Analogue Productions Ted Nugent S/T SACD (shipping now from Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

Thank you for the heads up, been wanting this badly but will wait for amazon or other to get it. $10.00 for shipping is ridiculous.

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Gas?

The Beave likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I dunno that I'll pop for this one, but I'm pleasantly astounded AP would release a title like this. I'd fall all over myself for an improved Free-for-All, that album has really stood up over time for me, some bit of echo of Alice Cooper's Love It to Death on the darker songs like "Street Rats"

Can Mort Garson's Black Mass Lucifer be far behind?:yikes:

The Beave likes this.
  4. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I've listened to this album since the day it came out, I quit doing vinyl a long time ago, I didn't care for the 1st CD issue too much, I always thought the Aneseni was pretty darn good, I never had a problem with it, But this SACD does improve on it quite a bit, it's warm, very crankable and just sounds like it's more in focus. A real winner I think. Hope they continue and do Free-for-All Next.

5. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I received my SACD of Ted's debut and gave it a spin the other day. This is the best I've heard this album sound. There is some actual body to the bass, and the mix has acquired room too breath. The backwards cymbal effects in Stranglehold were spanning the width of my listening room, and the little percussion accents throughout this recording stood apart in a pleasing way. The different layers of guitars are a wonder to behold. Love it.

I hope Free For All is also given this treatment.

HAmmer and izgoblin like this.
  6. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

It is warm and my initial impression is that this is better overall than earlier CD versions, but I'll need to make a few A/B comparisons.

My biggest nit-pick with this SACD is that the guitar chord repetition at the end of Derek St Holmes's tune Hey Baby is cut off. It runs at least several seconds longer on the original recording, but fades out quickly on this release. This is how I remember the original vinyl and other CD issues; it's also the way Derek & Ted performed the song live. Like I said, it's a nit-pick. This error probably matters more to my appreciation of the album than it does most folks and shouldn't be a deal breaker. It's just that when you expect to hear something that's missing, it's a little disappointing. :sigh:

:cheers:
    Cat

Myke likes this.
  7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Interesting choice for this type of release, just not for me. Do like Stranglehold though.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. regarding the cut-off. I guess it's one of those things that sticks out for those familiar with the album, but as this was my first copy, I didn't notice it. Ignorance is bliss. :)

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

It surprised me when Analogue Productions announced it. Unfortunately, they haven't announced any other Nugent albums. Analogue Productions does a lot of one-offs and some two-offs ( :D), which is disappointing. I wonder if they are testing the waters with these releases and are seeing disappointing sales that don't warrant additional titles or they can only license one or two titles from some artists.

10. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Time will tell, still good to see something else than the same old stuff. Slow trickle these days sadly.

11. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Maybe there was damage to the tape during the fadeout of that song. Hence, the early fade.

12. R. Cat Conrad

Perhaps, but I didn't detect any other audible damage. It sounded to me like a poor edit, which is sloppy for an audiophile release ...even if it is Ted Nugent. :laugh:

I'm still inclined to recommend it. :righton:

Cat

13. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

I wish they would have went with Blu-ray Audio on this one, Maybe on DLG Hopefully

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That would be a smart thing to do, S/T is the best album IMO and the only other one IMO that would benefit from them remastering would be Free For All. Cat Scratch Fever and the studio albums that followed had poorer sound IMO (and material).

izgoblin and Lightworker like this.
  15. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Hmmm......didn't notice this at all with the Analogue Productions vinyl (also remastered by Ryan Smith.)

Clanceman likes this.
  16. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Why? I think hybrid SACD is the best format. You get hi-rez and redbook and there's no video monitor necessity as there may be for blu-ray.

Simon A and Galley like this.
  18. R. Cat Conrad

For comparison, here's a live performance of My Baby with the complete finish as on the album...

I have no idea if there's a difference between AP vinyl & SACD remastering, ...but I do know that the complete finale on the original recording isn't on the SACD. :shake:

Cat

HAmmer likes this.
  19. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I only have the AP vinyl but a friend of mine has the SACD, I'll have to call him and have a listen.

20. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

This seem to be pretty scarce. Have been waiting for it to pop up at importcds.com but nothing yet (cheapest option to ship outside US).

21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

The vinyl is without flaw. The finest of the dozen or so AP 33's that I own. It is cliche for sure, but the Motor City Madman is indeed in the room with you. Scary, I know. This cut is so full of life. I'm interested in the comparisons to the SACD.

I'm with you though, not my experience with the lp either.

22. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

23. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Just got this sacd and it sounds awesome, the best I've heard this music! Really hoping Free For All gets the same treatment, but if not at least I got this one, my fave by the Nuge.

Regarding the Hey Baby ending, there are a few vids on youtube that have the extra bit cut off (quickly faded out). Maybe someone has an original lp to check it out.

24. R. Cat Conrad

When videos fade out they usually aren't live, but that's another topic altogether.

Long ago I had a 70's pressing of the original Ted Nugent LP and the reprised ending on Hey Baby was definitely part of the original recording. Derek's outro will be missed by some folks (like myself), maybe it won't matter to others. As it was Derek's best song on the album it would've been nice to hear it the way he wrote & recorded it, but it is what it is. Obviously the song was played like the album track when they first toured in support of the album as per the Rockpalast video. One other bit of trivial evidence that the live version and album track are alike is that Ted made the bold claim that he eschewed overdubs and engineering tricks in the studio so that audiences would hear on stage everything that was played on record (that was the old Ted Nugent - :laugh:).

I have no idea what happened when this album was remastered, but I'd like to add that my disappointment isn't intended as criticism of Ryan Smith's work in general. His remastering has been praised for a number of prestigious projects including well known classical remasterings such as Zubin Mehta's Planets.

Cat

25. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.