And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Oh be excited,my friend is still gobsmacked.

2. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

The Master was seen to regenerate normally immediately after his re-introduction as Derek Jacobi in "Utopia"; that's how we got the John Simm incarnation in the first place.

But Missy wasn't the first or only precedent for cross-gender regeneration (regenderation?) in the show, anyway. Matt Smith's very first moments saw him briefly believe himself to be "a girl"; in "The Doctor's Wife" he spoke of knowing a male Time Lord who regenerated into a female a couple of times; and in "Hell Bent" we saw such a regeneration take place right in front of us. (Besides the changing of sex, it was also a change of skin color, which is also something that has long been suggested was possible even if we didn't see it often.)

In Destiny Of The Daleks, while in the process of regenerating, Romana tried on a blue alien form with forehead ridges and gills. In the TV movie, Paul McGann explicitly said he could change species when he dies (guess that explains the "half human" thing right there, not that I ever had a problem with it) and that there basically are no rules, and Christopher Eccleston said he might end up with two heads, or no head! If Time Lords can change to that extent, I don't think changing their genitalia was ever too much of a stretch.

Tristero likes this.
  3. Mental in The U.K. And mental in the US mean different things :tiphat:

4. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

She looked great in the movie Venus.

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I can't believe that this is even a big deal (well, given some of the other overblown Twitter controversies in recent years, I guess I can). Doctor Who has been around for decades now and the character's identity has always been in flux, which is part of what kept things interesting. The more recent incarnations during the Moffat years helped to revitalize the franchise, introducing more young, romantic figures as Doctors. Were longtime fans alarmed by this departure? Though I like what they did there, I was kind of relieved when they brought back an older, crustier Doctor this last time, just to change the dynamic after the last two. Introducing a female doctor should also enable them to help refresh the old formula, creating new character interactions between her and her companions. If the actress is strong--I'm not yet familiar with her work--and the stories are solid, it should succeed. It's not as if the Doctor was ever some sort of macho superhero figure and there's no reason why a woman can't go traveling in time and solving mysteries. I don't know why I expected science fiction fans to be a little more open minded to new possibilities than this.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Again, I'm going to call a "no" on this. I think this all started back when Tom Baker was leaving the role and he wished luck to the new Doctor "whoever he or she might be." That seems to be the genesis of this whole Doctor could be a woman thing. Then, the idea was toyed with in 1986 when Sydney Newman suggested Joanna Lumley for the role of the Doctor, and then again in 1999 when Lumley played a female regeneration of the Doctor for a Comic Relief sketch. (In which Rowan Atkinson also played a regeneration... )

So, there is some precedent.

Like I said, I might warm up to the idea. Depending on how it's played. But, from evidence based on how the female Master was handled, I'm not happy with this decision.

But, this is by no means the only decision made by the "new Who" producers I've been unhappy with since it's return. And, truth be told, I'm far more bothered by several of those than I am this one.

They've already spoiled the 1st Doctor appearance. What could be more "mental" than that?

goodiesguy and tkl7 like this.
  7. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Speaking of those other decisions I've not been happy with...

tkl7 likes this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

A show can't go on for decades and decades without occasionally mixing up the formula. Some risks pay off, some don't. It's understandable that they would try to introduce some love interest with the Doctor, as opposed to the sort of asexual figure he was in the past, but I thought some of the relationships worked better than others.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think that Comic Relief sketches really count as precedent IMO and talking about it in 1986 isn't really the same as actually doing it.

In addition, 1986 was a very long time ago and many people around now, who watch the show, or don't watch the show but are chiming in about this, were probably 6 six years old or not even born. lol

Going with a female as the Doctor was always going to be a bigger thing than creating a new Doctor that happened to be female. I just think that the perception is going to be different.

10. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Wait and you'll find out. Spoke to my friend this morning and he mentioned something to do with the Pertwee Doctor....

11. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Sean Pertwee all dressed up as the Third Doctor?

andybeau likes this.
  12. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

Haha, that was the first thing I thought of, too! Considering that the (working?) title of the special has been reported as simply "The Doctors" and knowing Moffat's love of tying everything together, I suspect we might see all of them in some form...Capaldi's very first appearance as the Doctor was in the 50th anniversary special, where all the Doctors were coming together to save Gallifrey...maybe we'll see that from his perspective in his final appearance! Just a guess/hope, though.

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, if you voice concern, you will be accused of being offended by the female Ghostbusters (I wasn't offended), an all female showing of wonder woman (um, still not offended), or even offended that a black man might play James Bond (I think he'd be an excellent choice) etc. etc. Personally, this reeks of the BBC not believing that they can create a NEW, interesting show with a female lead, so they have to inject one into an already beloved and established franchise. That's fine if they want to do that, but lets not pretend that people who like the existing show are misogynists.

goodiesguy likes this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think you lost me with the bolded, or else you used "revitalized" when you meant to say "ruined."

15. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Yes, but you said that just a few years ago it was "unthinkable." I was just pointing out that it had been thought about. So, that makes it "thinkable."

o_O :biglaugh:

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Oh, I LOVED the female Ghostbusters. But, I HATED that they re-made the movie rather than make a sequel with Murray, Ramis, Akroyd et al. And, yes, I got blasted for saying that. Again, I had NO PROBLEM with a remake, and I had NO PROBLEM with the gender reversals, but would have preferred to see the original cast in a continuation of the old story... and got called names for saying that.

I LOVED the Wonder Woman movie, and the last two Star Wars movies, and I LOVED the Katie Sackoff Starbuck.

I would LOVE to see a female James Bond, or a female Sherlock Holmes, too.

I don't care gender-swapping established characters (but would rather have new and exciting *created as female* characters, like Agent Carter, Black Widow, or Emma Peel) but having a character gender switch back and forth willy-nilly just because... Ugh. Stupid.

And, I don't trust the New Who production team not to screw it up. That's really my biggest problem, I think.

I don't care if the Doctor changes races, either. But changing species would be a silly as changing genders.

I will be counting the "Look, I have tits now!" jokes. When the show hits 5, it gets shut off.

bubba-ho-tep and tkl7 like this.
  17. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I don't want to wait. I want it all spoiled now, so I can complain about hos it is going to ruin the show forever for 4 1/2 months.

Thank you.

:wiggle:

18. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Sorry,the wait will be worth it.

19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

My concern seems to be shared with others in that I'm not opposed to a female Doctor (same as I wasn't opposed to female Ghostbusters) it's the way they went about it.

This seems to be confirmed by the magazines and media outlets that have never ever once mentioned Doctor Who are now celebrating this Time Lady.

That publicity may come back to bite the Beeb as those folks aren't their base and may alienate fans for only a temporary boost in ratings.

I'm withholding final judgement until several episodes in when 13 can do her Doctoring, not just go through the motions of post-regeneration chaos. If she is "The Doctor" first and foremost then it'll be fine, nothing new. If, however, they make "The Doctor" secondary to the portrayal, they could really hurt the brand.

21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

One concern that Peter Davison raised is that the new series has often shown the Doctor to be somewhat unsure of himself, which is countered by having strong-willed female companions. If there is a female Doctor who is unsure of herself and has a strong-willed male companion, that may not play as well... falling into some old stereotypes.

I guess it will all depend on how they portray the female Doctor. I have a feeling she will be portrayed as more confident of herself than some of her male predecessors were.

andybeau and AppleCorp3 like this.
  22. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Ha! STILL not ginger!

Dok likes this.
  23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

fishcane, smilin ed and Haristar like this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Next Dr. Who?
    Pierce Brosnan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.