Angels In America returns

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ralphb, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..." Thread Starter

I know this thread won't get much traction, but for those of you in or near the NYC area, and if you have the time/money to invest, do try to see this revival. Tony Kushner's 7 hour riff on politics, AIDS, gay America, religion, faith, power mongers, corrupt politicians, madness, the closet, sex, survival and hope is still relevant, perhaps even more so these days. The entire cast gives it everything they have, and Nathan Lane, James McArdle, Andrew Garfield , Denise Gough and Nathan Stewart Jarrett are stunning.
    I didn't think the HBO presentation could be bettered, my husband didn't think the original production could be topped, but we were both wrong. An immense, magnificent, how the hell did he do that masterpiece of American theater, if you can manage it, go. Your heart , mind and soul will benefit greatly.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's an amazing play. I saw it during the original run on Broadway. Marcia Gay Harden was unbelievable.

MikaelaArsenault and ralphb like this.
  3. ralphb

Denise Gough plays Harper this time around and she's a mixture of vulnerability, fear and steely resolve. Amazing.
    We went to the first night of previews for Millennium Approaches and they got a (well deserved)ten minute standing ovation at the end. Same thing happened at the end of Perestroika the other night. The show is a real mind blower on many levels.

MikaelaArsenault and vamborules like this.
  4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I saw this production in London last year, a really great experience. Worth travelling for.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I've never seen it on stage, but I was blown away when I stumbled upon the HBO show on TV back then and bought the DVDs right away. I actually watched it again a few months ago. What a brilliant and unique series.

vince, MikaelaArsenault and ralphb like this.
  6. ralphb

Until now,I had only been familiar with the HBO DVD, which I'd seen about 5 times. The stage presentation is stark, mostly in shadows with neon surrounding each set, giving the whole thing a very nocturnal feel. It has minimal set design, with everything either on revolving stages or a small proscenium that rises and falls. Prior's bedroom is depicted by a mattress and a few books. Some sections, like the Mormon mechanical diorama, are pretty much exactly like the movie. It all works because it forces you to concentrate on the text and acting, all of which is brilliant.

7. wolfram

Sounds fascinating, though it's hard for me to imagine that rather epic story put on stage (though that's were it originally came from). How long is the stage presentation?

8. ralphb

We saw it in preview, so the run times may change:
    Part 1 - Millennium Approaches, ran 4 hours and 15 minutes including 2 fifteen minute intermissions.
    Part 2 - Perestroika, ran 4 1/2 hours with 2 intermissions.
    You can see it on separate nights, as we did, or go for one big gulp of Part 1/dinner break/Part 2.

The actors really earn the crazed audience reaction they get at the end. The director came out before the start of Part 2 and thanked the audience for the wild reception they got on the opening night of previews the week before, mentioning that it had meant a lot to the cast.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  9. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

I saw Millenium Approaches in Berkeley years ago. I hope this means eventually I'll get a shot at Perestroika. Just an incredible theatrical experience.

10. wolfram

Wow, that sounds pretty epic as well.

ralphb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.