Analogue Productions Ted Nugent S/T SACD (shipping now from Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe that's all they had for a source when AP went to work on the release. I remember the longer fade too.
    Regardless it's a stellar SACD and each time this thread is resurrected I keep hoping for additional AP titles from Ted. CSF and DLG. Maybe the Japanese will do something along the lines of the complete Doobie Brothers SACD WB catalog. One can hope.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

I'm stoked on the Ted Nugent Disc It's just quite interesting when some one had a version of an LP that 's maybe the true or I guess more correct than the one you grew up with.So I'm curious as to the time difference of the two.It was so long ago I had my record maybe I had the longer fade on mine and am not remembering it.I love to hear it one day just to see if it jogs something in my brain . What do you think of the MOFI SACD of the Dobbie Bros? I know it's not the full catalog but those are MY favorites out of the bunch and really like them.DLG is as far as I go (bought WW when came out didn't gel w/me) When Wang Tango hit the airwaves I KNEW I made the right call ,,,,,,,,,,

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4. Natvecal.

I'm confused Mike (trust me it doesn't take much to confuse me) Is this the long fade you guys are referring too? The SACD is one secund longer than this you tube. Up thread the observation seemed to be it went on longer and ended as in the music stops . No fade out . I seem to to recall hearing it normal as in what I had on LP in the late '70s, is the SACD the right ending or not is what I'm curious about. your thoughts

5. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The Rockpalast video from '76 originally posted apparently went "private" at some point, so confusion about the long outro with abrupt ending is understandable.
    This poorer quality one was uploaded by someone to YouTube:

I've compared other live videos of Hey Baby keeping in mind that Ted's performances have become much looser the last 20 or so years (he rarely plays tunes the way they were recorded in the studio nowadays). That said, I've seen a '95 performance on YouTube with Derek on vocals and it's fairly close to my recollection of the studio recording structure-wise, including the outro after the end of the song.

Let me be crystal clear on this. Given the fact that I don't own an original first pressing of the LP anymore, I can't say with certainty that the first Epic pressing had the extended outro with abrupt ending, but that's how I remember it. Perhaps the quick faded outro was introduced with later pressings. Maybe it was the edit intended for a 45 single subsequently used for reissues. Then again, maybe I'm misremembering the track even though I listened to that album a lot back in the 70's.

In any case, if you like Ted Nugget's first album with Derek St. Holmes I'd recommend snagging the Analog Productions SACD while available. It sounds quite good and accurately represents the album content as pressed since the 70's. The mastering is excellent and if I wouldn't let any uncertainty about the outro of Hey Baby inhibit your enjoyment of the album in any way.

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Natvecal. and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Haven't heard the SACD but the AP vinyl version rocks.

And yes, the noodling at the end of Hey Baby is there.

Shvartze Shabbos and johnny q like this.
  7. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Haven't heard the SACD but the AP vinyl version rocks.

And yes, the noodling at the end of Hey Baby is there.

johnny q and Myke like this.
  8. Love the Doobie Brothers too. All of the MOFI SACD's do indeed sound nice. To me they best the previous redbook versions. The one exception is Toulouse Street which is absolutely phenomenal. It is one of my favorite SACD's and I play it often. Reference quality to say the least. I wish MOFI had done more DB titles. If they are available you should pick them up while the prices are still reasonable, about $25 each when there are sales at MD or check import CD. You'll be glad you did.

Also, Warner Music Japan has just released the entire WB catalog on hybrid SACD.
    CDJapan : Search result by ( Doobie Brothers SACD ) OR "Doobie Brothers SACD"
    I ordered them but it may be a while before I have time to listen and compare these to their MOFI counterparts or redbook versions. I'm sure there is already a thread discussing them.

9. Natvecal.

I had the Edsil 2fers which I was happy with .THEN, I swa the MOFIs and was glad to re buy upwards in sound quality. Again I am referring to the redbook layer( one day an SACD player will be in my home.....one day....)Touluose Street through Stampede are my core favorites and am happy to own them!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. Understood. :tiphat:

11. Natvecal.

Thank you The ending is not jogging my memory. But, this is what I wanted so, thanks again . My LP ('76 -'78 I can't nail down exactly when I bought it Somewhere around that period ) fades out. That I know now. BTW,I bought this and no regrets at all!

12. Natvecal.

Hey Mike , check out
    R. Cat Conrad's post #80 for the ending he's referring to. The vid you posted is same as the SACD version & it seems what I can at best, recall my LP sounding like. Conrad's post has what he remembers his LP having. It's interesting . Are you familiar with this version on any LP?

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I just played my first pressing again, and it's the fade with the noodling. I've never heard any extended version.

All is as it should be. I've always liked it so much, that I believe after 42 years, the brain knows we enjoy it so much, that we've tricked ourselves into extending it in our memories.

Natvecal. likes this.
  14. Natvecal.

OK, this is good enough for me . Thanks Mike (also I would anyone to know this topic was not keeping me up at nights!LOL)But ,I was intrigued by what R. Cat Conrad stated and I don't doubt there's maybe something to it all weather misunderstood through memory or not. Example; when Bad Co's Feel Like Making Love was very well known on the air waves .Mid 70's to late I recall .There was an alternative version that would once in a while play and would catch my attention as the fade out ending had the drums stay in volume as the rest of the music fades out.Reaction was, "HEY.... that's not how the song I KNOW goes..." I was in 9th ,10th grade at the time anyone else remember that? I know it's on the deluxe CD.But,at the time no one I knew ever HEARD it except me it seemed. So, I can relate to Conrads lack of proof scenario here .

Myke likes this.
  15. Same experience when I hear the single version of Eddie Money - Two Tickets To Paradise. Usually on AT40 on the 70's on 7. I thought, what is the deal? This sounds like a completely different take as opportunity to a 'single version' edit. Finally tracked it down on CD. I prefer it to the album version, although the SACD or his S/T sounds great, including that original version.

Natvecal. likes this.
  16. Natvecal.

Hey Mike did you ever decide to acquire this or still passing on it? I'm a redbook guy ( financially limited to what I can afford /can't afford) and buying these is pushing it big time for me.But, it's the mastering that has me hooked. this sounds great. The SACD layer I've no doubt is in the heavens sonic ally speaking(from what I've read but, not heard...one day ...one day I will..) I rip and put these on to my ipod that's hooked to a cassette adapter in my Toyota truck to a stock cassette player and I hear the difference (especially when cranking it up) even though I am aware that I've degraded the quality to be able to achieve listening while driving. I would LOVE to buy all the readily available cheap cd remasters/delux...ect...But,I hear the difference and there's no going back.

17. Natvecal.

This really does have a nice sound and that's coming from a Lo-Fi guy here. I like this a lot.

Shvartze Shabbos and Clanceman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.