And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Maybe they'll get a new head of UNIT?

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It began as a children's programme but during the early Tom Baker era, it had an equal appeal to adults. Robert Holmes wrote some highly literate and sophisticated scripts. I can remember asking my Mum: 'What does that word mean?'

It now seems to have an incredibly wide reach, appealing to adults as much as children and arguably more to women than to men.

3. J.K. Baxter

J.K. Baxter Forum Resident

I'm a huge Doctor Who fan. I've seen every episode produced since 1981, and roughly 80% of what came before that. I invested about 2000 bucks in the classic series DVD's several years ago as I was buying them up like mad. I'm intrigued, and I never thought they'd actually go through with casting a woman, and it opens up many exciting possibilities. It's always fun to see a new Doctor's personality, and as soon as she smiled in the short trailer, I saw The Doctor in her face.

For the record, I think that Season 10 was the absolute strongest season of the 2005-onward era. Not a single clunker. I think that 10, 5 and 4 are probably my three favorite seasons of New Who, on the whole.

As for classics? I'm a Sly McCoy fan.

Chris DeVoe and Haristar like this.
  4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Or a new hair color or style. I don't really see the issue.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

There were a couple Hartnell episodes where he got to flirt a bit, but overall, yes, the asexual nature of the Doctor was one of the defining elements of the original show.

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, but there was certainly a substantial LGBT fan base that followed the original series - probably one of the most influential segments of fandom now and then.

Haristar likes this.
  7. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Not that wide - Countryfile is more popular! Doctor Who is a top 20 programme by viewing, not top 10.

8. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

Well, see, now they'll have to meet. Will probably have a third character look at them briefly, act confused, and move on.

Colin M likes this.
  9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The UK is not the only market for Doctor Who, however. A much larger international audience exists for it than Countryfile.

Siegmund likes this.
  10. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Only a matter of time before the world catches on to the delights of Countryfile.

andybeau likes this.
  11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

When Matt Smith left there was a lot of talk about a black Doctor and lists of seemingly every black actor who lived in the UK and odds over who would be the sensible choice. This time around it seems that those lists were torn up and it was declared that the doctor had to be a female and the BBC either took (depending on your point of view) the bold or easy path and we got a female doctor. I personally don't mind either way who Doctor Who is but this seems to be massively important in the UK, pushing Brexit out of the lead story for a few days.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  12. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

If the BBC still owned Bake-Off you could have a series with all the ex-Doctors competing to see who could make the nicest biscuits and cakes. Opportunity missed!

tkl7 likes this.
  13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

As you know, the First Doctor got engaged to an Aztec woman and the Second Doctor had moments of frisson with the odd human (in Web of Fear and Wheel in Space) but that was before his back story had been established (although he was established as an 'alien' from the get-go).

tkl7 likes this.
  14. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Always had my doubts with Tom Baker offering Jelly Babies to Leela! ;)

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Tom offered jelly babies to everyone he met. He was that easy! :)

Colin M likes this.
  16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It's still a kids show.

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Exactly my point. Try telling that to the thousands of man babies out there currently.

18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Indeed. I don't even think she is that "hot", either. I mean, she isn't terrible to look at , but she seems rather plain to me compared to most actresses. I'm a straight man but I would say that David Tennant was a more stereotypical "hot" lead.

And btw, what she's wearing in the clip isn't her final getup. That hasn't been decided on yet.

Gaslight likes this.
  19. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

:)

20. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Dear GOD, I hope so. Nothing against the actress, but she's been shown too many times as a complete screw-up to be credible in the role anymore. IMO.

Blame Turlough and his speedo! :biglaugh:

21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I know. It's too easy to confuse the two because all white women look the same.

But seriously I hope she returns to her natural hair color for the role.

LivingForever likes this.
  22. J.K. Baxter

J.K. Baxter Forum Resident

I'd also say that the Third Doctor was a bit in love with Jo Grant...was jealous and sad when she got involved with a human doctor, and he left.

Siegmund and tkl7 like this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would characterize it slightly differently. The original show was more of a family show, for both kids and grownups (with a bent for scifi), whereas the nuWho is a kids show where grownups watch begrudgingly with their kids (usual caveats apply about generalizations).

tkl7 likes this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

A lot of us in the US never saw this as a kid's show. It was never really marketed to children after the first couple of years - PBS channels often showed it at 11 PM in the omnibus format - it was more of a cult teenage stoner show here from the get go. I remember the first time I saw the Daemons, in black and white, after dropping a couple of hits...

knob twirler and Siegmund like this.
  25. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I'm not really a viewer of the new version of Doctor Who, preferring to stick to the original version from my childhood. So I don't really have a big emotional investment in who becomes the next Doctor. But with every change of Doctor, there is some complaining about how the series will be ruined. The simple fact is that Doctor Who is a series that depends on regular change in order to renew itself. The series has been going through a bit of a slump in recent years, probably because there hasn't been a real change of vision. Had they hired another actor to be a status quo style of Doctor, I imagine the slump may have easily continued. And the slump may still may occur, but I suspect the change to a female Doctor will likely bring renewed interest in the program and may even attract new viewers.

I suspect that after a few episodes, people will stop viewing Jodie as a "female Doctor" and will just seeing her as "THE Doctor."

Siegmund and Dusty Chalk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.