Anne Briggs influence on Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Richard Thompson and so many more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Anne Briggs

[​IMG]

Your favorites by Anne and songs such as Blackwaterside, which Anne taught to Bert when they lived together.

Bert and Anne together...amazing stuff

My fave...her last in 1971

[​IMG]

2. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

Hadn't seen the video above until a good friend shared it today... but her last LP with guitar and her uniquely fine singing is my favorite. She and Bert lived together for a while - their association was quite fruitful. She taught Bert Blackwaterside, which became his signature tune. Notoriously wild (jumping in the sea and chasing seals, a heavy drinker) , Richard Thompson was inspired to write "Beeswing" about her....my fave. Thompson recalled only "meeting" her twice and both times she was drunk and unconscious. Her last album "Time Has Come" is her singing with guitar and is my fave, Quite influential then and now. Bert and John (Renbourn) recorded several songs that she taught them and later recorded, and Pentangle recorded her "Time Has Come".

[​IMG]

3. lemonade kid

4. lemonade kid

5. lemonade kid

6. lemonade kid

Richard Thompson's song inspired by Anne..

7. lemonade kid

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Anne was also the subject of Sandy Denny's song "The Pond And The Stream". They were very close friends, even after Anne quit the music scene and moved to a small coastal village, where she apparently still lives, quite happy with her rural life.

9. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Thx for posting this.
    Good listening. Good info.
    Very influential artist

janschfan and Fender Relic like this.
  10. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Anne Briggs can be seen in this incredible documentary footage of the Watersons... :love:

11. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Yes, thanks for posting this. As a massive Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny fan, I need to learn more about her music..

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Grateful for this thread.
    :cheers:

13. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

Original and beautiful deep cut from her second album showcasing her bouzouki playing.

14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Get this book...
    Electric Eden - Wikipedia
    ...it may change your life. Or at least your buying habits. :p

15. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

bluemooze, royzak2000 and Subvet like this.
  16. New reissue of The Time Has Come due soon in digital and analogue.
    Merch | Anne Briggs
    Up on Amazon UK as well. I currently have the 4MWB from a few years back which is average from memory but it's been some time since it had a spin.

I can't say I'm familiar with Earth Recordings so any feedback is welcome but I've put in a pre order.

speedracer and DeRosa like this.
  17. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Indispensable.

18. Colin H

Colin H Forum Resident

I have several Earth vinyl releases. They all sound good. I've contributed notes to a few, including this one (slightly revised notes from the last Sony CD edition). This reissue will be the first time it's been on vinyl since 1971 - at least as far as I'm aware.

speedracer, marmalade166 and Alan2 like this.
  19. Thanks for that update, looking forward to the release.
    As I noted above 4MWB did do a vinyl release in 2008, I'm sure that this one will be an improvement.
    Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come

bluemooze and lemonade kid like this.
  20. Colin H, you wouldn't happen to have had anything to do with this excellent book? Dazzling Stranger: Bert Jansch and the British Folk and Blues Revival

21. Colin H

Colin H Forum Resident

I would.

marmalade166, lemonade kid and nibor like this.
  22. One of best and most informative music books in my library.
    What are the chances of a similar work on Richard Thompson. I imagine it would be blood from stone getting information from RT. The Patrick Humphries biography is well out of date by now.

23. Colin H

Colin H Forum Resident

Thank you. I've written a book on John McLaughlin and London in the 60s that is a kind of companion piece to DS ('Bathed In Lightning'), and a book on Irish piping ('The Wheels of the World') that is probably ignored by most people outside of that world - though it's really like a history of the blues (Ireland's equivalent), and should appeal to anyone fascinated by lifting up stones and finding curiosity beneath. No chance on a Thompson book, I'm afraid.

royzak2000, janschfan and nibor like this.
  24. lemonade kid

hmmm....none of the media/listens I posted above are appearing today with firefox. Hopefully they will be back soon! Try Chrome..they are working there.

25. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Does anyone know how she influenced Sweeney's Men? I believe she traveled around Ireland with them for extended periods? I have the Anthology 2CD set, one of my greatest finds, excellent stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.