Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bill Hart, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Australian crime family, volatile personalities, paranoia and a realistic vibe make this a compelling watch.
    Anybody else take this in? I saw the same director's Rover first, and that led me to this film.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've heard good things. Animal Kingdom received the World Cinema Jury Prize for Best Dramatic Feature at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, dominated the 2010 AFI Awards and saw Jacki Weaver given an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

A killer movie. Much, much better than Rover . . . oh wait, don't even compare them, Rover is Lean Cuisine Lite with no salt or sugar added, almost tasteless.

Be forewarned --- Animal Kingdom is dark, dark, dark. But I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It's not a movie I would probably watch very often (I've only seen it once), but that is because of the emotional impact it wallops you with. Again, a really fine film. I don't find many well made movies where the story telling and characters are so consistent. Jacki Weaver is truly brilliantly creepy in it. Volatile personalities and paranoia are great descriptors of several characters in this movie!

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep, rather than focusing on the violence per se, or the cat and mouse of cop v criminal, the movie really aims at the behavior among the crime family- how their paranoia and self-protection drives them toward mean ends. The drama came from the build up of tension over the ever tightening noose around the family. Mama was brilliant- ruthless, utterly charming, with a sick relationship to her 'boys.' This was a powerful film, well acted, believable. I've been very impressed with the work coming out of Australia. The Proposition is another killer film that I caught a few years ago.
    Glad you all chimed in.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  5. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Is this what the new TNT series is based on? Wondering what everyone's thoughts are now that we are 3 episodes in?

6. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

As an Aussie, I'm biased, but this was very intense and well worth watching. It's great that actors Jackie Weaver and Ben Mendelssohn are getting better known around the world, due to quality films like this. We also had a TV series based on true crimes called UNDERBELLY - anyone who liked this may like that. Then there's the very entertaining JACK IRISH, starring Guy Pearce, about a former lawyer who has friends in low places - this has dramatic and comedic aspects. Then there's RAKE, about an out of control barrister, starring Richard Roxburgh - also very entertaining. Hope that's given all you fans of Aussie shows something to investigate !

Brenald79 and townsend like this.
  7. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Great movie! You should also check out the 1995 Aussie mini-series Blue Murder, for a good look at the real life bent cop Roger Rogerson.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I guess not many people here are watching the US TV series based on this movie.

But I think the TV series is really really good. Great tension. Colorful and interesting characters. Enough dimensionality that even the worst of them is in his way empathetic.

I wish I didn't have to wait a year for season 3.

9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

im with you. I scanned for posts about it but nothing till this. and since imdb did away with the message boards no place to talk about shows these days. I was really impressed. the acting is fantastic, barkin especially and ive been hooked, and they really left us with a cliffhanger....

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Wow this a great show. Just heard about it today. No clue how it's so unknown. Reminds me a lot of Sons of Anarchy mixed with Bloodline.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I hope Underbelly is available in North America someday. Only the first 3 seasons are available here on DVD and they're not on any streaming channels.

aussievinyl likes this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Season 3 of the US show just started on TNT. Dennis Leary stars.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I've seen a few episodes, but for the life of me, every time I see/hear this show's title being referenced, I can't help but think of:

[​IMG]

clhboa and GodShifter like this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Perfect description of this show. I’ve watched about four episodes so far. I like it. Pretty sure one of “Peaky Blinders” brothers is in this.

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, I watched the first episode of the third season a few days ago. I really liked seasons 1 and 2 and hope

that with the death of the brother, they haven't completely upset the chemistry of the show...remains to be seen.

Brenald79 likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes, Finn Cole plays almost the same role in Peaky Blinders, the young addition to the family of criminal brothers.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Another good episode. It’s a petfect summer show. TNT had so many adds for the show during the NBA Playoffs. The adds worked, I turned off the boring NBA finals on ABC to watch this instead last night.

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So after doing a quick search I saw that although this show gets mentioned a lot in various threads, there isn't a dedicated thread to it so here goes! Animal Kingdom is a TNT show based on an Australian movie/book of the same name. Based on true events, the story is about a modern day Ma Barker, played to perfection by the amazing Ellen Barkin (Smurf), and her gang who also happen to be her sons. The show takes place in California and the boys are adrenaline junkies (think Point Break), who when they aren't pulling these incredible heists, are either surfing, parachuting, or jumping off cranes to scratch their collective itch! The season 3 finale (season 1&2 available thru Amazon Prime, VERY highly recommended!) is this coming Tues. and I gottatellya, the show's firing on all cylinders right now! Oddly enough, the 1st 1/2 of the season involved Barkin's character being incarcerated and while she's in there, one of the boys fathers (all have different dads!) pops up, played by Denis Leary. This was a classic fail. Leary had no spark and the writing in general seemed to reflect it. He inexplicably leaves the show just as Barkin gets out, the whole thing felt like a classic Hollywood screw-up. I was truly looking forward to some Leary/Barkin fireworks but it never happened! But here's the thing, since his departure and her return, the show's overall quality has taken a quantum leap for the better. The last few episodes may have been the best of the entire series. I've dramatically oversimplified just about everything regarding the show in order to make this a quick read. Fans of heist flicks like The Italian Job, or Breaking Bad/Sons Of Anarchy type shows (Yep, the quality of this show is right up there with those guys!) should have no problem with Animal Kingdom. Smurf Rules!;)

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I liked the first two seasons very much. Seemed like they were going into uncharted territory without Scott Speedman in S3.

Denis Leary made me weary as did Deran’s haircut. Not oversimplify things here (or tie them into existing shows with same actors), but this seems a bit “Peaky Blinders” with some minor differences.

I like the show (haven’t seen season 3 yet), but it’s not, in the least, very original.

20. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I agree with the above post about Denis Leary, he isn't adding anything to the show, just him playing himself (basically). I stopped watching after the 1st two seasons, it was starting to drag for me.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Big mistake for Deran to cut his hair. Was better with long hair like his brother.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I watch this show!

In season three now

The show kind of creeps me out though

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The last episodes showing him with long hair were actually him wearing a wig!;)

Thank the incredible Ellen Harkin for that, she plays the mom with such an inappropriate underlying sexuality towards 'her boys', its totally creepy!

Tree of Life likes this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

This is probably in my top 3-4 favorite current shows. Great SoCa locations and cinematography.

The feature theme music at the start of each is by Atticus Ross of Nine Inch Nails.

GodShifter and Tree of Life like this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Isn't this one about the same show?

Animal Kingdom