ANK Audiokits Have Arrived! Follow the Build Here

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Raylinds, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Looking good Ray!

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

So now both speakers have been veneered:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to start finishing.

3. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Wow Ray those look fabulous. I can only imagine how much prettier they will get with coats of lacquer!

Raylinds likes this.
  4. Raylinds

Rebbi,
    I saw your blog and it was very well done. The veneering process is very complicated that I had to research and have a friend of mine who is a professional carpenter supervise me. I don't think I could properly explain it. BTW the silver voice coil kits are beyond my budget too, but I am not very practical.

5. rebbi

rebbi Active Member

Enjoy the process and the results, Ray. And do let us know how those speakers sound. I'm eager to get your impressions!

Raylinds likes this.
  6. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished speakers! Great job!!!

Raylinds likes this.
  7. Raylinds

Rebbi,
    A little more info on the veneer process:

The veneer I used is paper backed and has an adhesive so it is peel and stick. This doesn't work well for all applications but it sticks very well to the plywood that the speakers are made of. As you can see in one of the photos posted, I put bondo on the plywood endgrains to ensure a smooth surface for the adhesive, and sanded it down smooth. I then rough- cut the veneer for each surface so there was about an inch overhang on each side. The wood surface was fine sanded and cleaned with alcohol to ensure there was no dirt or sawdust.

The veneer was applied and then I used a strait edge on its side and a very sharp raxor to cut the veneer so it was about 1/16- 1/8" from the edge. I then used a sanding block to carefully sand the veneer flush.

The speaker openings were a particular challenge, but I basically felt the edges of the opening and cut a circle about a 1/4" from the edge. I the cut small sections to within about 1/16" or so from the edge and used a circular ended sanding stick to sand it flush with the edge.

I still have to do some very fine sanding to do and will hit the edges lightely at an angle so the edges are not sharp. I have a walnut colored stain pen that I will use to darken up the edges.

It was a pretty time consuming process- probably about 15 or so hours. My friend built me a small box to practice on before I did it on the speakers.

8. Raylinds

I am very undecided whether I want to go with a satin or gloss ply finish and would love to hear people's opinions.

The satin would be much easier aqnd the gloss will show any imperefection and will require many coats, but it may be worth it.

9. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Have them French polished if you cannot do it yourself - gloss finish.

gingerly, Raylinds and DaleH like this.
  10. rebbi

rebbi Active Member

Very cool, and very impressive, Ray. Thanks for the details.
    I just acquired a pair of Omega Alnico Monitors. Louis Chochos of Omega has a background in furniture building, I think, and his cabinets show it. Mine has Ebony veneer and the fit and finish is gorgeous. I applaud you for your courage in attempting such an involved process! :righton:

rob303 and Raylinds like this.
  11. Raylinds

Rebbi,
    I very seriously considered Omega speakers- from what I understand they are really good. Please share your impressions when you hook them up.

rob303 likes this.
  12. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Ray - those are some mighty FINE looking cabinets!

Raylinds likes this.
  13. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I'd go gloss. I also wouldn't use the grills as I like the contrast of the blue driver against the wood veneer.

Raylinds likes this.
  14. Raylinds

I'm beginning to think that no grills is the way to go. My significant other would prefer the grills, but she won't force the issue. The thing is, if I install the fasteners for the grills, it won't look right if I decide to leave them off.

15. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Oh, I thought the grills were held on with magnets. Honestly, to me, they look great without the grills. I've never actually seen anyone using AN speakers with grills on.

16. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

you could get your woodworker friend to make grills that wrap around the front and just get held on with pressure. Like a frame, and the speaker would be the artwork.

17. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I see they're back up for sale. What didn't you like about them?

18. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Definitely gloss! It will be more work, but you will love them when they are done. Also, no grills. Just one guys opinion, but the speakers are beautiful when left as a thing of beauty and no cover.

19. james

james Summon The Queen

between the amp thread and this thread, I could read these threads all day. Almost needs a dedicated forum

*raises hand to build and host site/forum*

David Cope likes this.
  20. Raylinds

Well I did a lot of research and decided to go with a gloss finish using Antique oil and the process that nitsuj suggested in post #116 in this thread. A lot of work, but it should be worth it.

21. rebbi

rebbi Active Member

Hold the phone, I may be keeping them after all. I think something went funky during shipping from the previous owner. They are settling down with extensive (re-) burn-in, and Louis is on board helping me sort this out. May have a happy ending after all! Awesome guy, that Louis Chochos.

rob303 likes this.
  22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Wow. Those are fast heading to sublime. I cannot wait to see the final result; kudos, it has been really special seeing all of this labor of love.

Raylinds likes this.
  23. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Ears adjusting to the new sound maybe?

24. rebbi

rebbi Active Member

Beyond that, I think. But I'll know more soon.

25. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Outstanding speakers. They sound great with an all tube system.

rob303 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.