Andy 'Thunderclap' Newman – RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rediffusion, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Rare interview

Grootna and OneStepBeyond like this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I still listen to Something In The Air on a fairly regular basis, and I spin the entire album occasionally. That's a sign of quality and substance, thanks for the great music.

Grootna and CCrider92 like this.
  3. PGB

PGB Procolholic

So that completes the band Thunderclap Newman, I guess, as the other two principal members Jimmy McCulloch and Speedy Keen had predeceased him. Their bassist, Bijou Drains, lives on under the alias of Pete Townshend. Love the quote from the article: "...Life is just a game, you fly a paper plane, there is no end."

And the hit Something In The Air was featured in the great (IMO) film The Magic Christian.

The album was one of the great one-offs, ever. And neither Andy not his music was of his time. And I agree that the long version of Accidents, and the B side Wilhelmina are really fine tunes. Oh, and Stormy Petrel. Real party music, what?

I have the 1991 Polydor CD with lots of bonus tracks and the single version of Something (same length, slightly differernt mix...)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Grootna and OneStepBeyond like this.
  4. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Absolutely correct. A rare classic one-off - huge critical respect through the years.

ralphb likes this.
  5. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Also featured in The Magic Christian with Peter Sellers and Ringo!

6. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Well Andy, you sure did do something great. Quality vs quantity ...

7. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

What a remarkable figure he cut in the pop landscape of the 1960s! He seemed to encapsulate a wonderful freedom and humor I associate with that time frame, and in that way it made perfect sense there was no 1970s transition for him. How could such a decade, with its glam and disco, make room for such an unfashionable fellow? "Wilhelmina" is one of those pop cuts that make me grin just thinking about it, a little less now I suppose with her suitor having taken his leave. But I will always remember him and treasure the gift of his presence as well as his music. RIP

PGB likes this.
  8. PGB

PGB Procolholic

The album's still around, at least on CD. A 1991 remaster but sounds good - adds a bunch of singles and B-sides.

9. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is Jimmy McCulloch's brother, Jack still alive? He played drums with them for a while.

10. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Back when I was a hyperkinetic ball of sexual tension aged 15, I made a C90 tape entirely filled with something In The Air and Icarus Ascending by Steve Hackett.

To be honest I knew neither that the band had an album nor that the drummer was singer.

Now, as an older and wiser hyperkinetic ball of sexual tension, I shall be on the lookout for the LP.

And kudos to the OP for such a touching tribute to Mr Newman.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P...SITA was a special song! loved it.

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

RIP to all three for creating a truly classic album, which I played tonight.
    I was never really sure how much of this came from Townshend, rather than the band. In the end, it really doesn't matter. Great music.
    Life is just a game....

Grootna likes this.
  13. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

There were 2 great "fight songs" that came out in 1970. One by Neil - "Ohio" - and the other by Thunderclap Newman
    "Something In The Air" and Neil/CSNY's "Ohio" - twin sons of different mothers - 2 of the most important "fight" songs of the 70's

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  14. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Jack is still alive, yes.

rediffusion likes this.
  15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Not to hijack Andy's thread, but John "Speedy" Keen's solo records after the band are worth a listen, especially the first, "Previous Convictions". The US copies are all credited as "Speedy" but there was some confusion with the UK copies, I've seen some where the cover and label was printed as John Keen and a "Speedy" label was slapped on the cover over that later. Anyway, they're cheap (US or UK), so go get one if you liked the Thunderclap Newman LP and want to hear some more.

winojunko76 likes this.
  16. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Anyone know Mandrake Memorial's cover of Something in the Air?

17. I loved SITA. The music lives forever, that's what we have to remember and take a little solace in. With each passing artist we lose, the music still remains.

Rest In Peace, Andy.

18. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Something In The Air was easily equal in power to Good Vibration to catch your ear and hook you in. I rediscovered the album about ten years ago thanks to this site, it's a masterpiece.
    Thanks for the good times, R.I.P. Andy.

Sternodox likes this.
  19. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

It's almost unbelievable in this day and age of internet sharing and eBay trading just how difficult it was to chase down a copy of the Hollywood Dream album in the late 1970s/early '80s. After years of playing (and loving) the singles 'Something in the Air' and 'Accidents' and searching everywhere for a UK Track pressing of the elpee, I eventually imported (through Holland, IIRC) an expensive US re-release on MCA with an awful cover. I just simply had to hear the album but nobody seemed to have it. I'm playing the 1991 CD right now, LOUD.

R.I.P. Andy, and John/Speedy and Jimmy, too. Your music will live on with me forever.

Grootna likes this.
  20. 1959

1959 Forum Resident

They were pretty good live too.........

Grootna, winojunko76 and Bill like this.
  21. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Trying to get a copy of that full concert.

22. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

For me ... exactly the same. Both wonderful earhooks.

Grootna likes this.
  23. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Sad news. Was just listening to a mint UK Track of "Hollywood Dream" last weekend. Took forever to track down a clean copy...paid a lot for it but it's one of the best records from the early Seventies imho. Just heard the news from a friend tonight. Listening to "Rainbow"...his solo record. Sounds like the weirder parts of "Accidents". What a talented and eccentric style. He should have scored silent movies as side project. There will never be anyone else like him. RIP Andy!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.