Andy Pratt

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roger Thornhill, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member Thread Starter

Some months ago I remembered an album that I meant to pick up in the mid 70s*: Andy Pratt's 'Resolution'. Looked on ebay and as luck would have it the auction for the original vinyl was about to end in about 5 minutes time.

I really love this album and curse not having it before. Anybody have any of his others? And are they any good?

* there are quite a few like this incl. 'The Who By Numbers'...one day...

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I love Resolution, too, and I bought it when it was new. I never bought any of his other albums, though. Don't remember why. His next one was Shiver in the Night, and although it sold better, I never had a copy. I don't think I've even heard it. I found this out in the "history" section of his website.

http://www.andy-pratt.com/

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I loved Avenging Annie, so bought Resolution as an LP, but it was like another mentality at work. Didn't get into it.

4. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

I had the self-titled second album back in the day ('73, when it was released).
    Very quirky, not bad.
    It's generally regarded as his masterpiece.
    Unfortunately, it's no longer available.

5. Oldfred

Oldfred Member

I always liked Avenging Annie off the ST album but Resolution was his best album. I've got the Andy Pratt, Resolution and Shiver In The Night LPs plus the Razor and Tie 'Resolution: The Andy Pratt Collection' CD which has Avenging Annie and two cuts from Shiver. Good sound on this CD.

If you're an EMusic user, they've got dang near all of his stuff including the OOP 'Andy Pratt' in Lame VBR MP3s. Probably the only way to get it now.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Had his first 3 albums.
    Records Are Like Life (rock/Jazz)- Polydor Records 1969/71
    Andy Pratt (rock/pop commerical) Columbia Records 1973
    roger daltrey covered Avenging Annie
    Resolution- (soul/pop/commerical) Nemperor Records. 1976

7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Pretty much agree with the posts here. Resolution is his best, with the self-titled LP a quirky close second. He released New Resolutions a few years ago that's kind of a mix of some new songs and material from some of his other albums that actually works quite well. His Covers album is interesting too.

I think most of his albums are available on CD and downloads from the It's About Music website.

http://store.itsaboutmusic.com/andypratt.html

8. xios

xios Senior Member

I am a big fan of the S/T album and didn't care for Resolution at all (too mainstream sounding I guess). I've only ever seen Canadian pressings of the first album.

Lightworker likes this.
  9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thanks. Resolution has been OOP for a long time.

10. johnniedee

johnniedee Forum Resident

Andt Pratt rocks out

Andy Pratt reunited with his guitar player from the Resolution/Shiver In the Night albums Mark Doyle for some new tracks recorded at Marks home studio with Mark playing all instuments. If you go to the itsaboutmusic site check out the I'm Alright and Live at the Village Underground ( cd's or download )
    you will be pleasently surprised on how Andy can really rock out as compared to the earlier stuff.

11. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ebay has 'Shiver in the night' right now so I sense another investment opportunity...

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I saw him at SXSW a few years ago, he played before Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs. It could be the singe worst performance I have ever seen, uncomfortable in its badness, really awkward, and I felt bad for the guy. It was kind of like watching the crazy professor from Back To The Future sing.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the only other song i ever liked by him besides "avenging annie" was "sing", i can't even remember which album it was on.

all in all i didn;'t care for him very much.

14. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I remember playing his S/T LP, but I looked for it in my collection.... guess I must have dumped it. (should be filed just before the PRETENDERS)

15. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

I second that on the SXSW performance--it was truly terrible (in the sense that it was obviously unrehearsed, unprepared and unprofessional)

16. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I used to have the LP with Avenging Annie and Shiver in the Night. My recollection is that neither equalled the awesome all-killer quality of Resolution. I just got a copy of Resolution from itsaboutthemusic.com to replace the vinyl I unfortunately no longer have. (Very nice analogue sounding CD.) I was reminded what a super record it is, boosted not-a-little by genius production from Arif Mardin (Aretha, Rascals, Bee Gees, Roberta Flack and many more). Resolution is a desert island disc for me but I don't remember the other two as being as strong.

17. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

He's very interactive with fans on MySpace and YouTube, from my experience. I left a comment on his page and, though I didn't expect it, he wrote me back with a personal note. Very cool guy.

18. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I have "Andy Pratt" on Columbia and "Resolution", "Shiver In The Night" and "Motives" al on Nemperor. "Resolution" is certainly my favourite, with "Shiver In The Night" coming in 2nd.

19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

yeah, for my buddy & I who were there, its become a running joke "Yeah I saw this band last night, they were really terrible, but they were no Andy Pratt":laugh:

20. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

^^Bump^^

I've been listening to his first two albums lately. I'm surprised these don't get more "cult" attention... he's got a unique oddball slant. I see on Wiki that he released another 18 albums and it sounds like his 3rd and 4th are the most popular on this thread. Any fans?

21. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The first 4 albums or so are really rock solid, amazing. I've listened to the "Christian" album he did in the 80s and it was OK but nothing compared to his 70s output. Then I didn't really listen to anything else.

MisterPleasant likes this.
  22. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I have a U.S. press of the '73 album.

bibijeebies likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Who's Roger Daltry was a big fan.
    Prefers his first, then second album.
    Blue eyed soul Nemperor albums I also bought. His name by about 1977 signified something else.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.