*Angel City* a shout out 4 them. WYO?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gotityet0, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut Thread Starter

spinnin' *Angel City : Face To Face* now, and it occured to me that they deserve a shout.:) WYO?

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I assume you are playing the USA version since you mentioned Angel City, not The Angels??

These guys are fantastic, the Aussie albums are the ones to get if you are a fan. The USA Face to Face is a "best-of" featuring cuts from the first 3 Aussie albums (S/T, Face To Face and No Exit). I think the cuts on the USA disc were remixed by John Boylan so they do sound a tad different.

Grab the live album Liveline if you do not have it already.

3. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Right on, great album. "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again" and "Marseilles" were two of my favorite songs in the eighties.
    I have a promo album that has a great raw version of "Underground" that I dig out and listen too. Great band....:thumbsup:

4. eelkiller

My faves were Shadow Boxer, Take a Long Line, No Secrets, After the Rain & Marseille.

Shame that they are not better known over here in North America. I wonder how many know that Face the Day is not a Great White song.:)

5. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

I think that making them change their name may have confused people in North America. :shake:

6. gotityet0

shame only 3 peeps know them. :thumbsdn: yes I know it's early, but geez.

7. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Is there a good Australian web site to order cds?
    I'd like to see if any of the early stuff is released.

8. gotityet0

9. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

For some reason, it seems like every "rock-n-roll" band that came out of Australia in the late 70's and early 80's were defined by the media as an AC/DC copycat. It wasn't fair. Rose Tattoo and The Angels come to mind, both very good bands that deserve a second look.

10. texron

texron Rory On

Take a Long line was on MANY compilation cassettes that I made. What a great song.

wwright likes this.
  11. eelkiller

They were basically unknown here when the "Angel City" Face To Face" album was released in North America in 1980 unless you were fortunate enough to have heard the 3 import LP's. I doubt changing names had a lot of effect as most did not know they existed until the compilation came out.

FWIW the USA Dark Room LP is also different from the Aussie version. The USA has the song Ivory Stairs which was originally on their third LP No Exit in Australia.

If one is looking for the best versions of their CD's the original Mushroom discs from Australia are great. Some of the remasters do have bonus tracks so they are essential as well but have the non-forum approved sound. The Liveline remaster features 10 bonus tracks.

12. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Do you know if the song "Underground" is on any cds?

13. eelkiller

You forgot to put "Paul and Heather" in the thread title. More hits guaranteed.

14. eelkiller

Yep - it is on Two Minute Warning CD
    Metal Blade USA 9 26361-2

Here are some others from the early days.
    The Angels S/T - Albert Australia 465235-2 - feastures the original Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again
    Face To Face - Albert Australia 465237-2 (remaster is on Axe Killer)
    No Exit - Albert Australia 465236-2 (remaster is on Axe Killer)

Thee is a Dark Room /Watch The Red 2-fer that has eluded me. Someday I will find one.

The Complete Sessions 1980 - 83 Box set is also worth getting. It has numerous bonus tracks including hidden stuff at the beginning of the CD's (you have to scroll back from the start of track one to listen to some of these tracks).

15. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Thanks, I've been looking around, it's going to be hard to find the Metal Blade label, I see a few on the label, Liberation Blue (Australia). I have the other three.:thumbsup:

16. eelkiller

I think Liberation Blue are the remasters (I could be wrong). I think the Metal Blade title was OOP quickly.
    There is a Liberation Blue CD of Two Minute Warning on Amazon. The Metal Blade however is selling for over $45 :(

17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I remember seeing one of their videos on MTV when MTV first started and played videos from "unknown" artists.

Just went on amazon to hear some 30 second clips. Sounds good! I'll have to pick up an album or two.

I recognized one of the songs! American Heartbreak covered "Am I Ever Going To See Your Face Again" on one of their albums.

Australia has had such a great music scene from the 70's til today. Are there any bad or mediocre bands from Australia?

18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I was into this band back in the early eighties. Recently, I hunted down the vinyl for Dark Room, Night Attack and Two Minute Warning and transferred them to CDR. Face To Face I already had on CD.

I opted to go the vinyl route after reading reviews of the remasters on Amazon that stated how much louder and clearer the sound was. Yikes!

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I've recently picked up Face to Face, Dark Room and Night Attack on vinyl. All for a buck apiece and NM to boot. Great band.

20. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

All the talking we did last night made me thirsty for a drink of Angel City. I put my "Face to Face" on and it skips all over the last three songs, ugh!
    Now I am going to buy a new one, Rats.:confused:

21. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

The second I awoke this morning, 'Face the Day' popped into my head. Kinda weird since I haven't listened to my copy of the 'Darkroom' lp in about 20 years or heard the song played on the radio, etc. Still too lazy to dig out the lp to spin --- so I'm listening to it here as I type. :edthumbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swTNdImPU18

22. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

In my book, the greatest Aussie band EVER. Beats the pants off ACCA DACCA more often than not!

23. eelkiller

Nice to see another fan here. We may reach 10 here yet.

24. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I love Angel City. Early MTV fav. My Favorite track was Fashion and Fame.

I have the remasters of The Angels - Dark Room and Night Attack on Liberation Blue. Great bonus tracks! But the sound is harsh and LOUD. But its nice to have them on disc.

25. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Jet....!!!! :hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.