*Angel City* a shout out 4 them. WYO?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gotityet0, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

+1 :hide:

I love the Angels From Angel City.
    What number would I be?

Oddly enough, I heard 'Marseilles' on the radio a few weeks ago!! :righton:

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

3. Idler

Idler Active Member

You may be interested in what the guitarists for the Angels are up to these days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZGxBr4x_Hc.

BTW I'm disappointed there isn't a decent 80's youtube clip of them doing "Am I Ever Going To See You Face Again". Maybe the "traditional" Australia refrain during this song of "No way, get f****d, f**k Off" is a bit much for youtube sensibilities (although it was regularly broadcast on Australian TV during the 80's - late at night though).

4. Idler

Idler Active Member

5. Idler

Idler Active Member

6. TimDoyle

TimDoyle Forum Resident

7. Rat44

Rat44 Forum Resident

Count me in as a fan.
    Beyond Salvation sees regular play.:righton:

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Angel City is one of my favorite bands of the 80's. And I don't have that many.

I do think that they kinda had an AC/DC sound going, but they had a very different approach to songs. Somewhat like a cross between The Clash and Lords Of The New Church. Slightly political, slightly conspiracy theorist, all drama.

I think it's hysterical that they had to change their name for North America. Did anyone really think they'd be confused with "The Angels" girl group? Or Angel, the glam-rock band? :laugh:

9. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Being an young Aussie lad growing up in the '70s The Angels were one of the first bands to make a big impact on me. The Face To Face album was released in 1978 and was the first record I ever bought.

The power and energy in tracks like Take A Long Line and Comin' Down was like like a bolt of electricity through my ears!

The Angels are a hard rocking band with a super tight yet laid back rhythm section, fat riffing guitars, melodic, soaring solos, and an energetic frontman that is equal parts intellectual and visceral.

Unlike most hard rock bands, The Angels music does not display strong blues and R&B roots (except the very first self titled album). Their songwriting and guitar work is much more creative, and more centred on melody. Lyrically, their material can be fairly obtuse and quite abstract. They rarely sing about partying and shagging chicks!

They are one of the best bands to ever hit the stage in Australia, but unfortunately never cracked the US market. They had some success on the college circuit over there, and were quite popular in the Seattle area particularly.

Guns'n'Roses have often namechecked them as an early influence, and Great White have covered a couple of their tunes.

Their recording career spans 1975 to 1998 and there is much variation in style from release to release. The Angels re-united in 2008 for the 30th annivarsary of Face To Face and toured nationally, selling out all shows. They continued to tour into 2010.

As of this year, the singer Doc Neeson is fronting a solo project, and the other guys have teamed up with Dave Gleeson of The Screaming Jets. They've just recorded an EP and just this week are playing two shows to support it, one in Sydney, and one in my home town, Adelaide.

Here's the new tune with Dave on vocals - Waiting For The Sun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9g3eiZ_9k

Cheers,

Mark

10. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Great band! A friend and I were talking about how much we liked Face to Face just the other day.

11. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

The Angels were never really my cup of tea, but their best-known songs were inescapable on the radio when I was growing up, and I appreciate the craft and power of their radio hits. I think these days the chant-back of 'Am I ever gonna see your face again' is one of the things you need to know for the Australian citizenship test, along with Don Bradman's batting average.

Funny - it never really occurred to me that they were remotely similar to AC/DC.

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They were really theatrical with an amazing light show for a pub band. I saw them at RMIT and they had all these gaffer tape crosses on the stage so they knew where to stand when the spotlights hit. The guitarists never improvised. They played exactly the same solos as the records every night. Face to Face and Dark Room were literally loaded with hit singles in Australia.

13. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

Awesome band. Dark Room is my favourite Australian album ever!

14. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Re the comparison to AC/DC......IMO they are not very similar at all - the songwriting and guitar approaches are entirely different.

A big part of The Angels rhythm sound is palm muted 8th notes. AC/DC almost never do this.

The other difference is that Rick Brewster of The Angels is a highly melodic lead player, composing his solos and riffs with liberal amounts of major scale notes. Angus on the other hand is very blues and early rock'n'roll based, forming his solos from the blues and pentatonic minor scales to a very large degree.

Lyrically AC/DC is all about sex and booze. The Angels hardly ever sing about that stuff.

The only real similarities are the guitar tones and the prolific use of open chords with the 3rd omitted.

Cheers,

Mark

15. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Cool band. I have reissues of Dark Room, No Exit, Face to Face (australia) and a more recent effort Flesh & Bone and really like them all.

16. eelkiller

17. D Schnozzman

18. eelkiller

I have bought from them before, I am jealous of people that can actually visit the shop. :)

19. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

[​IMG]

Love it

20. D Schnozzman

It's a fair hike from my place, so I haven't actually been there since April. Have bought some good Oz rock and metal stuff there over the years. Always worth the trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.