Lush Life to follow.

17. BillG

BillG Forum Resident

They really pushed them out at the end there, didn't they?

18. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I've just ordered 11 hybrid mono SACDs from the Prestige series at Acoustic Sounds and will report on the sound once I had a good listen.

I ordered the following:

Jackie McLean/ Jackie's Pal
    Prestige All Stars/ Tenor Conclave
    Sonny Rollins/ Saxophone Colossus
    Miles Davis/ Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet
    Miles Davis/ Bags Groove
    Art Taylor/ Taylor's Wailers
    John Coltrane/ With The Red Garland Trio
    Miles Davis Quintet/ Relaxin' With The Miles Davis
    John Coltrane/ Soultrane
    John Coltrane/ Lush Life
    Miles Davis/ Steamin' With The Miles Davis Quintet

Edit: so far I only have 4 SACDs of the Prestige series: Tommy Flanagan, the Coltrane debut, Prestige All Stars All Night Long (Kenny Burrell), Elmo Hope

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    jfeldt likes this.
  19. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Anyone with a review of the mono SACD of Coltrane's Lush Life, or of the Elmo Hope disc?

20. cds23

I have both and will try to write a review in the next few days.

SteelyTom likes this.
  21. cds23

22. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Looking forward to the stereo releases from this series...sometime...:waiting:

Starwanderer likes this.
  23. cds23

When's the stereo SACD series starting? It's been over a year since the release of the last batch of mono SACDs.

SteelyTom likes this.
  24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

They used to be listed as "Shipping 2015" - that has been updated to "Shipping 2016"

25. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

Nice thread. If I can buy one or two of MONO Prestige SACDs, which ones do you gents recommend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.