Andy 'Thunderclap' Newman – RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rediffusion, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Although I only bought 'Hollywood Dreams' about 12 months ago I always loved 'Something In The Air', I found the album to be a true undiscovered treasure.

Another untimely Rock death in 2016, RIP Andy.

2. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this clip, first time I've seen it. My hazy memory of first hearing Something In The Air was on Top Of The Pops with a singing drummer who nodded his head all the time. I loved it instantly and bought it.

It got to No.1 so they were on again and my equally hazy memory of that is that the singer was now fronting the band on guitar. And for the next 20 years or so I never saw any footage of them at all, until I saw the Beat Club clip posted by the OP. So now I know I didn't just dream the bit about Speedy Keen as a singing drummer.

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

RIP to the post office worker. I love "Something In The Air" and Hollywood Dream.

The entire Thunderclap Newman - Newman, Keen, and McCulloch - has now passed on.

4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

RIP Andy

5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

His music is in my collection. "Something In The Air" is timeless IMHO. Rest in peace to Andy and the band members.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

definitly 'Something In The Air' this year RIP

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love that zany piano playin' - RIP.

8. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident

Looks like their FB page has confirmed it now, I know some people this morning were rightly questioning if this was true cos lack of info on the web. RIP. 'Something In The Air' is such a tune.

9. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Loved "Something In The Air". One of my favourite songs ever!!

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

While "Something In The Air" gets all the (deserved) accolades it's a shame that the rest of the album doesn't get the same praise. Not a bad song on it, it's a minor classic that should be heard by more people.

Harrocks, Grootna, HJY1 and 4 others like this.
  11. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I'm not very familiar with his other work, but I do have "Hollywood Dreams" on both CD & vinyl. "Something In The Air" is just an awesome song! RIP Mr. Newman.

12. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're right, I don't see any news reports but this is on their Facebook page:

It's with great sadness that we report the passing of Andy "Thunderclap" Newman. He was a true original. R.I.P.​

13. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Agree, it's an album (or CD) that should be in any rock fans collection. While the Drake mastered CD is good, I'd love to see Audio Fidelity do this as an SACD.

RIP - Mr. Newman and thanks to you along with Messrs. Keen, and McCulloch for the gem of an album.

14. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

Was entranced by Something in the Air via the Magic Christian soundtrack. I think I got the LP or 8-track (seems like the 8-track) as a cut-out at Woolworth and was not disappointed. Definitely something off the beaten track and fairly unique for rock. A few years ago I finally made a CD-R of my favorite tracks. Brings back a lot of memories.

PGB likes this.
  15. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

That's sad to hear. 'Hollywood Dream' was in heavy rotation during my psychedelic mid-'70s college days. All the different style songs leading up to the frenzy of 'Hollywood 2" into the swirling guitars of 'Something in the Air' was always enjoyable.

16. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Don't know if he's really gone, but after Keen's death I thought "so the guy who looked like the geezer in the lp photo is the only survivor". Hope it's a false rumor.

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Always liked this medley that Labelle did in 1973.

Harrocks likes this.
  18. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, it is true. Andy was a great man. He was truly one in a million.

"Music is a form of expression which transcends language and words . I feel that it has a greatness which surpasses near material things and if I die having done something musically great, I will die happy." - Andy Newman

[​IMG]

PGB and rediffusion like this.
  19. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Thank You! Until I mentioned it to them on the FB Page,they were mum about it,the latest update was 2014.

20. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Andy 'Thunderclap' Newman dead at 73 »

"The Who confirmed Newman's death in a Facebook post, which reads: "It is with great sadness that we report the death of Andy 'Thunderclap' Newman, who passed away yesterday age 73. Rest in peace.""

21. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Something In The Air - IMO one of the best 45s of all time, one of the most deserved #1 singles and certainly one of the best singles from the end of the sixties... Each time I hear it, it evokes so many mental images of the age and I wasn't even born until months after it was released.

I have the 1991 UK Polydor Holywood Dream CD - the album is a great listen and essential for the inclusion of Wilhelmina which is my favourite track on there also have the SITA single with that as the b-side.

If you've not heard it, not just on the big hit single but elsewhere you'll hear his tinkly piano 'interludes' and it makes the album all the more unique and quirky. Wonderful.

RIP Andy. And thank you.

PGB likes this.
  22. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

R.I.P., Mr. Newman :cry: Thank you for the wonderful music.

23. beep

beep Senior Member

I remember Something in the Air from the soundtrack of the movie "The Strawberry Statement", a story about student demonstrations against the Vietnam war back in the late 60's. I haven't played it in a while, there's some great music on it. I'll have to pull it out this weekend.

PGB likes this.
  24. I hadn't realised that - thankyou for pointing that out.

Very sad indeed.

Best Wishes,
    David

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

RIP

:

Ironically "SITA", this was Townshend's only number 1 single- producer / bass player / inspiration.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.